Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Birth Story, ER visit
no1phillygirl posted:
Short version:

Eliza Ida(middle name is after my paternal grandmother who I absolutely adored and miss very much) was born on Tues 4/3 at 7:43pm via c section. 6 lbs 4 oz 19 3/4 inches long.

Long version:

I was admitted to the hospital on Mon. 4/2 for the scheduled induction on 4/3. They gave me the Cervical shortening med that night and I didn't sleep a wink. Slight contractions started and then Tues morning they took out the med(its like a tampon) and then at 8:40 administered the Pitocin. The contractions started getting harder. At approx 11:30 my water broke. I was in shock. The contractions started coming more frequently and were getting much stronger. They were practically on top of each other. They gave me a med to take the edge off the pain until I got the epidural approx 2:30. At this point I was still only 3cm. They checked me again at 5pm and I was 4cm. The Dr said she would check again at 6:00. Well it was not even at 5cm yet. The baby's heart started to decline slightly and there was blood in my urine. They said that it would be best to get the baby out. So they immediately got me ready for a csection(which is what I had planned on doing all along but figured I would give the vag delivery a shot). It really sucked that I had to go through all of that to still end up with a csection. Oh well. At 7:43 Eliza Ida was born. She is beautiful. 6 lbs 4 oz 19 3/4 in long. I would post a pic if I knew how too.

We were discharged on Friday 4/6.

On Sat 4/6, we took the baby to her first Pediatric appt. She lost 9 percent of her birth weight in the hospital(breastfeeding has been challenging) so they didn't want to wait until Mon.The baby did gain an ounce and was now 5 lbs 12 oz. After the appt, I noticed that my already swollen feet were worse but my right leg was really bad. I felt like I had a weight on it and couldn't walk. I ended up going to the ER and spent 5 hrs there. They tested for a clot and preeclampsia. My blood pressure was a little high and I ended up having a trace amt of protein in urine. They were going to admit me but said that I could go home and follow up with OB on Tues to recheck urine and blood pressure. My husband and I were so upset. I just came home with the hospital the day before and now would possibly have to be admitted. My husband was making plans for someone to watch the baby if that happened. It was very upsetting and stressful. I will post an update after my appt on Tues.

I want to thank everyone for all of your support throughout the years. I am so happy that I can finally post my birth story. I am so in love with this little girl. I can't get enough of her. I love sleeping with her laying on my chest.

I wish all of you the best with your journey to motherhood. I will definitely be following your posts. I will be joining the PAIF grad board.
Marla(43) DH(33) BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

melikib responded:
Marla! How great to read your birth story! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl and I hope you are feeling better soon. You have been an inspiration to me over the years ( I think we've been on these boards the same amount of time). You never gave up...I'm so happy to read you finally have your little miracle!

Please keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Mindi
Mindi(38), DH(35), 3 IUIs with injects bfn, 1st IVF bfn, 2 FETs bfn, 2nd IVF ectopic, 3rd IVF Jan/Feb '11 BFP!! MC March 'll. FET BFP Oct '11! Due July 5, 2012!!

no1phillygirl replied to melikib's response:
Thank you Mindi. You have also been an inspiration to me. You, me and Jessica have all been on for quite some time. It is so nice that we were all finally able to be the PAIF board at the same time. I can't wait to read your birth story. Please keep us updated.

Marla
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

gjbsgirl5705 responded:
so happy to hear this and so happy for you to have your little girl in your arms Hope you don't have to do another hospital stay!!
And both my babies lost weight in the hospital and after we got home. they tried to talk me out of breastfeeding for awhile but, i think it's harder for baby to gain weight on breast milk alone because a lot of times your just waiting on the fatty milk to come in where as with formula it's always the same. don't worry too much about the weight gain. she'll start gaining once your milk comes in more
Again, congratulations!!
me(Amy) - 30 dh - 29
IVF/ICSI -1 Caleb born 4/18/08
IVF/ICSI -2 Carter born 4/29/11
Surprise BFP!! - due 10/26/12

codysu responded:
Marla congratulations on your baby girl! I'm so happy that she has finally arrived, after all you have been through over the years I am so happy that you finally have your baby with you. I'm really sorry to hear about the swelling. I hope that it is improving and that you don't get readmitted after your follow up on Tues. Enjoy that little girl and I'm sure the breastfeeding will get better very soon! So very happy for you!!
Cody 38, DH 45 - IVF 1-m/c @ 6wk, IVF 2 BFP 11-11-11! EDD 7-26-12 PINK Team!!

