Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
so confused on baby gear
Lopersgrl posted:
YAY!!!! 13 weeks today and i am so excited. However with excitement comes utter confusion and pressure. As I am getting further along I am feeling the need to start getting everything together. We have not bought anything as of yet. Most things I am waiting to find out gender. When I do my research on stroller/car seat combos, cribs, play yards, or anything like that I just dont know which direction to go. They all seem the same to me. What to do, what to do.
Me(23) DH (24) TTC 5 years w/1 M/C after 2 years. 3 rounds of clomid and a BFP on my own on 2/2/12. Due in October.

deliela999 responded:
I'm already starting to think about this stuff and my head is spinning. My sister has a 6 month old and loves to research everything to an insane extent. I told her I'm going to let her do the research and tell me what to buy, and if I end up feeling lousy and not wanting to shop I'm going to have Discover send her a card on my account to buy stuff for me. Good luck figuring it out. I will tell you we've found the second hand stores to be a fantastic way to save money on clothes and some other items.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
You can set up your sister as a co-registrant on a baby registry. That way, she can add things and you can log in and look at what she picked, before buying. I registered at Amazon.com and Babiesrus.com. They both have lists of "must have" items and items by category.

I'm 25 weeks and am having twins. I have 0 experience with babies, so I'm trying to research what to buy. My mother and sister in law have already bought us a pack and play double bassinette for the babies to sleep in for the first few months. Then, my friend is giving us her daughter's crib.

As far as strollers, we're going to get the car seats that snap into a stroller so that we can lift the babies out of the car and they're ready to go. I've also bought a couple of diaper bags, bouncy seats, play mats, and high chairs. I found some Boppys at a big consignment sale. Those things are $40!!! I bought mine for like $10 each.

When do you go to find out the gender? Sooo exciting!!!

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Duh, I just realized that it's Deliela's sister who's helping her, not you, LOL!

Maybe one of your family members or friends can help you choose things. It's always fun shopping with friends and family.

Lopersgrl replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
lol... i dont really have a lot of family and the ones that i do have either dont have kids or didnt buy hardly anything with their kids and wouldnt be able to tell me squat. I also dont have many friends. I have a lot of acquaintances but not many friends and the ones i do have dont have kids. So basically I have no one to help me in this process. My SIL did tell me I could use her crib since she only had it for a few months and then took it down for lack of space.

it's all overwhelming and I know it will pretty much be trial and error. I just dont have a lot of money to waste on things i dont need or wont use.

I should find out the gender around the middle of May. Hopefully i will schedule my gender scan at my appt tuesday so i should know exactly when then. I did take the intelligender test and it said boy. I know those things are not reliable but it has been fun waiting to see if it was right or not.
Me(23) DH (24) TTC 5 years w/1 M/C after 2 years. 3 rounds of clomid and a BFP on my own on 2/2/12. Due in October.

BridgetBurke replied to Lopersgrl's response:
Here are my list of essentials (not including diapers which you will of course need!). I had bought a ton of stuff I never used with DS or didn't use until much later.

For right away:

1. Infant car seat with detachable base. Do not get the travel system with the stroller. It is huge, heavy and does not fold well to fit in vehicle. I had an SUV with DS and if I took the stroller I couldn't put more than 2 bags of groceries in it. Instead opt for a frame stroller. It fits the infant car seat and is super lightweight (and cheaper).

2. Pack n play with bassinet sleeper. I know some people like a bassinet for their bedroom, but the pack n play is more practical. You will want baby to sleep in the same room as you for a few months (especially if you breastfeed). Both options accomadate that, but after baby grows out of the bassinet you are stuck with a worthlass piece whereas the pack n play can grow with your child. (We still use ours when we travel because I don't trust hotel ones.)

3. Infant tub. Makes bath time so mush easier. My son still prefers his (We got the Summer brand infant spa tub. Looks like a claw foot tub. Used an insert when he was small to bathe him) Also, saves water and decreases the amount of water he can splash. (Super bonus! LOL.)

4. Infant towel and washcloths and baby bath and lotion.

5. Infant "bouncy" seat. Great to put baby in to nap while you get stuff done. Great to move to your bathroom so you can shower while baby snoozes and not worry about them being alone in their room.

6. Everyone loves cute baby clothes and they are so hard to resist, but unless we had pics or a dr appt I found myself daily going to the old faithfuls of onesies and cozy sleepers. Comfy for baby and easy on you for the many diaper changes and "blowouts" you will experience in a day.

7. A Boppy!! Whether you nurse or not. Great for baby to rest on (with supervision) and do tummy time on. Also, handy to comfortably bottle feed (and that was from DH when he would give mommy a break and feed DS expressed milk) and hold baby.

8. Any tummy time mat. DS loved the jungle theme one we had. Lots of bright colors.

This is just a small list. feel free to ask me about any item you are unsure of. I will answer as honest as I can. Also, go to the store and try everything out. Unhook carseats and fold up and push strollers. Be hands on! Afterall, it's your money. They should be happy to show you stuff. (Babies r us has no problem with this.) Happy shopping!!

beckyatmoms replied to BridgetBurke's response:
Agree 100% with the travel systems....such a waste! So heavy and big I hated using it. The snap and gos are much better.
Becky (35) DH (31) DS (12) DSD (5) MFIF TTC 3 1/2 years
IVF 1 (2/10) BFN
IVF 2 (3/11) BFN
IVF 3 (12/11) BFP....TWINS....EDD 8/23/12...PINK TEAM!

Lopersgrl replied to BridgetBurke's response:
Thanks very much. Your post really helped a lot. I didn't know you could purchase strollers that would still hold the car seat without it having to be the travel system. I will definitely post any questions I have on items i plan to buy as I go. I love this forum and all the help I get on here. You guys are wonderful and very helpful.

I would love to purchase a pack n play with bassinet but my room will not accommodate something that big. I have a very tiny room. I will most definitely look into it though and see what I can do.

nordygirl33 responded:
I was the same way until my friend told me to buy this book called baby bargins:) It was a lifesaver. can't believe your 13 weeks. Time is flying.

Lopersgrl replied to nordygirl33's response:
I know. I didnt get many symptoms and now ,what lil I did get are gone. I told Dh today that it was weird to not feel preggo at this point but know that we will find out the sex in 1 month. It's so exciting.

I will check out that book. Anything I can do to figure this out will be a major help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Taryn (22). I met my DH (29) in 2006 and we were married 12/8/2007. I have PCOS and DH has MFIF issues. It took three rounds of IUI's a...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.