Skip to content
Birth Story - Madden 4/28/12
ninjarbaby posted:
Hi ladies! Sorry it's taken awhile for me to post. Been busy of course with my little man Madden. But I have been thinking of you all and just want to say thanks for all your support and I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts. I swear we should be able to post using our phones. It would make it much easier to respond especially since I'm never near a computer anymore. Anyways, so here's the long version my birth story.

I ended up being induced at 39 weeks on 4/27 because the sciatica and SPD got so bad that it was really hard to move. My OB was going to give me a prescription for vicodin but I really didn't feel comforable taking any kind of medication for the pain. So on my last OB appt on 4/23, he estimated that Madden would be around 7 lbs when I hit 40 weeks. So I wasn't expecting a big baby. So I went in Friday evening 4/27 to be induced and my OB was the on call Dr the next day so he was going to break my water. Well by 7am the next morning, my water broke on its own. The contractions came in hard so the nurse gave me fentanyl for the pain. At 11am the anaesthesiologist came in to talk to me about the anaesthesia but by then I was contracting hard every minute and he couldn't even get a word in so he went ahead and offered the epidural. I was only 3cm and I was hoping I'd try to hold out if I could til maybe at least 5-7 cm. Finally reached 10cm at around 7pm and it was time to push. The weird thing is that the Dr wasn't in the room. The nurse started with the pushing just to get me started and would call in the Dr when baby is almost coming out. But every time I'd push when a contraction came, his heart rate went down so the nurse decided that we'd push every other contraction. We did this for 2 hours changing positions to see if it would help any but baby would always stop at a certain point and wouldn't come out anymore. I started getting a fever and they were worried that there was now an infection so the nurse called the Dr in and he had me push one more time to see what was going on. at that point he felt my stomach and told me that the baby would be around 8lbs and that we had 2 options. Either do a c-section now or push for another 30 minutes and see where we'd go from there. He personally said that he would opt for the c-section because baby runs the risk of an infection. So c-section it was. Not what I was expecting and I was scared to death but they had to get him out. All I remember after that was being in the OR crying with DH beside me and then hearing that they got baby out. He had a really rough start. He wasn't breathing for the first couple minutes and I saw where they put him on the table and put an oxygen mask on him. Then I heard him cry and the nurse gave him to DH. My poor baby had a massive conehead from being stuck in my birth canal for so long. but I was just glad they got him out. His heart rate was still up so he was taken in the observation room for what they said would be 2 hours. At around 4am, a nurse woke me up in the recovery room and told me that they had to transfer him to the NICU because he was having respiratory problems and jaundice. His breathing got better after a few days but his jaundice level jumped the day I was discharged so he had to stay under the phototherapy light for another 2 days before he was finally discharged.

All in all I'm so relieved that he's home with us now. His first pediatrician appt went well and the Dr said that the jaundice is almost completely gone. He didn't even have to draw blood to test. There is a mass on his right arm though where he got a bruise from the delivery so we were referred to the dermatology dept for them to take a look. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Wow sorry this was so long. Thanks for all the support ladies. I'll definitely be lurking and will also be on the grad board.
Jane(30), DH(30), DSD(12) - TTC 1 since 2008 after m/c in Feb 2008 - Stopped actively TTC'ing in mid 2009 after unexplained IF. Surprise BFP 8/31/11! EDD 5/4/2012 Blue Team!

KL0124 responded:
Congratulations on Madden! Sorry to hear that you had so many scary moments during and after delivery. Hope you are healing up well.

nicram8683 responded:
Congrats on the *roller coaster* birth of your son!! I hope everything is fine and that you are both doing well!!
Nicole(28)Mike(30) 7yr old DD
Diagnosed MFIF June 2011 after 27 months no BC(12 months active trying)
BFP: 8/2011 M/C @ 6 weeks 9/2011
BFP: 10/2011 EDD 06/25/2012 It's a BOY!!

no1phillygirl responded:
Congrats on the birth. I am sorry things didn't go so smoothly but you are now home and enjoying that sweet baby. See you on the paid grad board.
Marla(43) DH(33) BFP 10/08 m/c 11/08
ivf1 9/09 BFP m/c 6 wks
ivf2 2/10 BFP trisomy d

booklvr04 replied to no1phillygirl's response:
(((Jane)))

Congrats on Baby Madden! So glad you are your bundle of joy are home safe and sound! Take care!
Emily(31); DH(32) - After 4 failed IUI's we conceived on our own prior to our IVF cycle! Alexander Edward was born on 9/1/2010; 5lbs 15oz, 20; God is Great!

westsidebee responded:
Jane, I just saw this post get bumped back up -- Congratulations!!! I am so excited to see this happy story from you. So many from our group on the TTC boards have their babies now -- I'm so happy for you. Congrats!

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH and I have been TTC'ing since 2008. We stopped actively TTC'ing in mid-2009 after it was determined that it was unexplained IF so we figure...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.