Skip to content
Heart rate and gender
Sherri1976 posted:
Is there any truth to the old wives tale that links heart rate to gender? I had my 9.5 week u/s on Friday and the baby's heart rate was 179 bpm. I was just wondering what everyone's experiences have been.

TIA!
Sherri (34), DH (43) TTC 2006-2008 MFIF and endo, Chose adoption after IF treatments - Alexa was born 4-15-09.  Surprise BFP!  EDD 9-26-11

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Well from my experience there is no truth in the tale. My children's heart rates were all over the place. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Hopefully 20 weeks will get here soon and you'll be able to see what gender your baby is then :).

Take care,
Emma

beachmommy5406 responded:
I'm not sure either. They say anything over 140 is girl, under is boy. But, if I remember correctly, my son was always in the 140s. I do know that this baby started off high and now fluctuates between 142 and 160.
Maura (31) DH (32) Parents to one amazing 4 1/2 year old son and got our BFP on 10/10/10 (hpt) after our 2nd IVF cycle. U/S showed one healthy baby due on Father's Day. We're on the surprise team!

Dyzkneegrl responded:
I don't know if its really true. I am having a boy and he has been in the 150's! My doctor said that it does seem to work out that way most of the time but not always! Good luck to you!

Katherine
Me-Katherine(39)DH(38)TCC for 9 years m/c 2-10@ 8 weeks BFP! 9-16-10 EDD 5-29-11

Kara1015 responded:
Hey! hope you are feeling well! so excited for you! For me there was truth to it.. Kaelyn's heart rate was always high in the 170s range. but Michael's started out high but then was usually in the 140-150s range. Will you find out what you are having?
Kara(34), DH(33),dx w/stg 4 endo and MTHFR. DD-Kaelyn Mae born 1/14/09 after our 4th IVF cycle. Expecting DC 2 due to a suprise BFP on our own, June 11th-yellow team.

mommyin2011 responded:
Im having a boy and his HR is been in the high 150's and high 160's. I also thought the old wives tale was the opposite...high for boys low for girls...

BTW: I found out the gender at 16 wks at a private U/S place near my house. It only cost me $25.00!!! maybe you can find out in 6wks!!!!!

good luck!
Me: 28 DH: 26 2 fur babies IUI 9/11/10 BFN - IVF planned for March 2011 but found out im pregnant on Thanksgiving morning! Such a Miracle! EDD 7/31/11 - BLUE TEAM!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, Andria (39) DH, Ron (39). Married almost 8 years now (anniversary April 20!), together 13+ years. 4 m/c's including ectopic preg... Most recen...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.