Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My night at the hospital
earleyml1012 posted:
First I want to start with my appointment yesterday. I was still only 2cm but 60% effaced and the OB tried to stretch me to 3cm...ouch!! He told me that he would induce tomorrow (today) but there weren't enough beds at the hospital. However, if I go into labor on my own that's a different story they'll have to give me a bed. Then he said if I don't have the baby on my own they won't induce until after my appointment next Tuesday. I was devestated b/c I've been in so much pain and had hoped he'd do it sooner.

So a friend knew I was disappointed and emailed me with a suggestion of what worked to kick start labor with youngest of 6 (long walk, Mexican food, and sex) so we tried all 3 last night and I started having contractions around 9pm. Nothing timeable but more painful than they had been. Well then baby started going NUTS!! I've never felt movement like that before and she was doing it consistantly for over 2 hours, so I couldn't sleep. Of course I had to go online to see what this could mean and a few things said that the baby could be in dis-stress so I called the OB. He told me to go to the hospital to be monitored, so we wrapped our almost 3 yr DD up and headed to the hospital. The whole drive my contractions picked up but movement stopped, While on the monitors for about 1/2 hr, my contractions picked up(7 mins apart) and intensified and baby's heart rate was good. So they decided to check me to see if I was further than 2cm to see if they would admit me, but nope only 2cm. The nurse gave me this little purple pill to help me get some sleep. DH said for about an hour I was having painful contractions and talking to him...I don't really remember this. Anyway, they stopped and I've only had about 2 mild ones so far this morning. I decided to stay home to get some rest and to just have me time to get rid of the stress, we'll see if labor picks up again. Never had labor stop like this before so this is new territory for me. We were hoping that I'd wake up at like 5am ready to go back to the hospital.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

noelle1225 responded:
Awww... Hate that you had a rough night and got your hopes up then things slowed down! Glad everything looked good with the little lady though. On the bright side, she can't stay in there forever. Things have got to start happening soon! Good luck on things starting up again. Everytime I walk I have ctx, but they also seem to stop when I do and I don't want to exhaust myself! I sit on a birth ball alot! trying to stay upright and put some pressure down there to help things open. I also started taking evening primrose oil 2 days ago. I think it's doing something bc the bowel changes you get from the prostaglandins that are needed to thin ur cervix arrived the day I started taking it. I'm just trying to tell myself that every ctx is moving him lower and pushing my cervix more. Soft and Stretchy, just like my hypnobabies cd's say:) DH and I have also DTD a few times, which you know is a feat this far along! lol. And I'm trying nipple stimulation. At this point I'm starting to think about what "interventions" I would allow if, worst case scenario, nothing has changed by my next apt on monday. It's a waiting game now:)
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Sorry you had such a long night at the hospital. I think its good that you stayed home today. Give yourself a little bit of rest and I hope things start moving along again. Hopefully labor won't stop next time so that you can meet your little lady.You are soo close and yay for having atleast a little progress in that your 2cm and were 60% effaced. Hopefully things speed up a bit for you. My cousin she did the same thing that you did with her oldest where she actually made mexican and was getting ready to eat it when her water broke. Hugs amd best wishes. You will definately be meeting her soon.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

LynnaeMarie responded:
Sorry for the rough night
Like the other gals said, glad baby girl is doing well.
Maybe it was the mexican food that got her moving a ton. I eat spicy food all the time & we DTD pretty regularly (2-3 times a week), so I don't think that formula would put me into labor, LOL.
These days I do have more consistent BHC after DTD. (yes, Noelle it really is a feat this far along!)

Hope you get some good rest today!!! Get nice & relaxed for sweet baby's arrival!
Me (29) DH (35) M/C 2/2010 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups), lots of cats. BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11! Blue team!

noelle1225 replied to LynnaeMarie's response:
LOL... its a real study in body mechanics and Physics... You never know what's going to work from one day to the next, and I'm sure it looks absolutely hilarious!
Noelle(27) Hubby (27) One MC @ 8.5wks July 2010. 2 Kitties and 2 Dogs. Yay for furry kisses! Cael Ryan due Oct. 21, 2011! Blue Team!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
((Hugs)) to you and hope you get needed rest tonight!

ralica responded:
We will be reading your birth story soon I bet, even though it may seem like forever to you! Best of luck! You are so close!
Me (36), DH (35), 2 mc, our PAL babies - Hannah Elise, born 09/17/08; Paxon Thomas, born 04/03/10; IT'S A GIRL! Madelyn Victoria EDD 12/04/11 http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/vip/ralica01

Spotlight: Member Stories

Started Trying to conceive our first in Oct 08, We got great news in May 09 only to have a find out we had a missed M/C in June at 10wks. We went for ...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.