Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnancy Myths
kittykatjenn posted:
Hello ladies! I haven't been on much because I am so stinking busy with work and school and everything! Anyways, I was at work the other night and I wanted some tape so I could put some paper over a vent. It was really cold and the air was just blowing and it isn't a normal system...can't just hit a button on a thermostat.

Anyways, my supervisor freaked out! She said I can't raise my arms above my head because the cord will wrap around the baby and choke it to death. She was really serious! I have heard this myth, but I am not a believer.

I was wondering if there were any others you have been told this time around. I know a lot of people believe the arms above the head thing, but I just don't buy into it!

mrs62610 responded:
Hello! I have heard that one before. I actually was thinking about it this morning while taking a shower and I started laughing because I thought, "How would we wash our hair?!" My arms were above my head trying to scrub it!

I don't know if this qualifies but my SIL swears by the Chinese Gender Predictor chart! It says we will be having a girl and I just don't believe it. It has a 50% chance of being right so I'm sure it is right often! Lol Me, my DH, and my mom all think it's going to be a boy. Of course, we don't know for sure either! It's funny how serious some people take the old wives' tales.
Me-25 DH-38 Expecting our 1st! After 21 months and different medicine combos and IUI's, we conceived with our 1st IVF cycle. Not finding out the sex before hand! EDD 10/18/13

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
Totally a myth! Not true at all. There's lots of myths. The carrying high and low determining gender - the reason you have heartburn is the baby has lots of hair, etc. All myths! Hope you are doing well!!
Me(26) DH(29) DD (4) TTC2 16 mos. 5 rounds of clomid - unsuccessful. Natural BFP - EDD 8/7/13 - It's a GIRL!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! My name is Emily and my husband and I have been married for almost 8 years. We started TTC in January of 2008. We started seeing a RE and doing in...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!