Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GTKYFP: Baby names
noelle1225 posted:
First off... I move up to labor watch come Friday so if you guys want to keep the GTKYFP posts going, one of the newer ladies will need to take over. Lynnae isn't far behind me so someone will also need to do the list soon (which I'm told is super easy) It's best to get that switched b4 she's gone so she'll be able to help w any questions or whatnot:) GTKYFP is a simple post a topic about almost anything (though it's hard to think of anything other than babies) once or twice a week. Now... moving on...

Do you have a name picked out? Are you sharing that name w others or is it top secret? Is there a reason you picked the name you picked, ie. it's original, family name, goes well with you other kids names? Did you know it when you heard it or did it kind of evolve to be a name you loved over time?

We, of course, are naming our little boy Cael Ryan. Cael being the name of a warrior in Irish folk tales and Ryan being DH's middle name. DH actually came across the name Cael and at first I really liked it but could not imagine that it was what DH would really want to name him. But once DH started patting my belly upon coming home from work saying, "how's my little warrior?" I figured he really meant it:) I like that it's original(at least here in the states) without sounding too strange. And I also think it's neat that there is a bit of a story behind it... I'll wait til he's a teen to point out that Cael was also a great poet and lover;) he'll probably appreciate that more by then. When he's little, he can just be Cael the Warrior!

If he had been a girl, we were considering Hadley, but we never made a definite decision.
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

earleyml1012 responded:
We are naming our little girl, Katelyn Grace. Not really sure how we came up with Katelyn but looking back to my pregnancy journal with DD#1 that was a name we were considering with her. So we've just liked it for a few years now. DH came up with Alexandra Marie's name, so I was given more say this time. Grace was my idea b/c of God's grace in our lives and how I truly felt that this baby was a gift from Him after our loss last year. Everytime I say her full name I just smile thinking of how grateful we are that God has given us a gift of another girl. We have shared our name with everyone and actually had to do it earlier than planned b/c DD was spilling the beans at daycare.

If we were having a boy, we thought about Benjamin Joseph but I wasn't sure about people shortening it to BJ.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

noelle1225 replied to earleyml1012's response:
I think both your little girl's names are precious... and I'm with you on the initial thing... I ran through intials alot to prevent something aweful from showing up:) I also had a first name can't end in "n" rule bc all of the baby's names would have ended in "n" and for some reason that bothered me! lol
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

LynnaeMarie responded:
Ah! The topic of my life right now, lol!

If we were having a girl this would be much easier, I already know that one: Charlotte Marie. 1st name is DH's grandma's middle name & 2nd is my mom's middle name.

But, we are having a boy & the only thing we have set is his middle name: Michael, which is DH's 1st name.

Here is our list:
Erich
Harrison
Sherman

Hamilton

Phillip
Spenser
Connor
Evan
Grant
Archer

They're not in any particular order, MIL really loves Spenser & Erich. None of them are family names, couldn't agree on any we liked, oh except Phillip which is my maiden name (well Phillips is, gotta drop the 's' of course).
I like all the names on the list, but am more partial to Erich, Harrison, Phillip & Connor.
DH really likes the German names (hence the spelling of Erich). I think he likes Hamilton the best, as in Alexander Hamilton his favorite person from history (DH is a history nut). We want something semi-original, so I don't know, not sure if we'll ever be set on a name!

It annoys me when people ask if we have a name & I say not yet, they say "oh, you're not telling?". No, I didn't say that...

Michelle: your girls names are very lovely, both are types of girls names that I love!!!
Noelle: I like Cael as your little warrior, it's a name that's cute for a little boy but will carry into adulthood very well also.
Me (29) DH (35) M/C 2/2010 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups), lots of cats. BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11! Blue team!

LynnaeMarie replied to LynnaeMarie's response:
hmmm... not sure why there ended up being extra spaces between some of the names & paragraphs...
it didn't look like that as I was typing it, I see the smiley faces are back though
Me (29) DH (35) M/C 2/2010 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups), lots of cats. BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11! Blue team!

SLMama responded:
I love all the names ladies!
DH and I chose Zachary Lane - after already deciding on Cooper - lol. Silly DH. I have to admit that I love Zachary more and more each day. DH's bff when we was growing up was a kiddo named Zachary. He died when DH and him were about 8 from Leukemia, and the name always stuck with DH. He brought it up while we were going over names one night and voila! it was fate! Lane is the middle name of DH and his Dad - passed on in their family. So that one was easy. However, we call the baby Junior, and have since we found out we were pregnant, and I have a feeling it's going to be a hard habit to break....
Morgan (24) DH (29) 2 Furchildren - Isis (meow) Cleopatra (woof) 1 Darling Angel Baby Safia Lee 07/27/10
BFP 03/01/11 - EDD 11/11/11 BLUE TEAM - Zachary Lane! Yay for little boys!

