Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnancy Myths
kittykatjenn posted:
Hello ladies! I haven't been on much because I am so stinking busy with work and school and everything! Anyways, I was at work the other night and I wanted some tape so I could put some paper over a vent. It was really cold and the air was just blowing and it isn't a normal system...can't just hit a button on a thermostat.

Anyways, my supervisor freaked out! She said I can't raise my arms above my head because the cord will wrap around the baby and choke it to death. She was really serious! I have heard this myth, but I am not a believer.

I was wondering if there were any others you have been told this time around. I know a lot of people believe the arms above the head thing, but I just don't buy into it!

mrs62610 responded:
Hello! I have heard that one before. I actually was thinking about it this morning while taking a shower and I started laughing because I thought, "How would we wash our hair?!" My arms were above my head trying to scrub it!

I don't know if this qualifies but my SIL swears by the Chinese Gender Predictor chart! It says we will be having a girl and I just don't believe it. It has a 50% chance of being right so I'm sure it is right often! Lol Me, my DH, and my mom all think it's going to be a boy. Of course, we don't know for sure either! It's funny how serious some people take the old wives' tales.
Me-25 DH-38 Expecting our 1st! After 21 months and different medicine combos and IUI's, we conceived with our 1st IVF cycle. Not finding out the sex before hand! EDD 10/18/13

Leah25Brooke2 responded:
Totally a myth! Not true at all. There's lots of myths. The carrying high and low determining gender - the reason you have heartburn is the baby has lots of hair, etc. All myths! Hope you are doing well!!
Me(26) DH(29) DD (4) TTC2 16 mos. 5 rounds of clomid - unsuccessful. Natural BFP - EDD 8/7/13 - It's a GIRL!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Danielle. DH and I have been TTC since July 2008 with no luck. Diagnosed with MFIF in August 2009. We have done two fresh cycles in which the ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.