Skip to content
HSG = CRAMPING?
Ladynw810 posted:
I went for my HSG today and thankfully my tubes are not blocked so I can proceed to the next steps. But, has anyone else who has had this procedure had any problems after? I was told that there would be menstrual-like cramps during the procedure which I didn't have and I was fine afterwards. But now, 7 hours later, I'm cramping like crazy.

Am I the only one experiencing these cramps?

LLnMS responded:
I had a HSG back in March I think...and I think I remember pretty much feeling crappy and a little sick for the rest of the day and that night, but I don't recall it continuing past the day of the HSG.

HTH and hope you feel better soon!!!

4maddison responded:
Hi there. I got pregnant on my HSG cycle, the dr. said my tubes were completely clear and open, his exact words were they were "beautiful". I had menstrual like cramps during the procedure, but as soon as they finished they were gone. I also had to use a pad for a day and a half after the procedure to catch the excess dye and spotting.

And I forget now exactly what I felt, but I remember I felt mild cramping on and off from a few days afer the HSG to about 2-3 days before my period was due. At the time, I figured it was just a side effect from the HSG, but now Im thinking it was from implantation.

Well Good Luck! I hope the HSG works for you. if you have any more questions feel free to ask me

absski19 responded:
I had my HSG in September and I had cramping as well. I cramped the whole day and it lessened the next day. It should get better if it hasn't already. Good Luck!

siepmanm1 responded:
had some crampng afterwards but the worst part was the actual HSG. Mine was VERY painful and I'm not usually too sensitive to pain. I even had a shot of toradol beforehand. Glad to hear yours wasn't uncomfortable. The cramps are normal, they should subside. Good luck!

An_252141 responded:
To add one more data point to the discussion The place where I did the HSG had instructs everyone to take 4 Advil/ibuprofen (i.e. 800 mg) prior to the procedure. The tubes were not blocked, and I had barely any cramps during or right after the procedure, so I also figured everything was fine, but once the drugs wore off (4 hours after I took them), HOLY CRAMPS Batman! Although I took additional Advil as soon as I was able (about half an hour after starting to feel the effects), I was quite sore the next day. So the moral may be -- make sure to take a full dose of Advil an hour before the procedure, and at least once (possibly twice) every 4 hours thereafter.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Unexplained infertility TTC for 3 years Cyst on r Fallopian tube removed, the the BFP started rolling in! IUI# 5 BFP m/c 8-9 weeks IUI 7 BFP due A...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.