Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extra long birth story
Mandy_Smiles posted:
The extra long version!
Our perfect baby girl, Gweneth Grace, was born April 4, 2011 at 10:14pm. She weighed in at a whopping 8lb 14oz and was 21 inches long.

We arrived at the birthing center at 7pm on April 3 to begin the induction process. At this point there had been little change in my cervix; 1cm and almost 100% effaced which is where I had been holding strong for a few weeks. They inserted the Cervadil to ripen my cervix overnight. I was given a sleeping pill but neither of us got any sleep.

The following morning at 8:30am the doctor came and checked me. She started the Pitocin at 8:45am and by 10:15am the contractions were coming strong and fast, every 2-3 mintues apart. At 11:45am the doctor returned and I was only 2 cm dilated. We were really hoping for more progress since I was having such strong conrtactions so close together. The doctor decided to go ahead and break my water at this point to try and speed things up.

I was trying to hold out as long as possible before considering pain medication. I was really doing good with the pain up until she broke my water and then it turned into uncontrollable, flesh ripping, I thought I was going to die—kind of pain. I was calm on the outside but inside I was freaking out. I just wanted to scream but I knew that if I lost emotional control the pain would probably seem even "bigger" than it already was and I wouldn't be able to calm myself down again. At 1:00pm I decided to go forth with the epidural and it worked well until around 3:00pm when I started feeling contractions again.

We called the nurse and told her I was feeling the contractions again and she wanted us to wait a little while before calling the anesthesiologist because she said that the epidural shouldn't knock out all of the pain completely. At around 3:30pm we called the nurse back in and she could see the physical distress I was in and she decided to call the anesthesiologist because she knew I shouldn't be feeling everything that I was. They came in and gave me an additional dosage of something in the epidural which helped until around 5:30pm. Then it all happened all over again and then the anesthesiologist refused to give me any more and refused to try and re-do the epidural. I was in excruciating pain with contractions still coming every 2-3 minutes with no hope of pain relief.

At 5:45pm my doctor came back and checked me and I was 8cm dilated and in so much pain I was trying to contain myself but I couldn't help but to cry. All of the pain was in my lower back, all of it. Gwen was facing the wrong direction and it was putting pressure against my spine. I changed positions to try and deal with the pain and I got up on my hands and knees and turned around and started hugging the back of my hospital bed while my husband pushed as hard as he could on my lower back. The doctor said that the epidural definitely wasn't working because the dosage they had me on, I shouldn't have been able to even lift my legs, let alone get on all 4's and turn myself around on my bed all by myself with no help. I wanted to say "ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO ME?! I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR HOURS THAT IT ISN'T WORKING!!!", but I couldn't even talk. It was like I couldn't even remember what language I spoke! LOL!
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 Gweneth Grace :)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Mandy_Smiles responded:
When my doctor came in and checked me again I was at 9cm. She explained how she had been on call all day and she hadn't eaten and she lived really close and had to run home to eat something. I wanted to say "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I AM 9CM AND YOU ARE LEAVING THE HOSPITAL TO GO AND EAT?!" But once again my speaking and language skills failed me and I was in so much pain I couldn't even talk at all. My husband didn't say anything either because he just figured that meant that it would still be awhile, but once he realized I was 9cm he also became worried. I figured, hey, a nurse can catch her if she came before the doctor came back, right? LOL!

It helped my back to be on my hands and knees but they couldn't monitor Gwen's heart rate while I was in that position. They kept losing her, so they decided to place a thing that actually screwed into the scalp of her head to monitor her heart rate. The screw had a wire attached to it and they taped the wire to my upper thigh. I remembered in the birthing class being totally against the thought of using one of those heart rate monitoring devices, but when it came down to it, I knew the benefits outweighed my apprehension behind putting a tiny screw in my baby's scalp. I knew that if it would harm Gwen they wouldn't do it.

I sorta went to a place inside of myself I didn't even know I had. The only way I could deal with the pain was to say "Whooooooooooooooo, (take a breath) Whoooooooooooooo, (take a breath) Whoooooooooooooooo, (take a breath)" in a way that made my lips vibrate. It's funny how the sensation of my lips vibrating and saying "Whoooooooooo" in the lowest tone I could helped keep me somewhat calm. I remember the nurse trying to change my breathing and was telling me to take cleansing breaths and say "he he who who", but I just stared at her unable to even consider anything she was saying because what I was doing came natural to me and I think that even if I wanted to, I couldn't change up what I was doing.

So at this point, my contractions were still coming every 2 minutes apart but I could not feel them coming and going at all. I had no relief between contractions. The worst part of it was when Gwen would move. I could feel the wire twisting inside of my vagina and the pain was beyond anything that words could describe. So, when I wasn't having a contraction she was working on moving herself into positon. She ended up turning herself around completely, all by herself. I have been told that at about this point I looked up at the celiling and sorta yelled a prayer asking God to give all of the pain to me. I didn't want my baby to feel any pain at all and to give it all to me. The true delirium begins.

