Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Story - Kawika
jedmonds12 posted:
Kawika Michael was born at 4:51 pm on Monday, April 25th. He weighed 8 lbs, 10 oz and was 20.5 inches long

Yes, we changed the order of his name, it just worked better

I'd had BHC for a few months, so I knew something different was going on when I got my first painful contractions on Sunday morning. They woke me up at 7 am, hurting, and were regular, coming every 7 minutes, for 2.5 hours. I told DF what was going on and they promptly stopped. Ugh!

We went to Easter dinner at his grandma's house and I had a few more painful contractions throughout the day, but nothing regular. After dinner we went to his cousin's house to visit, and the contractions picked up again, coming every 10-12 minutes while we were there. I didn't get excited, just kept track and kept drinking water, though the girls at the house knew I was having contractions and were convinced I was going to go into labor for real.

We went home around 6, and by 8 pm, the contractions were pretty painful and I was breathing slowly through them to manage the pain. DF and I laid on the couch together and watched some TV and I kept timing them. They had gotten down to 8 minutes apart, then 7, then 5 minutes apart by 10 pm. I got in the tub to see if that helped and DF called the birth center to check in. They said when contractions got down to 2 minutes apart we should be well on our way, but to labor at home for a while longer. I told DF that I was fine laboring at home for a little bit longer but we were definitely going into labor and to get everything together. I was in the tub, trying to relax while breathing through 4-minute contractions and I could hear him downstairs, doing dishes! LOL

He kept running back upstairs to check on me and he was running back and forth to the car making sure we had everything. I told him to relax, but he was pumped! I got out of the bath around 11:30 and we left for the birth center. We got here and checked in just after 12 am Monday. They put me in the admitting section to check me and had me hooked up to external monitors for about 5 minutes before they did an internal check and found I was dilated to 4.5 cm and contracting every 3 minutes. Then they showed us to a room.

DF helped me labor naturally for the next 4 hours. He was SO great. We walked, I bounced on the ball, and used the jacuzzi tub, but the contractions were about 90 seconds long and coming in sets of 2 and 3, one after the other, with no break in between, then I'd get a minute or 2 of no contractions before getting another cluster of them. It was really, really intense and my water hadn't even broken, and it was 4:30 in the morning and I was exhausted so I decided to get checked again and decided that if I was at least 5 cm I'd get an epidural. I just didn't want to get an epi too early and stall labor, you know?

Another nurse checked me and she said I was at 4.5 cm, but it could be 5 because her hands are bigger than the hands of the first gal who checked me. WTF. I struggled with the decision, but after I suffered through another cluster of contractions, asked to have the epi anyway. I couldn't imagine them getting even WORSE after my water broke. They ordered the epi, but I ended up waiting for an hour for it because they hadn't bothered to run the labs on the blood they'd drawn earlier, and then they decided they needed more blood. DF was so upset on my behalf because he could see the pain all over my face during the contractions. Finally, the anesthesiologist came in. Yay, Kip! He was a nice guy. I had a cluster of contractions right when he was placing the epi tubing in my spine and managed to hold still during; he and the nurse both were impressed with my control. I just kept telling myself that if I moved it wouldn't work and I'd be in even more pain. LOL
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jedmonds12 responded:
After the epi was in, I wasn't in as much pain, but I felt funny. I don't usually respond well to medication in general and I didn't like the way it made me feel. I got really shaky for about an hour and I could feel my legs but I couldn't move them very well. On the other hand, I couldn't really feel my contractions, either, and I was OK with that. Right after the epi was placed, another nurse checked me, and I had dilated to a 7 in the hour I was waiting for the anesthesiologist. Wow.

I could tell when I was having a contraction because it felt like BHC, but they weren't painful anymore, which was nice. I ended up puking from the pain before I got the epi, and even though it made me feel kinda funny, I decided I preferred semi-numb legs to puking during contractions. I didn't enjoy the catheter, though

I got a little rest after the epi was in, maybe an hour, but then they broke my water and kept having me change positions to help labor progress. They checked me for progress a few times but I only made it another centimeter over the next few hours. They started pitocin to keep things moving, and I finally was fully dilated around noon. They decided I would start pushing at 1, even though Kawika was still pretty high. He was turned facing sideways, but they wanted him facing down so they had me moving around switching positions, which was kinda funny with half-numb legs.

I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed.... they said I was doing great, but I had to do a lot of work to move him down. He turned eventually, but now he was facing up, which is also not great for delivery. My doctor said it was possible to deliver him that way, it'd just be harder, and they needed to keep monitoring him internally to make sure he was handling the contractions.

By 4 pm I'd pushed for 3 hours and he moved down quite a bit, but I was tired and had been in labor for about 21 hours at that point. Kawika was doing well, though, staying strong through the pushes and contractions and I was making slow, steady progress, so they let me keep pushing.

The doctor brought in a mirror thinking to help me see how I was doing and it did the trick. While I pushed, she moved her fingers around and kinda pulled me open so I could see the top of his head. It was inspirational, and I found another burst of energy. I pushed and pushed, making great strides in the last 50 minutes. When we got really close to delivery, DF got really excited and was my biggest cheerleader. The last 2 contractions were the best. The first one I pushed 3 times, long and strong, and got his head most of the way out. The doctor was suctioning his nose and mouth, since he was coming out face up, and I could feel how far I was stretched. I got another contraction and pushed again, and got one of his shoulders out, took a deep breath and pushed once more and delivered him all the way. It was an incredible relief physically and overwhelmingly emotional. I had worked so hard, for so long, and now here he was.