BethAnn88 responded:
I agree, I really like the names you all have picked out and the meanings behind them!

We haven't really settled on names yet. We have a girl's name we both really like, so I think if it's a girl, we'll likely go with that. For a boy, though, no clue. Good thing we have a while yet to make up our minds.

When we do decide, I'd like to share the name before he/she is born but DH says he wants to wait. I'm trying to convince him otherwise. I'd love to be able to call baby by name even before he/she is born.
Me(30) DH(31) Two little angels, m/c 5/09(10wks), m/c 6/11(5wks), BFP 7/22/11!!! EDD 4/2/12

noelle1225 replied to BethAnn88's response:
That's tough Bath Ann when the DH wants to do one thing and you want to do another! I have to say that I rather enjoyed seeing his name on shower cakes instead of just having "baby" on there and we got a few really cute embroidered keepsake pieces bc we shared, but it's also fun to come out and shout that Baby ***** has arrived healthy and give everyone two things to get excited about at once:)

Lysana responded:
I love this topic.

Noelle, I love Cael's name - the whole meaning behind it makes it very special!

Michelle, your description of your daughter's name made me teary. That's just awesome. Similar to why we chose Eliana's name - it is of Hebrew origin, and means "God has answered my prayer." She was our first after our (first) loss, and we thought it was perfect.

Lynnae, the name Connor jumped out at me. I like Connor Michael quite a bit. DH first wanted to use Michael as DS's middle name, because it's DH's first name (although not what he goes by), as well as his grandfather's middle name, and the first or middle name of various other of his cousins (none of whom go by it as their given name, incidentally). And, that cracked me up, Alexander Hamilton has always been my favorite person in history, too. Can't explain why, he just always was.

Morgan, so sweet that you are honoring your DH's childhood friend with your son's name. I love that.

Beth Ann, ugh, sorry you guys don't agree on whether to share the name! I hope you can come to an agreement on that (either way) when the time comes!

We chose all of our names when we were expecting DD#1, although the second boy name changed later. Understandably, we wanted to have a girl name and a boy name picked out, but then...we chose "2nd place" names for each, too. Not sure why, but we thought we needed to. LOL!

Our first girl's name was Eliana Marie. Eliana means "God has answered my prayer" (I think it literally means just "God has answered," but the rest fits). We thought that was perfect after our previous loss. Marie is DH's grandma's middle name, also a good friend's daughter's middle name (that's actually how I came up with it, and THEN found out it was Grandma's middle name...made it perfect!)

Our first boy's name was Joshua Daniel. We decided we wanted Biblical names, which for us, was easy for the boys and harder for the girls, because there are fewer Biblical girls' names we liked (thus Eliana's isn't Biblical, but has a related meaning). We loved the name Joshua and loved the people in the Bible it represents. The same with Daniel, plus it was DH's grandfather's first name.

Our second girl's name was Rebekah Jo. Rebekah was about the only Biblical girl's name we really liked, LOL, and actually we loved it. It has ended up fitting her perfectly, too. Jo is my (and my mom's, and, coincidentally, my cousin's wife's, and their daughter's) middle name.

Our original second boy's name was John Robert. John is my dad's first name and Robert is DH's dad's first name (but not what he goes by - he goes by Bruce, and we agreed that neither of us wanted to use it - as SIL always says, "Who looks at a baby and thinks, 'Oh, he's definitely a Bruce?'") Hee hee.

However, while I was pregnant with Bekah, Craig and I talked about it, and agreed that we didn't really want to CALL our next baby John or Robert. I really wanted to keep my dad's (and grandfather's) name in there, so we decided instead on Samuel as the first name. Both a Biblical name we love AND my mom's father's first name.

It's very important to Craig for us to know WHO the baby is ASAP - he likes to call the baby by name. He wanted to come up with another girl's name before we knew, so we'd be "ready," but I reminded him we'd have plenty of time if it turned out to be a girl, and I was hesitant because I've gotten SO attached to all of my names so far! I didn't want to decided I HAD to have another little girl if this one turned out to be the boy we were hoping for! (I already was struggling with the idea of never having a baby Samuel if this one were a girl!)
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

earleyml1012 replied to Lysana's response:
We have really good friends who named their daughter Elliana too b/c they were trying for almost two years before she finally got pregnant. I think it's such a neat meaning but we weren't going to use it b/c they are so close to us.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

Lysana replied to earleyml1012's response:
Awww! Congratulations to them on their Elliana! That is really sweet.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (Colleen)-32 DH (Chris)-32 DS (Drew) 2. 2 mc's in 2009. BFP 12/09 Pal Grad 8/22/10!!!

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.