Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Perfectly Planned or Pleasantly Surprised?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
All of our children are blessings, but sometimes those blessing come as a surprise.

Was this pregnancy something you planned for or were you like me and saw the little blue line and called it lies?

Do you think planned pregnancies are more special or different in any way? Were any of yours shockers?

Share your thoughts.

Baby in the tummy, it's all up to mommy. But once the baby's had, it's bragging rights for Dad

noelle1225 responded:
Our first pg wasn't planned so much as we just stopped trying to prevent it and ended up pg the first month. It was kind of a surprise bc who gets pg that fast wo really trying? That one ended in mc and we waited a while to try again.

This one was definitly planned. I watched the calander as well as various body clues like temp, cervical position etc, and we were actually tired of all the trying, but imagine our surprise when we got pg again that very first month! It seemed surreal to look at that test.

I think it's always special whether you are trying or not. One is a total surprise and a happy one at that, but the other is the sudden reality of something you've dreamed about! It's fantastic either way:)
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

SLMama responded:
This one was a little of both for us. We got pg on the pilll the first time around, and ended up losing our little girl. This one we were trying for almost 6 months, and I had given up charting or temping, etc., and thought there is no way we could get pg, since we had only "done it" (lol) once during my cycle and it was 5 days after my LMP, but lo and behold, there was a plus sign! :) So an amazing, partially planned awesome positive.
Me (23) DH (28) 2 Furchildren - Isis (meow) Cleopatra (woof) 1 Darling Angel Baby Safia Lee 07/27/10 BFP 03/01/11 - EDD 11/11/11 BLUE TEAM - Zachary Lane! Yay for little boys!

earleyml1012 replied to SLMama's response:
Our DD was definitely planned but we were pleasantly surprised that it only took 2 cycles of trying before I got pregnant. The baby that we lost last year was kind of planned. We decided to go off birth control and just see what happens...well I got pregnant the first month off. DH was in denial for a little b/c of how fast it happened. And now DD2, was definitely planned. We waited about 2-3 months after the ok to start trying again and then it took a few more months to get the lovely two lines. Since this pregnancy took a little longer than the previous two to happen, we were a little nervous that something changed in my body and that we won't be able to get pregnant again. Once I realize I had 35 day cycles and not 28 days, we got pregnant the second month of charting.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

Lysana responded:
I hope this doesn't post twice....

Out of six pregnancies, I have had one shocker: the one I lost this past March. My 3rd was only about 5.5 months old, and I'd had bleeding for two weeks - I was certain it was my first postpartum period. I was at the Gyn for a routine appointment, and the nurses came in with the shocking news. We were very excited, but sadly, we lost our little one at 11 weeks.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

marchbabee responded:
This one was planned. Our first one was like everyone else said, we just stopped using birth control. Imagine our surprise when we got pregnant the first go around. We lost that one, and were told we could start trying right away again. So, we did, and low and behold, we got preg. again. Unfortunately, we lost that one too. So, we took 2 months off since I hadn't gotten an actual period off of birth control yet and to let me recover a little bit. We also found out I had low progesterone, so I started the supplements on the 2nd cycle. I kept telling my husband that we shouldn't expect anything since now I was on my own cycle, and using the progesterone, so it may take a little longer to get preggers again. Nope, the first month we tried, it happened again. I will never forget how amazing I felt when I took the test (5 days before the first day of my period) and "pregnant" popped up! We took it the day we left to go to my family's for Thanksgiving. Let me tell you how thankful we were!
Me(30), DH(29), 1 m/c at 5w, 2 m/c at 6w, BFP 11/24/10, EDD 8/4/11. Blue Team!

ralica responded:
This one - definitely a shocker! We had one surprise years ago that ended up in miscarriage so I am thankful that this one so far is going good! We had planned our first two children and thought we were done, but I am so excited about this little surprise now; I don't think that for me any of my pregnancies have been more exciting than others, I have been equally happy and excited for all. Maybe a little more anxious with DD since that was the first pregnancy I saw progress and end in the delivery of a healthy and happy baby. :)
Me (36), DH (35), 2 mc, our PAL babies - Hannah Elise, born 09/17/08, and Paxon Thomas, born 04/03/10, and one more on the way, EDD 12/04/11; http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/vip/ralica01

Babyhopes614 responded:
This one was planned. Our first one was a complete surprise and when we lost it at 6 weeks we started trying, it took almost 2 months. We both work for a school and have summers off so the first one was going to be due in June which was great bc we would be our of work then. With this one Dh will be coaching football and I will have to take maternity leave. Which I don't mind :-) I like have a shortened year hehe
Jennifer(24) DH(27) M/C 10/12/2010 at 6 weeks. BFP 12/27/2010 EDD 9/13/2011. PINK TEAM~Parker Anne

missashley1010 responded:
This was a bit of a shocker. After losing are first my BF always talked about trying again and I wanted to wait for awhile just because we are young and all that. I said at least till after my 21st birthday but nope it happened but I wouldnt have it anyother way :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Kailah (29) DH (30) Twin Angels 5/06 @10w, and Angel Selah 3/12 @5w, PAL DD Mika 8/7/07 DS Urijah 10/31/08 DS Ezekiah 8/18/10 Snowflake EDD 12/18/1...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.