Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Story! Kellan Robert 4/13/12
Jessi10909 posted:
Sorry I'm so late posting the birth story ladies!!
Friday the 13th we had a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment at 11AM and had already had an induction scheduled for Wednesday the 18th. The morning of the doctor's appointment I had been having consistent contractions every 3-5 minutes, but they weren't painful so we didn't go to the hospital, just went to the appointment. Doc sent us to the hospital to be monitored after checking me to find that I was still 4cm about 90%. Hospital monitored the regular contractions for a few hours and then (since they still weren't painful) doc decided to break my water to get things going, and said we may need to augment with pitocin.
As soon as he broke my water (DH came back into the room from getting the bag from the car, my mom was there with me) I had a monster of a contraction and the baby's heart rate dropped FAST... the cord had come out (prolapsed) and his head was pressing on it, completely cutting off his oxygen and everything. The nurses freaked! One climbed into bed with me and held his head off the cord and the others were screaming through the hallway "Prolapse cord!!! Get the NICU to the OR NOW!" Luckily my doctor was still there and calmly told me what had happened and apologized that I had to have a c-section... right now. They immediately took me to the operating room for an emergency c-section and all in all, Doc had the baby out 8 minutes after he had broken my water.
Since I hadn't had an epidural (and there was no time once the cord came out) I was put under general anesthetic and doc used a "classical" (vertical) incision. Surprisingly, baby Kellan came out at 138pm as healthy as any normal baby with no signs of the stress that he endured for the 8 minutes between water breaking and him being pulled out 6 lbs 7 oz, 20.5 inches long and scored 9 on the apgar scale immediately after birth.
I didn't wake up from the anesthesia until about 6pm and got to see DH (who my mom had kept calm while I was in surgery), my mom, my dad (who my mom had called to come keep her calm because she was internally freaking out), and DH's parents (who he had called in). I finally got to see little Kellan Robert about 7 and my memory of that evening is very sketchy though I started to remember more about the surgery after getting home (lots of screaming... made me feel very bad for DH). In another surprise twist, Kellan took to breast feeding very well and we haven't had to supplement with formula since we left the hospital. He was in the NICU for less than a day for low sugar, but after the IV glucose he tested normal for the next 12 hours.
Since his b-day we got his results from a panel of blood tests they run on babies and his thyroid is completely inactive (hypothroidism) So this past Wednesday we started him on medication, which he takes fairly well mixed with breast milk out of a syringe, and we go for follow up levels next Wednesday.

codysu responded:
Jessi congrats on the birth of your baby boy! I'm glad that you and Kellan are doing great! I hope everyone has recovered from the trauma of the emergency c-section...sounds like quite an ordeal!
Cody 38, DH 45 - IVF 1-m/c @ 6wk, IVF 2 BFP 11-11-11! EDD 7-26-12 PINK Team!!

rooni134 responded:
Congratulations Jessi!

i am glad you and the baby are doing well. just goes to show off they can be about the measurements. 3 weeks ago, i remember you telling us that the baby was measuring so big that they werent even going to attempt labor and delivery and he came out at 6lbs.

I am actually having a scan done next week to see how my baby is measuring. at this point, she should atleast 3 lbs, but we'll see what they say.

all my best wishes! congrats again!

ninjarbaby responded:
Congrats Jessi! Wow you had quite an eventful labor. I'm glad both you and Kellan are doing good. And I'm sure he'll be fine after the follow up appt. Yay I'm so happy for you!
Jane(30), DH(30), DSD(12) - TTC 1 since 2008 after m/c in Feb 2008 - Stopped actively TTC'ing in mid 2009 after unexplained IF. Surprise BFP 8/31/11! EDD 5/4/2012 Blue Team!

RunJessicaRun responded:
wow, so glad everything turned out ok. Enjoy your little baby!
TTC since 2008: 3 IUIs, 3IVFs all BFN. Donor egg cycle 8/11. First ever BFP! Twins! EDD 4/25/12

no1phillygirl responded:
Congrats on the birth of your precious baby boy. I'm sorry that it got so scary. I hope you will be joining us on the paid grad boards
Marla(43) DH(33) BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

Jessi10909 replied to rooni134's response:
You are so right Rooni! After all that worry about him getting too big and he is a little teeny tiny guy!! My brother won't even hold him because he's scared of "breaking" him... all 3 of his babies were over 9lbs coming out LOL

Thank you everyone for all of the warm wishes Everything is still going well. We just had Kellan's blood tested to make sure the med levels were correct and they were a little high so we start on a lower dose tomorrow, but other than that he is a normal little baby... sleeping all day and fussy all night lol

The incision from the c-section is healing fairly well too... we've had a couple bumps in the road with that, but Doc says that is to be expected with a vertical incision... I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! It is a lot better now though, DH was making jokes the other night about having another baby... "you were only REALLY miserable and immobile for the first week and a half... we could do this again..." I'm still not on board with that idea lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

TTC since May 2008. Tried Clomid (50, 100, 150 & 200mg) for about a year before deciding to see an RE. RE put me on the ovulation induction p...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.