Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ani - re: Progesterone
Lysana posted:
This is a continuation of a conversation from TTCAL. Ani asked me what I take as a Progesterone supplement during pregnancy, because she wanted more information since doctors have differing opinions on what works best and how long. I didn't think it was appropriate to have a detailed pregnancy-related conversation on TTCAL, so I'm posting it over here, instead. I imagine she'd appreciate input from anyone else who has experience with it, as well.

Doctors do have different opinions on progesterone supplementation. There are some who don't think it makes a difference, while others do think it helps.

I take Prometrium Oral 200 mg 1x/day. That's what my first OB prescribed, and it was apparently enough (if it was even necessary, but I am not willing to take the risk).

I called for a prescription from my new midwife, and she prescribed the same pill, but 2x/day. I'm still only taking it 1x/day, because otherwise it's the same thing, and again, that has always worked for me - she prescribed it because I asked for it, not based on my current progesterone levels, so there is no information to suggest I need to do it differently from before.

I will take it until 12 weeks. The placenta takes over progesterone production around 10 weeks, I think, but taking it through 12 weeks covers all the bases. That is what I am comfortable doing, and conveniently, that is also what my midwife recommends.

Many people feel that the vaginal suppositories are absorbed better, and go that route. Since I have never had a problem with the oral pills, I haven't worried about it, but it is something to consider.

I hope this information helps!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (35) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (11 mo) ~~ EDD 2/24/2011 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

marchbabee responded:
I too took Prometrium, 200mg 1/day at night. My levels were low, so before we TTC again (after 2 m/c) she started me on the oral medicine on the 14th day of my period. I got pregnant that cycle, and am now 34w along! I had to take it daily through the 10th week, and it worked just fine for me. I had no side effects (I probably slept through them!) and my levels at my 8w nurse educator visit were in the 2nd trimester range! If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I would have stopped taking the prometrium once a new period started, and then picked back up on the 14th day of the new cycle. HTH!
Me(30), DH(29), 1 m/c at 5w, 2 m/c at 6w, BFP 11/24/10, EDD 8/4/11. Blue Team!

alb7585 responded:
  • *Lurking**
    When TTC I was 200mg/ once a day for days 14-28 and then to induce my period they upped me to twice a day after I got a BFN. With the neg test I would be on the higher dose from days 28-36 to get my period going. When I got my BFP I was increased to 200mg three times a day until 12 weeks. Then from 12-14 weeks 200mg twice a day, then from 14-16 200mg once a day. They tried taking me off cold turkey and it caused cramping and spotting every time so weaning me worked better. Keep in mind in addition to my loss I have severe PCOS and make no natural progesterone basically. They watched my levels through my ENTIRE pregnancy. GL & HTH
    Me (25), DF (27), DS (11/14/07). DD (4/25/11). M/C 7/2010. PCOS success story for now
  •  
    ani05 responded:
    Thanks for your reply!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a wonderful fiance we have been together 11 years, we have been ready for a family since 2006. We have two dogs Harley and Bubba and a cat Dais...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
    A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.