Susan1777 responded:
OMG MARLA!!! CONGRATULATIONS on your incredible little baby girl miracle!!! LOVE the name!!! So sorry that you had to deal w/ the leg trouble afterwards, but I hope you get the ok at your appt today.
You've been an incredible inspiration of perserverance and hope and faith, and it was just AWESOME to even see the words "birth story" by your name . Enjoy motherhood, it's an incredible journey and you've earned it .

Take care MOMMY!!!
Susan
Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby Faith, was born on 5/29/09.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Congratulations to you and your husband on the birth of your daughter!!! I know you're thrilled!

booklvr04 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
Congratulations Marla! I have been thinking about you!
Emily(31); DH(32) - After 4 failed IUI's we conceived on our own prior to our IVF cycle! Alexander Edward was born on 9/1/2010; 5lbs 15oz, 20; God is Great!

beckyatmoms responded:
Wonderful news! Congratulations to your family
Becky (35) DH (31) DS (12) DSD (5) MFIF TTC 3 1/2 years
IVF 1 (2/10) BFN
IVF 2 (3/11) BFN
IVF 3 (12/11) BFP....TWINS....EDD 8/23/12...PINK TEAM!

rooni134 responded:
Congratulations Marla! soooo happy for you. you have been through sooooo much and i thank god that you are blessed with a beautiful healthy baby girl. i hope you and the little princess are doing well

SaraBella85 responded:
Congrats Marla! I'm so happy to see you finally be able to post this! I hope everything went okay at the doc's yesterday.
Sara (26); DH (27); TTC'd for 2 years. IVF 1 worked! BFP 12/23/10. One baby and a healthy h/b at all u/s. EDD 9/1/11. BLUE TEAM!

mosleyd36 responded:
Congrats on your baby girl! I can't tell you how happy I am for you and your little family. You have been on quite the journey and you have been such an inspiration to me. I hope you are enjoying your time with your little one and recovering fast. Keep us updated on how you two are doing!
Danielle (29) DH (31) TTC since July '08. Severe MFIF. IVF 1 9/10...BFN. IVF 2 8/11-BFP m/c @ 6 weeks. FET 1 12/11-BFP! EDD 9/1/12!

livelaughmoe responded:
Lurking....Marla, I've followed your story since I started this journey, and your birth story brought me to tears, as I felt joy for you cause I know your story and I felt hope for me. You made my day, welcome Eliza, what a miracle!

PGinSJ replied to livelaughmoe's response:
Woo HOO Eliza is here!!! I'm so excited for your parenting journey to begin Marla. Sorry it's gotten off to a sorta rough start. Id love to see pics if u can figure it out. Huge hugs. Welcome to motherhood
Me (39) and DH (38). 2 m/cs and unexplained IF. DS Connor born 8/22/10 via our 3rd IUI and DS 2 Tyler born 3/25/12, conceived naturally.

no1phillygirl responded:
Thank you for all of your comments. I never realized how hard it would be to get on the computer. She is a wonderful baby. I am sleep deprived but it's all worth it. The swelling has completely disappeared. I have ankles again. All I seem to do is feed her and diaper her. She seems to sleep forever when we hold her but sleeping in the bassinet has not been going too well.

I am loving being a mom. I go back to work on 7/23.

I can't wait to read more of your updates and to post on the Paif grad boards.
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

Spotlight: Member Stories

Sarah (27) DH (27) Married in June 2006. We have 2 furbabies as seen in my pic. TTC since February 2008. DH's and my tests are all normal. 3 f...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.