Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Story - Long Version
alb7585 posted:
Short: Abigayle Ann 7lbs 19 inches born @ 1:48pm on 4/25/11

After constantly failing her ultrasounds and NST's the doctor came in and spoke with me on 4/21. He knew how BAD I wanted a VBAC but was getting concerned for both of our heath as my blood pressure was getting higher. We checked my cervix and even after contracting regularing even on the NST I was still closed and uneffaced so I wasn't making any progress. So he set me up for an amino the next day (Friday) to check for lung maturity. That was scary as all get out. Abby had to hold really still so she didn't get stuck and it set off some contractions but after being there for four hours she calmed down and as did my contractions so I got to go home and spend one last weekend as a mommy of one. Sunday night my doctor called and said all was a go for my c-section on Monday afternoon. So Monday morning I took DS shopping for hig "Big Brother" t-shirt and then to daycare and DF and I went and checked in at the hospital. It was SOOO calm compaired to an emergency. I got there, they hooked me up to monitors, started my IV, and DF and I got to relax. Then they shaved me (talk about losing all dignity) and put in my cath (ahh yes dignity gone) ... the whole time DF was trying to get electic and gas ect at the new house set up. Then I walked to the OR where the staff was awesome. My doctor has a med student my entire pregnancy who was there (who I later learned pulled a 24 hour shift before so he could be there for my surgery) and my doctor and then they put inthe spinal. It ALL sank in there. I started freaking out and crying and the nursing student who was in there held my hand and the anestheiologist rubbed my hair and just made me calm down before DF got there so by the time he got in there I was calm. So then they started the surgery and Abby was out and crying within minutes. I asked my doctor if she was a girl and he laughed and said he forgot to look so I sent DF over to the table where she was and he confirmed it for me. Then they took Abby and DF to the nursery and closed me up.My doctor cleaned up alot of scar tissues from my prior c-section and cysts. And made sure I was closed up good for my next baby. And then they sent me to recovery where they brought Abby to nurse and she latched like a champion. Then I went to my room and they brought her in and I got to nurse again and they kept me comfortable. That night was a nightmare though. The CNA came in and wanted to get me up and kept pulling on my cath so when I grumped at her the third time she literally stormed out of my room in tears. Then me being me felt guilty and cry. It was terrible. Then my nurse came in and helped me up and get things situated. No appologies from anyone. Otherwise my hospital stay was smooth. I stayed an extra day for pain control because for some reason it spirled out of control on day 3. Now we are home and adjusting to a new house, new baby, and DS learnin to be a big brother. I have been pumping milk since day 3 as I've had too much and am filling up my freezer. I am going to look into milk donation. And DF and I talked and I am not going back to work full time either. Abby isdoing good. Trying to get days and nights straight still; and she has the same reflux her brother did so when she goes in on Tuesday I am going to try to get her some medicine for it. She was jaundice bad and had to be on bili lights at home but those are gone too. We will see if she is gaiing weight, she was 6lbs 6oz when we went home and they were concerned but not overly because she lost more than the 10%. She is beautiful and sooo tiny comapired to DS even at birth. But now I am not so scared of another c-section as long as my doctor does it. And my BP is still a little high but we are working on it too. GL and I will keep up with everyone here!
Amanda (25), DF (26) and DS (3). Miscarriage July 2010 and BFP in August 2010. Stick baby!! EDD 05/8/2011

mrslee97658 responded:
Awww congrats again. I hear you on the cath though girl, I swear if someone mentions one to me I will kill them :)
Me Ruth(27), DH (43) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(3) 2 m/c 6wk, 9wk, BFP 11/23/10 EDD 8/4/11 Blue Team

MSettle78 replied to mrslee97658's response:
Congrats ! Sounds like you had a better c section experience. Which judging by my boys size im guessing I might be getting one so its good to hear that it wasnt so scary ... Glad you have your Little Girl Sure shes beautiful ! Congrats again !
Me! Marissa (22) DH Matt (23) 2 Furbabies Bentley 4 and Myley 3... M/C Aug/10 at 5 weeks :( BFP 10/31/10 Due 07/11/11 Baby Boy Tyler Anthony ! :) Praying for happy healthy full term lively baby !

earleyml1012 replied to mrslee97658's response:
First Congrats and I'm glad everything is going well!

Ruth - just wanted to let you know that if you get an epi you still get a cath. I've never had an issue with someone pulling on mine though, can say it's ever been painful.

mrslee97658 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Oh I know I have had two epis, but the cath I had recently was when I had my last m/c and they pulled on it too. They also left it in for 5 hours! I couldn't go pee for days after without it hurting.
Me Ruth(27), DH (43) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(3) 2 m/c 6wk, 9wk, BFP 11/23/10 EDD 8/4/11 Blue Team

earleyml1012 replied to mrslee97658's response:
Oh yuck! Sorry you both had not fun experiences with them.

noelle1225 responded:
Congrats on the new baby mommy! Sorry about the rocky bits but glad to hear things are calming down:) So happy that both you and Abby came through okay. How's DS doing with his big brother role?
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! First baby due Oct. 2011!

bbylove21 responded:
Tons of congrats Amanda : I saw the pics and she's beautiful and your big boy is adorable as well!! ) i HATE CATHS also. but i'm so glad you and abby are doing well,
Adriana(21) DH(26)Furry baby Lola (3yrs old shih-pom).. mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 9/25/10 EDD 6/29/10 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

LynnaeMarie responded:
Congratulations!!! I'm glad everything went so well! I saw your pictures & she's beautiful, what a lovely family you have.
Me (28) DH (34) M/C 2/10 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups). BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11!

Mandy_Smiles responded:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 Gweneth Grace :)

wmatto83 responded:
Congrats!!! Sounded like a smooth c-section but the before hand sounded unplesant. I didn't even know they can do an amino this late in the game that had to be scary. Good luck hope everything reminds healthy and happy!

marchbabee replied to wmatto83's response:
Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl :)
Me(30), DH(29), 1 m/c at 5w, 2 m/c at 6w, BFP 11/24/10, EDD 8/4/11. Blue Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old and married to my wonderful husband since 2007. We are expecting our first baby. This is our second pregnancy, but we lost the first...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.