Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back Spasms and Contractions
FrenchBulldogMom posted:
Well I went to the regular OB this morning and everything was fine. I will be 30 weeks on Wednesday and I've gained 13 lbs total. The nurse listened to the babies' heartbeats and they both were in the 150s. My doctor put me out from work on medical leave, also because I almost fell last week and every time I work a few hours, my stomach starts hurting.

I left the doctor's office and took my cousin to the craft store. I didn't even get out of the car. I started noticing some pains in my stomach and back. Thinking it was gas, I took some Gas-X and thought that would take care of it. We went to lunch and the pain got even worse. It was then that my husband and I went back to the doctor's office to get checked out.

Turns out, everything is fine and my doctor told me that back spasms are pretty common in pregnancy. I asked him if Braxton-Hicks are painful and he said that they can be like any other contraction, but are practice for the real thing. I was pretty relieved to hear that nothing was wrong. My husband said that it was gas and that I needed to bend over and gas the doctor!!!! He thinks he's a comedian >.<

Anyway, the day wasn't a total loss because I had some pretty excellent sushi before the spasms got too bad.

How are you guys feeling? Anybody else had spasms like this?

deliela999 responded:
I'm glad everything is ok! That had to be scary. I had a rough day yesterday too. I have never battled constipation and suddenly I could not go and it was extremely painful to try. I called my OB's nurse and she told me a few things to try, but said if I thought there was a blockage to go to the ER. After trying her list with no success I went to the ER. The ER doctor started to blow me off and send me home, but I pushed him to do something. Turns out I have severe internal hemeroids on top of being severely constipated. After a painful hospital enema (home one hadn't worked) I had some success and was sent home with instructions for over the counter meds. My husband has been fantastic, which is somewhat of a surprise. I'm 9 weeks today and it's been rough for the last 4. I hope things start getting easier soon! He told me yesterday he doesn't know why anyone would sign up to do this a second time.

beckyatmoms responded:
I'm glad to hear everything is looking good for you. I am almost 25 weeks and each day it gets a bit harder but I'm hanging in there. My doc and my boss keep pressuring me to stop working but I'm not ready to do that yet. My goal is to make it to 30 weeks before I stop - that gives me about 5 more weeks....just think, you may have had your little one's by then Other than generally feeling uncomfortable and tired I'm doing well. I do get this terrible pain under my left rib cage almost every night. I have no clue what it is but if I lay down flat on my right side it usually subsides after a bit.
Becky (35) DH (31) DS (12) DSD (5) MFIF TTC 3 1/2 years
IVF 1 (2/10) BFN
IVF 2 (3/11) BFN
IVF 3 (12/11) BFP....TWINS....EDD 8/23/12...PINK TEAM!

rooni134 responded:
Hi French,

glad everything is ok. No spasms, but i've been getting sciatic pain in my hips which makes it very hard to sleep at night. i've also been getting what i think are braxton hicks but sometimes i cant tell if its that or just the baby stretching.

i hope you continue to be ok and the babies are doing well.

rooni

rooni134 replied to deliela999's response:
Hi Deliela,

I am sure someone already recommended this but when i was getting constipated i tried dried prunes. they come in individuals packs and if i feel like i am going to have problems going to the bathroom, i take 3 or 4 and it works like a charm. not just helps me go but also softens the stools. they are also much much easier to eat than prune juice. I hope that helps

FrenchBulldogMom replied to rooni134's response:
I found another food that helps me with the constipation. Every time I eat fried okra, it helps me to go. I bought a big bag in the frozen section of the grocery store and I fry it up at home in small batches.

Those dried prunes are really tasty.

deliela999 replied to rooni134's response:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm willing to try anything, but I'm also struggling with morning sickness and having trouble keeping much down even with zofran. When the doctor started talking about diet I pointed this out and he didn't know what to say. The nurses at the ER were commenting that it was lousy I was having so many issues so early after working so hard to get there. You should have seen their faces when they asked how far along I am and I answered 8w6d. That led to questions of how I know that accurately. We want this baby so bad, but so far this is a miserable experience. I'm agreeing with my husband wondering why anyone would do this a second time, but I also know most women don't have this much trouble.

FrenchBulldogMom replied to deliela999's response:
I feel so lucky to be pregnant after all we've been through with infertility that I hate to complain about the issues with pregnancy. I hate it, but I do it! I am pretty uncomfortable right now. It's so hard to sleep.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time. Both my regular OB and high-risk doctor both told me that my horrible morning sickness was a good sign because it indicated that my hormone levels were rising appropriately. When I was in my first trimester, I got some Boost powder and mixed it with milk so that I was getting some nutrition. I'm going to be 30 weeks tomorrow and I've only gained 13 lbs with these twins. It's been hard for me to eat a lot. Lately, I have been eating more. Tonight I was able to eat a taco salad and a few cheese sticks at a local restaurant.

I hope that you're like most women and start having less morning sickness after 12 weeks. Mine started getting better at like 24 weeks, although it still crops up a few days a week.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

deliela999 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
We are very lucky to finally be pregnant, I just wish I felt well enough to enjoy it. I had one of those frustrating moments at work when one of our interns told me they found out her sister is pregnant and as far along as I am. She's 22 without a steady job and already has one kid with a different guy and not in a stable relationship. She went to the ER with probably appendix problems and they told her she was 9 weeks. The whole family was upset. As hard as we worked to finally get pregnant and now I'm so sick, while this girl can accidentally get pregnant unprepared to care for the baby and not be sick at all and not even know she's pregnant. I'm sure we've all had these moments. I will very much love and appreciate this baby.

FrenchBulldogMom replied to deliela999's response:
My doctor put me out on medical leave on Monday. I was looking forward to this because I had these big dreams that I'd have all of this time to decorate the nursery, go shopping in the baby stores, and accomplish all of this stuff. I wish I had the energy to do all of the chores that I need to do around the house.

I went by work yesterday and I was surprised to find out that I wished I was there!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.