At 8:10pm pushing began. I really wanted to try and stay in the position I was in (on my knees hugging the back of my bed) but the doctor wanted me on my back holding my ankles with each push. Of course the thought of being on my back again made me start crying uncontrollably and the doctor promised me that it would feel better to push. I never really felt the "urge to push". I had always heard that women felt an urge to push but I just felt the same pain I had been feeling for the past several hours, except it was worse while laying on my back. I pushed and pushed and pushed with all of the strength I had for 2 hours. She had came down into the birth canal and was "right there" where my husband could see her head for about an hour. The doctor was ready to catch for a long time and my husband said that it was obvious that everyone had thought she would be out already. I couldn't feel the contractions so they had to tell me when to push, I could only feel the constant pain. It did feel a little better when I would push, but as soon as I would stop all of the pain would rush back. The doctor kept telling me to get mad. She told me to get mad at her and I would try to do that. Then she said to get mad at the baby and I told her I couldn't do that. Then she tried encouragement and tried telling me how she was "right there" but after an hour of being told that she was "right there" I didn't believe them anymore. It was like she was having a problem with getting past a point in my vagina and as soon as she was past that point, I could feel it and I could tell that when I would push I was getting somewhere.

Mandy_Smiles responded:
At 10:14pm on April 4, 2011 I gave it my all and pushed with all my might. Then I heard the best words I have ever heard before in my life. I heard someone say "Her head is out, suctioning". I looked down but I couldn't see anything yet. The doctor told me to give a strong, slow, controlled push and then she just popped out. This moment I will remember for the rest of my life, the first sight of my daughter. When she finally emerged I said "Oh"026.baby! Oh"026..baby! Oh"026..baby! They whisked her away since she had inhaled/swallowed some fluid to try and get her to give a real cry. They had her on the warming table a few feet away and my husband was just over the moon and taking pictures and I could see that he had also just fallen in love. It was such a magical moment to see him holding her for the first time; seeing him morph from my husband, to my husband and the father of my child. Seeing the two loves of my life was truly a life changing moment. The moment I had dreamed about for what seems like my entire life.

When she stared to stitch me up I winced and told her that it hurt and once again she commented about the epidural and how she couldn't believe I could feel what I was feeling. She injected something and stitched me up. Later we learned that our moms were standing outside of the door the entire time I was pushing and heard everything. They couldn't believe how difficult my labor was, I guess in comparison to their laboring experiences. They heard me telling the doctor how I couldn't do it, and asking the doctor to just reach in there and pull her out, and crying hysterically at times. It was the most painful experience in my life, but also the most beautiful. I would do it all over again 100 times if I had to, just have my baby girl in my arms. She is so precious and is just so beautiful. As I type this my husband just finished burping Gwen and is singing a song to her that he just made up. Life is good. All of my hopes and dreams have come true.

Thank you all so much for the support I have so desperately needed over the past 9 months. Of course you will see me lurking from time to time but I am happy to say that right now I have my hands full with smothering my baby girl with love. This message board has truly been a life saver when I felt like I had no other place to turn for support. Thank you all once again for being what my husband calls, my "secret society"! Belly pats to all of you and I wish you all a happy and healthy 9 months!

Mandy_Smiles replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
I don't know why it added numbers in the third from last paragraph... It was supposed to say:

When she finally emerged I said "Oh baby! Oh baby! Oh baby!".

Our mom's told everyone about my first reaction and we have received all kinds of baby frames, photo albums, etc.. from our friends and family that say "Oh Baby!" on them. :)

bbylove21 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Um can you say tons of tears!!! Holy cow Mommie, that was a hell of an experience. I've heard how excruciatingly painful contractions are normally but with meds!!!?? I can't believe your epi didn't work for you. But I did always think baby Gweneth would make a helluva an entrance to this world : ) . I'm truly happy for you Mommie Mandy.Your gonna be missed a ton by all of us, I remember when i first joined, you and Julie always one of the first one with tons of "sticky vibes" and support. I wish you the best in your new role. Enjoy your new little family and hopefully when it's time to have a new miracle i will see you in here lol...sorry that's prob the farthest from your mind right now but just saying ; ) . TONS OF CONGRATS ..

Love - Adriana
Adriana(21) DH(26)Furry baby Lola (3yrs old shih-pom).. mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 9/25/10 EDD 6/29/10 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

noelle1225 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Oh Mandy, it sounds like you got a natural birth experience with the added intensity of induction! Bless your heart! Way to go staying strong though. You did a fantastic job. They say there comes a moment in labor when you press your back to the same tree that millions of women have braced themselves against for thousands of years and it gives you the strength and tenacity to get through it, a time when you know you have done something impossible and miraculous. It sounds like that is exactly what you did. I'm so glad you guys are doing well and living your own personal fairy tale:) congratulations again and stop in when you can. We're all happy for you but we miss you too ;)

MSettle78 replied to noelle1225's response:
Mandy ,
Like Adriana said wow the tears ! I love the part where she comes out and you talk about your dream coming true because I can so much relate to that ! Really reading this makes me feel alot better like okay Marissa just breathe this baby will be fine. Im alot like you where I remember you worried about alot and I still continue to do so and think I will until I deliver this baby. I really am SO happy for you and your husband it brings me to tears on how happy I am. I really hope that you continue to lurk around WHEN you CAN lol I know your a busy mommy now, but you have much love here :) I dont even have to take care of that baby girl because I know you are a amazing mother
Me! Marissa (22) DH Matt (23) 2 Furbabies Bentley 4 and Myley 3... M/C Aug/10 at 5 weeks :( BFP 10/31/10 Due 07/11/11 Baby Boy Tyler Anthony ! :) Praying for happy healthy full term lively baby !

