Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth story... twins are here!
RunJessicaRun posted:
Short story: Went in for induction at 38weeks on 4/11 to deliver my two head down twins. Labored for almost 16 hours, then OB made the call to deliver via c-section. Claire Grace born 4/12 2:36 AM 7lb7oz, Bradley Joseph born 2:37 AM 6lb8oz. Both babies have had no issues. I had some post delivery complications and ended up staying the hospital for 6 nights (including the night I was laboring). We are home now and I am doing better.

Long story:
Scheduled induction 4/11 AM. Started pitocin 8 AM. Epidural around 10:30 AM. I got to 10 cm at midnight. I was pushing and we could not get the girls head to come out. They said she was turned the wrong way (can't remember she was facing my back or my front) so the OB finally said at 2AM she wasn't coming and we needed to do a c-section. Kind of a bummer I spent 16 hours in labor, but glad I got experience it. I was also so so tired so it was kinda a relief to not have push anymore. We had the c-section and they came out at 2:36.

We went to the post surgery room and were there about an hour when the problems started. They could not get my uterus to contract and I was continuing to bleed out. I was half awake and don't remember most of what happened but poor DH was watching the whole thing. At one point my blood pressure dropped to 70 and my pulse dropped low too. SOME GRAPHIC DETAILS.....The OB came and had to stick her whole arm into my uterus to scrape out the clots to help my uterus contract. The staff started ordering transfusion blood and setting up an IV line for me to take blood if needed. Finally they got the bleeding to stop and the uterus to contract. If they couldn't get it to contract I would have gone back to the OR for a hysterectomy. They said I lost half the blood in my body (2.5 liters). I finally went to sleep but felt incredibly weak. My OB came by around 8 AM and saw how pale and bad I looked and ordered the transfusion. They gave me two units of blood and I began to feel better. I think poor DH has some PTSD from having to witness the whole ordeal.

Then a couple days after delivery my blood pressure became elevated. My OB gave me some oral meds and after a day that didn't help. OB finally ordered a 24hr IV of magnesium sulfate to be more aggressive with the bp, and it finally helped. We finally went home after 6 nights in the hospital (including the first night I was in labor). The bp issues extended our stay. My bp has not come down completely so I am on meds at home.

I am actually not too upset we were in the hospital so long, we got to learn a lot... lots of time with the lactation consultants and hospital staff... I felt like we had things down pat when we left, but we were definitely ready to go home. I was even pumping BM and needed to fridge some.. apparently the staff was not sure what to do as this rarely happens!

Through all this the babies did absolutely great. I kept telling people they were doing a lot better than me! Today is our first day home and we're slowly getting into some sort of routine. We have a night nanny 5 nights/week and my mom is here to help for at least a month, thank goodness! I am trying to enjoy the babies as much as possible, they are so precious and tiny!

Thanks for all the support from this board to get to this point. I remember joining 3.5 years ago when DH were just starting to TTC at home... boy I never thought I'd take this long to finally have babies but they are finally here and that is all that matters.
TTC since 2008: 3 IUIs, 3IVFs all BFN. Donor egg cycle 8/11. First ever BFP! Twins! EDD 4/25/12

SaraBella85 responded:
Lurking...

Jessica, I am so happy to see this post! I've been lurking the last few weeks looking for you and Marla and it's wonderful to read your birth stories! I hope the bp continues to steady. How scary! Do you have a check up with your doctor soon? Your twins sound wonderful! What big babies, that's awesome! Congrats!
Sara (26); DH (27); TTC'd for 2 years. IVF 1 worked! BFP 12/23/10. One baby and a healthy h/b at all u/s. EDD 9/1/11. BLUE TEAM!

beckyatmoms responded:
Awesome! So happy for you Jessica Sorry you weren't able to have a vaginal birth but like you said I bet it was kind of a relief after all that time.

Congrats and enjoy!
Becky (35) DH (31) DS (12) DSD (5) MFIF TTC 3 1/2 years
IVF 1 (2/10) BFN
IVF 2 (3/11) BFN
IVF 3 (12/11) BFP....TWINS....EDD 8/23/12...PINK TEAM!

booklvr04 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Congratulations Jessica and Welcome Claire and Bradley! I am so thrilled for you! I'm sorry that you had so many issues after delivery, but I'm glad you are on the mend hope you continue to feel better. Enjoy those little ones!! xoxo
Emily(31); DH(32) - After 4 failed IUI's we conceived on our own prior to our IVF cycle! Alexander Edward was born on 9/1/2010; 5lbs 15oz, 20; God is Great!

MO_multiples responded:
YAYYYY!!!! I am so happy for you and your family. I'm also sooo happy that you finally get to post your birth story. It's been a long time coming and it's well deserved.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Congrats on your twins!!!

nordygirl33 responded:
so happy for you Jessica. Sorry you had to go through that, but you did it and now they are here:) Wishing you all the best!

PGinSJ replied to nordygirl33's response:
Yeah Jessica!!! Congrats times a million. Looking forward to hearing from you as your parenting journey continues. So glad u have alot of in home support, that's key.
Me (39) and DH (38). 2 m/cs and unexplained IF. DS Connor born 8/22/10 via our 3rd IUI and DS 2 Tyler born 3/25/12, conceived naturally.

codysu responded:
Congrats Jessica!
Cody 38, DH 45 - IVF 1-m/c @ 6wk, IVF 2 BFP 11-11-11! EDD 7-26-12 PINK Team!!

ninjarbaby responded:
Jessica! Congrats! I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you're doing well after all of that. These past 9 months went by so fast. Now the parenting begins. Welcome Claire Grace and Bradley Joseph!
Jane(30), DH(30), DSD(12) - TTC 1 since 2008 after m/c in Feb 2008 - Stopped actively TTC'ing in mid 2009 after unexplained IF. Surprise BFP 8/31/11! EDD 5/4/2012 Blue Team!

crescent0513 responded:
lurking...

Congrats!...glad the babies are doing well...so sorry that you were so sick, how scary...yay for that help, you need it with two!...I hope your doing better with the bp.
Me(34) DH (35) 4 failed IUIs, first IVF Jan. 2010- twin boys Reid and Cole born 9/20/10, so thankful!

no1phillygirl responded:
I am so appt for you. You must be so in love with those babies. How is it going?
Marla(43) DH(33) BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

leji1 responded:
Congratulations Jessica! I'm so happy you and the babies are doing okay! Enjoy this time with your new family.
Ellie (33)After 3 1/2 yrs, 3 fresh IVF cycles, 2 FETs, 1 chemical and 1 ectopic, we are expecting twins!

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.