Skip to content
Happy dance, and a small conundrum...
noelle1225 posted:
First off, my happy dance!

Went to my last centering group today and if you guys remember there was a big change up with the dr who oversees my MWs a few weeks back... Well its all straightend out now so no worries. Back when it happened they offered to pay for doula services for the September births since those people didn't have time to change many of their preferences. Today I found out that they have extended it through October.... I GET A FREE DOULA!!!! Woooo Hoooo! Frickin' Awesome! and if I have to transfer to the hosp for some reason, she will go with us to continue the support! Love It!!!

Now for my conundrum...

Used to they were fine w you delivering there up to 42 w, but the new dr isn't. They get antsy at 41 and schedule induction around 41 and a half. I had planned on not getting checked until 41 w bc that would give me a week to try all the tricks, but now I'm wondering if I should agree to be checked on Monday when I go back for my next apt. I'll only be 39 w and 3d and don't want to get discouraged, but I don't want to wait too long and not have a chance at natural induction methods either. They're booked solid and said they would be happy to see me at the end of the week instead but couldn't gaurentee I wouldn't have a long wait so I took the available apt on monday morning... What to do, what to do?
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

noelle1225 responded:
Just an update:)

I just met with all three of the doulas who will be basically on call for my birth. I'll end up with one of them, but it's nice to have met all three:) It was really nice. They were very thourough in asking questions about my preferences. They actually asked if I if I would allow ppl to take pics and how much I was comfortable with them getting pics of, i.e. him crowning etc. and if I would allow my support team to video.They are big on running interference and knowing what you want so they can keep people out of your face on the big day and still make sure your requests are followed. Not to mention all the questions about what kinds of meds/interventions I would allow to be offered. I can't even remember it all! And the lactation cookies were awesome!
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Sounds like you had a great time meeting the doulas. As far as getting checked on monday, in your last post you had mentioned quite a few contractions and saying he was feeling pretty low. I don't think it would hurt to be checked because it definately sounds like you made progress but if you would prefer not to get checked then don't. Best wishes. Can't wait to hear your story
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

noelle1225 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
I think I'm going to, but I just hope I don't end up discouraged. DH and I talked about it and we're leaning toward getting checked just because if we aren't making any progress it gives us almost two weeks to try the tricks and work up to the more agressive stuff like sweeping the membranes and a foley bulb instead of just jumping to the drastic stuff.

bbylove21 replied to noelle1225's response:
Lurking!!!

Noelle i'd say go ahead and get checked out your oficially term at 37w , I know the closer to your due date the better for the baby but you can defenatly start the natural ways of induction now .. Everyone is gonna fill you with ideas of how to get baby here and i will be one of them .... I also had a fear i might have to be induced since i didn't feel and bhc since 35 w what worked for me might not work for you but try it anyway A week before my due date I started rubbing my nipples with a warm wet towel ( the rougher the better) for nursing purposes to get my nipples used to the wear and tear lol a lady told me of this just so they wouldn't crack (and they didn't) and it's also supposed to induce your pregnancy i've read and honestly i know the whole sex thing has been proven to not start labor but it cert sertainly worked for me T.M.I i know. Have a little fun with it good luck plus hubby won't get it for a while after lol
Adriana(21) DH(26)Furry baby Lola (3yrs old shih-pom).. mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 10/22/10 EDD 6/29/11 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

earleyml1012 responded:
I say go ahead and get checked out. Like the PP said you've been having contractions, so I'm sure you've made some progress. I really wasn't having many contractions and at my last appointment I was 2cm, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. My disappointment is that the OB said it could be a few days and that was on Wednesday, here is it Saturday night and still nothing. I would love to not go back to work on Monday, plus I want this baby to come on her own too. Like you my OB will induce a little after 40 weeks due to my past, so I really want her to just come! Good luck with all the "tricks" for inducing labor yourself. DH really wants me to eat more spicy food!! Apparently he thinks that's what helped with DD since I had spicy food the night I went into labor with her.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

LynnaeMarie replied to noelle1225's response:
I'd get checked also, just to see. Just remember that you can go from nothing to full on labor, so if you don't have progress no need to fret

I am so jealous about your doula!!! I am a little nervous that my MW may be out of town, but she did put my birth plan in my chart.
Me (29) DH (35) M/C 2/2010 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups), lots of cats. BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11! Blue team!

noelle1225 replied to LynnaeMarie's response:
Lynnae, have you looked into whether there are any doula's in training in your area? They have to help at so many births to get certified and they are way cheaper but still a great source of support and have already studied the tricks. Ask your MW, she may know of some:)

Lysana replied to noelle1225's response:
It's probably too late - since your appointment was today - but do what you feel best doing. You can always stick to your plan of being checked a week early and have it done at 40 weeks.

Also, remember that even if the new director is getting antsy, you don't HAVE to let them induce - well, at any point, but ACOG doesn't consider you "post dates" until after 42 weeks, so you DO have support if you want to wait. Do what you feel most comfortable doing - but don't hesitate to ask them to monitor the baby after 41 weeks rather than induce, if that's what you'd prefer. Or if you'd rather just go with their procedure, then do that - but make sure it's because it's what YOU feel most comfortable doing, not just what the doctor wants. (Because you're a reasonable person, and if the doctor is properly informing you, then he shouldn't have any trouble convincing you if there is a true NEED to do something you'd rather not do - rather than just trying to scare you into it because he wants to cover his you-know-what. That is my perspective, anyway...and the reason I think it's SO important to have a provider you know you can trust.)

Yay, you are getting SO close! And, exciting stuff about the doula! I hope that works out well for you!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

noelle1225 replied to Lysana's response:
The issue isn't so much the induction bc I would absolutly refuse that up until a point when I thought it was necessary... The issue is that the new Dr. will not okay you to deliver at the center(legally the MW's aren't allowed to deliver you there without the okay from a Dr... silly since most OB's know far less about a normal birth than any MW!) and I do not want to be forced out of my birth center birth bc of going over by more than 10 days. That would mean I wouldn't have my MW's and I'd be in an unfamiliar environment:( I don't think it will be an issue. But it would really suck. Believe me... I'm probably the world's most informed pg lady on my rights and C.Y.A. medicine:) That's why I do so much research, so if I get shuffled to the hosp, I'll have stats and studies to back up what I know is accurate. You can never be too informed when it comes to your own care and the care of your baby.

Lysana replied to noelle1225's response:
Oh, UGH, I see. I did get that idea from what I just read in your Monday update, just hadn't seen it yet when I responded. That does make sense. I hope your little one arrives before you hit 41 weeks, then! I'll bet he will, though.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

noelle1225 replied to Lysana's response:
Yeah, they'll give me until 41 and a half, but after that I'm stuck at the hospy... I know I'm only losing 3 or 4 days at the end, but those 3 or 4 days are the easiest to make him wanna come out! lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Marissa I'm 22, my husband Matt (23) and I live in Sunny Belleair Bluffs FL right by the beach :) We have 2 dogs a pitbull Myley shes 3...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.