Skip to content
Tips for first time moms
Kris_07 posted:
After reading Rose's post about the bad nurse I thought I would give a couple of tips that I know about labor and delivery. If anyone else has any tips please add them!

My first tip would be the nurses and doctors work for you. You pay them! If you have a nurse that you don't care for you can request a different nurse (a great job for DH)

Also, if your family is driving you up the wall have a nurse ask them to go to the waiting room so you can rest, or whatever you need. It's much better to have your family mad at the nurse than mad at you :)

All the goodies in your room are for you! Take the diapers, little pink tub, pads, etc and don't be afraid to ask for a couple extras if it's something you need. I tore really badly and loved the spitz bath and they said I could take it home and I loved having it.

That's the main ones that I can think of right now that might not be very obvious. Hope this helps some :)
Kristy(26) DH(30) DD(2) IVF1 1/08 BFP, FET1 1/11 BFP, Beta1 1/28-192, Beta2 1/31-793!!! Heard the heartbeat-119bpm at 6w1d. Macy is due 10/8/11

jlm76 responded:
Thanks, Kristy, this is great! I am going to tell DH about tip #1 - I am definitely of the mindset that *I* must be the one doing something wrong if I'm not getting along with someone, and I'm sure I'd just suffer in silence.

That said, I have not given much thought to this part of the process -- I somehow still don't quite believe that it will ever happen. I'm still so nervous, waiting for something to go wrong.

And on a totally random note, I love the name Macy. It is super cute! :)

KOOPERSMOM responded:
Good post Kristy! I had issues with having people in my room ALL DAY! I had a huge private room in the hospital where I work and DS was born at 10:29am and there were people in the room until like 9pm. I was furious. There was no curtain seperating the lounging area from the pt area and when I finally was able to get up to the bathroom after my epidrual wore off (hours and hours later) I had a lovely audience, which was not fun.

Also, make sure if you want to breastfeed you ask for lots of help. DS did not latch on and I felt like I had to really ask for the help that I got and even that wasn't much.

Can't think if any more right now, but if I do I will certainly share!
Sarah(36) DH(36) IVF/ICSI 1 DS Kooper(3), IVF/ICSI 2 m/c at 9.5 weeks, IVF/ICSI 3 BFN, FET of 1 hatching blast EDD 11-20-11. Yellow team!

Kris_07 replied to jlm76's response:
Thanks Jen! :)
Kristy(26) DH(30) DD(2) IVF1 1/08 BFP, FET1 1/11 BFP, Beta1 1/28-192, Beta2 1/31-793!!! Heard the heartbeat-119bpm at 6w1d. Macy is due 10/8/11

Kris_07 replied to KOOPERSMOM's response:
Ooh good tip Sarah about breastfeeding! I have a great hospital that wants you to BF and DD was difficult so they were always in and out of the room checking on us.

rosecam replied to Kris_07's response:
This is a great thread.

I agree on asking for help on breastfeeding. I asked and it made a huge difference. I also agree on the nurses issue - I did *not* ask, obviously, and DH and I both wish we had.

One more tip is to bring Lanolin ointment with you to the hospital. My hospital didn't provide it, and my nipples were sensitive from the breastfeeding. The lanolin made a big difference. The crazy thing is that the nurses and lactation consultant all recommended it once I was already at the hospital, but I had to get it on my own! On the flip side, see what you can get from the hospital - little things like a good pacifier can be really useful. My SIL got all sorts of things from her hospital - a diaper backpack, a tummy-wrap thing, breast shields, a bunch of receiving blankets, and more. And if you're having trouble breast-feeding at the hospital, see if the doctor can get your health insurance to pay for a pump for you - it can save you hundreds of dollars.
Rose (31) DH (32). TTC for over 2 years, 4 fresh IVFs plus 2 FETs. BFP 11/26/10. EDD 8/3/11.

kzim517 responded:
A couple things I have learned, both from my own experience with my first and from working alongside L&D...

1) I would actually recommend talking to family and friends about visiting before the big day. We told our family that we didn't want visitors until we said we were ready. Absolutely no one while I was in labor, that time was for my husband and me, our last moments as a couple before becoming a family. And you absolutely deserve those first "moments" with your new baby to be as long as you want them to be. You will need rest! People can visit you once your home.
Also talk to the hospital staff too, they are SO used to being the "bad guy" - it's part of our job! Just tell them that if anyone comes, you are not up for visitors, or give them specific names, or times, whatever you want.

2) Tell the nurses what you want to participate in or know about. My biggest disappointment was that they gave my son a bath and neither of us got to be there. It still breaks my heart to think about, for some reason it was just something I wanted to do. Don't feel obligated to do that particular task; for me, it was just one of those things that I wanted myself or DH to be present for. I am used to newborn baths, and I guess I just wanted to do that for my baby. But it goes with anything. You deserve to know what's going on.

3) DON'T feel bad about having them take the baby so you can sleep! I tried so hard the second night to keep him, but that second night is a nightmare! He screamed and screamed, and I was so exhausted. Nurses can handle those little screamers - they actually like having a chance to keep the babies for a while. If you need the rest, just ask them for a break.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all! My name is Jennifer. My DH and I have been together for almost 9 years (married 4). We discovered we suffered from MFIF about 5 years ago ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.