They immediately put him on my chest and toweled him off a little, and he was crying loud and strong. He snuggled down on me skin to skin and calmed down a little and DF and I just looked at each other and cried and looked at him and cried...

I had 2nd degree tearing and had to get stitched up, but he's a champion latcher. Even with flat nipples, he does pretty well, I just use a shield (which did take some getting used to, for both of us).

We're still in the hospy and will stay again tonight to get more comfortable with our new addition. I can't believe I did it, I can't believe he's here, I can't believe he picked his birthday and I didn't have to get induced!!

I've gotta run, he needs to eat (again) but I'll get some pics up soon! Love you gals!
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11

LynnaeMarie responded:
Julie that is so wonderful!!! Congrats & welcome Kawika!
You did such a perfect job getting him here
Can't wait to see pictures!
Me (28) DH (34) M/C 2/10 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups). BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11!

coudymom responded:
Julie, Congratulations! It sounds like you had a very long labor and deliver, but you are a trooper!! I'm so glad he's finally here and you all are doing well. Best wishes to you all!
Me(33), DH(38), DS(10), DD(7) M/C 1/10, BFP 9/25/10 EDD 6/3/11

MSettle78 replied to coudymom's response:
Julie Julie Jule ! ! ! I am so Happy for you ! Cant wait to see pictures!!! Why do all birth stories make me cry specially the part where you said you and your husband were crying when he came out Thats just so sweet and what I dream of with Tyler !!! Again Congratulations ! Everyone on here is graduating So Happy but I really will miss you and Mandy
Me! Marissa (22) DH Matt (23) 2 Furbabies Bentley 4 and Myley 3... M/C Aug/10 at 5 weeks :( BFP 10/31/10 Due 07/11/11 Baby Boy Tyler Anthony ! :) Praying for happy healthy full term lively baby !

Babyhopes614 replied to jedmonds12's response:
JULIE! I teared up when I read about you and DH crying together, that is so sweet! I am sorry that you had such a long labor, I am proud of you for trying to do natural labor. I am sure I will be screaming for drugs as soon as I am admitted . Congratulations and I'm glad little Kawika is finally here!
Jennifer(23) DH(27) TTC Since 10/10. One pregnancy M/C 6 1/2 weeks 10/13. BFP 12/28! EDD 9/13/11

MommaSampson replied to jedmonds12's response:
Oh congratulations Julie!! I'm so happy for you guys!! Can't wait to see his pictures.
I'm Heather(26) and DH is 29. We have two little girls, 6

marchbabee replied to MommaSampson's response:
Congrats on making it through a long deliver. But, like you said, totally worth it to have ittle Kawika in your arms. Good luck on a speedy recovery and enjoy every minute with your new little man
Me(30), DH(29), 1 m/c at 5w, 2 m/c at 6w, BFP 11/24/10, EDD 8/4/11. Blue Team!

mrslee97658 replied to jedmonds12's response:
Congrats Julie! I'm glad you didn't have to be induced either.
Me Ruth(27), DH (43) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(3) 2 m/c 6wk, 9wk, BFP 11/23/10 EDD 8/4/11 Blue Team

cheyenne828 replied to mrslee97658's response:
Yay Julie! I've been anxiously awaiting your birth story!! Woo hoo!! I hope you join the PAL grad board. All the best to your newly expanded family!
Pam 37, DH 37 ~ TTC 1 ~ BFP 5/29/09, MC 7/7/09 ~ BFP 12/14/09, early MC 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10, EDD 4/2/11, yellow team

RachelNuke replied to jedmonds12's response:
I'm so happy for you congrats...and thank you, I'm crying now

Great birth story, and I'm glad everything worked out. Congrats again, I can't wait to see pics
Me 29, DH 28, MC 11/08, BFP 9/11/10, EDD 5/21/11 PINK TEAM :)

Starla_94 replied to jedmonds12's response:
Congrats Julie
Christina (34) DH (38)- 1 D/S Oct-2003, M/C April 2010, M/C June 2010 (twins) BFP on 8/15/2010 Triplets 2 more angles (Sep 2010) and Baby Boy Bean - EDD 4/28/2011

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to jedmonds12's response:
Awesome to hear, Julie!! Congratulations and welcome to little Kawika!!

Glad you are able to use those nipple shields and he's latching on well now. If you ever need more help, you can check out our Breastfeeding Support Group .

Guess this means it's time to graduate you to the Baby's 1st Year community, but I sure hope you'll stick around here and chime in with us too!

Take care, Julie, and give that adorable LO of yours a gentle little kiss from all of us here!!

~Andie
Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside. ~Rita Rudner

cutenshort13 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Congrats Julie! I've been waiting to hear this story!! I am glad you didn't have to get induced! Hope to see you over on the PAL grad board.
Sami (me)(21) DH (20) Rylie Taylor BFP 11/1/09 m/c 11/7/09. Two fur babies one palm mix and a hunting dog. BFP 6/15/10 EDD 2/24/11 PINK TEAM!!!

bbylove21 responded:
Huge congrats and hugs!!
I was crying my eyes out reading this specially when you wrote about your Dh. Hope we get to see some pictures!!
Adriana(21) DH(26)Furry baby Lola (3yrs old shih-pom).. mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 9/25/10 EDD 6/29/10 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mama of three, a preteen boy, and two girls ages 2 and 4. TTC since July of 09 with a couple of roadblocks along the way, I had a chemical pregnancy i...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.