Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do You Fear Postpartum Depression?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
As new moms, we discuss everything to prepare us for that special day our bundle of joy arrives, from cribs and car seats to breast or bottle. One thing that does not get much discussion, however, is how Mom will cope with all these new changes. Did you know between 10-20% of new moms experience postpartum depression ?

Let's face it, we are not born with a parenting manual, and sometimes the responsibility of raising a new baby can be overwhelming. Postpartum depression symptoms are very different from the "baby blues," a heightened emotional state that can hit 80% or more of new moms in the first days after the baby is born. True PPD can happen during pregnancy and continue well after delivery. If you're already feeling a bit of the blues, Dr. Schwartz's Depression Community can also offer support to help you cope.

According to WebMD, there are a number of factors that can increase the risk of postpartum depression , including a history of depression during pregnancy, poor support from family, partner, and friends, or high life stress, such as a sick or colicky newborn, financial troubles, or family problems. Even Dads can experience PPD .

Have you discussed PPD with your doctor, partner, or close friend/family? How are you preparing for those first few emotional weeks after baby arrives?

If you or someone you know has experienced PPD (or even baby blues) please share your story to help other moms here.

~Andie
Baby in the tummy, it's all up to mommy. But once the baby's had, it's bragging rights for Dad

bbylove21 responded:
I'm defenatly scared that I may end up having PPD, I feel like I've had a roller coaster of emotions all throught pregnancy crying over everything even the happy stuff. I could imagine myself crying for not knowing why the baby is crying. I hope i can cope with all the changes this baby throws at me. It's all very scary and new : /
Adriana(21) DH(26)Furry baby Lola (3yrs old shih-pom).. mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 10/22/10 EDD 6/29/11 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

MommaSampson responded:
I had a slight case of PPD with my first DD. I obviously didn't realize it at the time but what did bring it to my attention was one night she was crying horribly, she had colic and all I remember was sitting on the couch thinking she can just sit there and cry I don't care anymore. I yelled at her and then I burst into tears and called my cousin who came and calmed me and the baby down. After that I talked with my husband and we agreed that he would try to help more with the baby so that I could actually get out of the house. The only time I ever left the house was to go to the grocery store and then I still had my daughter with me. As much as you won't want to leave your baby I fully believe that if I had some time by myself I probably wouldn't have gotten to that point. Fortunately I didn't experience this with my second and hopefully I won't with Aidan either. I'm thankful that my PPD never got to the point that I hurt my daughter or myself. It could have been a lot worse than what it was. In my limited experience, I found that making sure I take some alone time and that talking about whatever bothers me that day with my DH helped me.
I'm Heather(26) and DH is 30. We have two little girls, 7

SLMama replied to MommaSampson's response:
Thanks so much for sharing that Heather. It's nice to hear women talk openly about it.
I worry sometimes that I may get PPD. I was diagnosed with serious depression when our daughter died last year and was on medication for a long time. Then we got pregnant again and my doctor and I decided to try weaning off the meds, since they weren't that good for Mini-Me. Now I am 3 months off and feel great, but that could change in an instant. I am constantly aware of my moods, hoping that if I can be proactive and real about my risk of PPD, it will help. My sister had horrible PPD with her second child, my niece, and she ended up using/abusing drugs. We had to take the babies from her and my other sister and I raised them while my brother and her got divorced. I haven't seen her in a few years, but I know she is still using. So I know how bad it can get and never want to get there. Thank god she never hurt the babies.

Adri - I think that the fact that you are even thinking about PPD is great. I firmly believe that awareness is key. And I know you'll be a fabuloso mama.
Me (23) DH (28) 2 Furchildren - Isis (meow) Cleopatra (woof) 1 Darling Angel Baby Safia Lee 07/27/10 BFP 03/01/11 - EDD 11/11/11 GREEN TEAM!!

sarah0323 responded:
Graduate....

I have had PPD with each of my children. For me it got worse with each PG. If you even think that you are having trouble please TALK to your Dr, SO, Mom, Friend, Clergy person but talk to someone. It will be so worth it. Beleive me your Dr. has heard it before and they truely want to help you. If they don't then it's time to find a new Dr. If you can't bring it up to your Dr. then bring someone along who can bring it up. I started taking anti-depressents at 22wks with Emily and after I started them and got the dosage right I truely felt so much better.

It took me 2 visits to bring it up. I knew all the signs but I didn't want to experience it again. Once it was out there though it was such a huge releif. I hated everything, my life, kids, family, house even myself. I would cry and b!tch about everything. I just wasn't happy. I will tell you even with meds I have had times where I just can't handle the baby. She will be crying and I will have to walk away. I am so thankful for my SO and my DD. They can tell when I've reached a breaking point and are willing to step in and help out. When she was a newborn I didn't want anyone one else touching her but they could help me do other things (cleaning house, making dinner or entertain the other kids for a little bit.

I make sure that I take time just for me. With 5 kids that can be a challenge but I have learned it is neccessary.

My advice is to make sure that you talk to your Dr. and have the supports that you need. If that is help with the baby or with the house. It is ok to tell people not to touch the baby and that you need help with the house instead or have them bring dinner over.
Sarah (32), SO(32, DD1(11), DS1(6), DS2(5), DS3(3), EDD 11/19/10 Pink, 4m/c's

MSettle78 replied to sarah0323's response:
I have always had a bit of OCD never really been treated for it but I worry that sometimes I will have PPD. I can get upset easily at DH for little reasons ... We dont excactly have a stress free life... I constantly worry about everything the dogs, the doors being locked, things being done right... Not to mention that we both work regular jobs neither of us make ALOT of money we are like middle class... We have a truck payment tho so its hard... Plus we have a house thats payed off tho which is good but money is tight.... It really helps me to read everyones stories and realize how serious this issue is and now I can look out for it if I see any signs I will go right to my Dr. Thanks for bringing this up
Me! Marissa (22) DH Matt (23) 2 Furbabies Bentley 4 and Myley 3... M/C Aug/10 at 5 weeks :( BFP 10/31/10 Due 07/11/11 Baby Boy Tyler Anthony ! :) Praying for happy healthy full term lively baby !

yub74 replied to sarah0323's response:
Kudos to You girl!!! .....for getting pregnant again 4 more times <3 I don't have bawls enough. Even at discussions with husband about having another it's like instant... dread. I won't be able to sleep and consuming anxiety. My daughter is 6years... I can't go back.

yub74 responded:
you will probably know in the very first day or two. definately educate yourself on the symptoms and get help from family friends and spouse or daddy. talk to doc

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, 31 BF, 26, 8/08 MC 8wks, 02/09 MC 6wks, 2 D&C, 3 furbabies. BFP 5/1/10, EDD 1/6/11.Mason Slade born 1/13/2011 via C-Section!!!

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.