RachelNuke responded:
That is by far the best birth story I have ever read in my entire life. I am crying my friggin eyes out, and I'm so excited. I'm sorry that labor was so painful for you Mandy, but you kicked butt and had a wonderful little girl...I'm so happy for you and your DH, I hope to see you on here from time to time. You have been such a great help for me during this pregnancy, and I'm so happy to hear that you and little Gwen are doing well. Hopefully I will be posting a nice birth story myself in a little over a month :)

Congratulations, good luck with everything, and have fun being a mommy you've definitely earned it :)
Me 29, DH 28, MC 11/08, BFP 9/11/10, EDD 5/21/11 PINK TEAM :)

Starla_94 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
They should have you tell the horrific parts of that to all these teenagers that think they need to be moms at 12 and 13 :)
and perhaps boys too as birth control methods!! LOL

I was crying i can't believe the amount of pain you had to suffer but your right its worth it for that little bundle of joy to be all healthy and finally get to hold them in your arms..

they say back labor is the worst labor of all!!

definitely keep us posted.. how you and gwen are doing!
Christina (34) DH (38)- 1 D/S Oct-2003, M/C April 2010, M/C June 2010 (twins) BFP on 8/15/2010 Triplets 2 more angles (Sep 2010) and Baby Boy Bean - EDD 4/28/2011

LynnaeMarie replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Oh wow Mandy! You made it! You are an amazing woman, & to be able to say you would do it all again right after, even better. :)

I am glad you told all the details, labor & delivery is just a hard thing that has to happen for that sweet little miracle. My younger sister had bad back labor & dilated slow also, so I saw first hand how painful it is; & like you she was so happy to have her baby in her arms it just didn't matter.
I can't wait for my turn!
Me (28) DH (34) M/C 2/23/10 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups). BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11!

MSettle78 replied to LynnaeMarie's response:
LOl I MEANT to say I dont even have to TELL YOU to take care of that baby because I know you are a amazing mother and instead my PREGGO BRAIN says I dont have to come take care of your baby lol yeah like im going to fly up there and take care of your baby wow i cant talk lol funny tho
Me! Marissa (22) DH Matt (23) 2 Furbabies Bentley 4 and Myley 3... M/C Aug/10 at 5 weeks :( BFP 10/31/10 Due 07/11/11 Baby Boy Tyler Anthony ! :) Praying for happy healthy full term lively baby !

Babyhopes614 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Awww Mandy! I wish I would have waited to read this at home, I cried the whole time. Congratulations. I am so sorry that you felt most of the pain :-/ I have heard of the meds not working and I am sorry that you were one of those that it happened to. We are going to miss you so much! You're words of reassurance and encouragement have meant the world to me and I know everyone else! Congratulations on your sweet little girl!
Jennifer(23) DH(27) TTC Since 10/10. One pregnancy M/C 6 1/2 weeks 10/13. BFP 12/28! EDD 9/13/11

MommaSampson responded:
Mandy, first off congratulations again! I was in tears reading this. It sounds like you had one of those wonderfully horrifying experiences. I'm so happy that you and Gwen are okay and thriving! Reading this just makes me so ready for my little guy to be here. I wish you all the best and hope to see you lurking from time to time.
I'm Heather(26) and DH is 29. We have two little girls, 6

marchbabee replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Congratulations to you and your growing family. I'm so sorry that it was such a painful experience, but as cliche as it sounds, it's all worth it. To see, as you said, all of your dreams come true, there are not enough words to describe that. You did an amazing job growing your little bundle of joy, and you were a source of strength and inspiration to those of us still on the board. I want updates on how you and Gwen are doing!
Me(30), DH(29), 1 m/c at 5w, 2 m/c at 6w, BFP 11/24/10, EDD 8/4/11. Blue Team!

jedmonds12 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Oh god I knew I shouldn't have read this at work!!!! I am so incredibly happy for you Mandy; I'm overjoyed WITH you. The part you wrote about seeing your husband and daughter together almost made me bawl; I've thought about that moment so many times, seeing my DF hold his son for the first time and knowing that I gave him that happiness.

Wishing you, your DH, and your darling daughter all the health and happiness in the world!! ((HUGS))
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had been married to my dh Cody for 5 1/2 years before we decided to start ttc. After almost a year of trying I finally got a bfp and we were ecstati...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.