Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Induction vs C-Section
earleyml1012 posted:
This morning I've been thinking a lot about induction and my body which lead me to a lot of questions.

Due to my postpartum hemorrhaging do you think it's possible that my uterus just doesn't know how to contract properly? I was thinking that this could be why I had steady contractions for a couple of hours and then they just stopped. Even the doctor was confused.

If this is possible, I'm nervous about them trying to induce b/c I know that it can put extra stress on the baby and I don't want anything to happen to her, with all we've been through I still worry almost daily about the baby.
If in my situation, would you think about just doing a c-section?

My appointment is tomorrow and I want to discuss this things with the doctor but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm so nervous now that I haven't had this baby on my own yet.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

Lysana responded:
I'm not sure what your full story is, but my understanding is that a long time on pitocin and a proglonged pushing phase can lead to hemorrhage. You might research that some.

A lot of women experience prodromal labor, where they'll have labor contractions for a while, and then they'll stop. It's really not all that uncommon, so I'm surprised that your doctor was surprised. But, again, there may be more to your story than contractions just starting and stopping.

Also, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists doesn't consider you "postdates" until 42 weeks. Prior to then, induction isn't necessarily indicated, and you can ask your OB to monitor your baby via ultrasound and/or non-stress tests to make sure all is well and an induction isn't needed.

From their postdates practice bulletin: "Options for evaluating fetal wellbeing include nonstress testing, biophysical profile (BPP) or modified BPP (nonstress test plus amniotic fluid volume estimation), contraction stress testing, and a combination of these modalities, but practices vary widely." http://www.mdfpcases.org/ob/articles/postdates.pdf

Personally, I would not want to choose a c-section unless I really believed my baby's or my health were at stake if I didn't. However, you have to make your own decision, based on your own research, doctor's suggestions, and how YOU feel about things.

I hope all goes well, and your baby girl makes her appearance soon!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

LynnaeMarie responded:
That is a tough one, I really don't have an answer for you. Kelly gave some good info though, so you can be better informed.

I think if your baby girl is under stress I would for sure consider c-section.
Let us know what your Dr helps you decide! Hopefully baby can come on her own, but if not that's what modern medicine is for
Me (29) DH (35) M/C 2/2010 at 12 weeks. Bailey, Molly (pups), lots of cats. BFP 2/20/11! EDD 10/31/11! Blue team!

Lysana replied to LynnaeMarie's response:
Well, now that I re-read that, some of what I said was kind of short-sounding. I always write too much, and I was trying to avoid rambling, and I think I came across shorter than I wanted to. It's really your decision - I was just trying to lay out some information, some from substantiated sources, and some from anecdotal sources (the hemorrhaging and prodromal labor stuff), to help give you an idea of what to look into.

If I were convinced that my baby's health were at risk, I wouldn't hesitate to have a c-section! But, for me, that is the only reason I'd do it. However, everyone has to make their own decisions. Some women DO choose a c/s for psychological reasons - they had a traumatic first birth, and they feel that a c/s is best for them.

My midwife actually chose to have a repeat c/s instead of a VBAC with her second because of complications during her first. So sometimes, even if you're a proponent of natural labor, the c/s is still the right choice for YOU, in your situation.

I just wanted to share that your options are not necessarily a choice between an induction and a c/s. There are safe ways to wait the baby out - monitoring that can be done to help everyone be comfortable that the baby is safe with waiting.

But, ultimately, you need to do what you feel is best for you and your baby. The important things are, first, that you and your baby are safe and healthy, and second, that you feel good about the choices you made, regardless of what they were or what other people may think. No one can have a problem with that.

(BTW, I don't think Lynnae was suggesting I sounded short or anything, but I re-read it and felt that way about it, myself.)

Can't wait to hear your story, Michelle! Sending you love and support, because I know this is a tough time for you. (((hugs)))
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

earleyml1012 replied to Lysana's response:
No worries, I didn't take anything you said as short-sounding or harsh. You don't know my full background so it's hard to say what you would do. You were just stating some facts.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

Lysana replied to earleyml1012's response:
Good, I'm glad. I hope that something I shared helped, even if you come to a different conclusion from what I would.

Keep us posted...hope your little girl comes soon!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, 31 BF, 26, 8/08 MC 8wks, 02/09 MC 6wks, 2 D&C, 3 furbabies. BFP 5/1/10, EDD 1/6/11.Mason Slade born 1/13/2011 via C-Section!!!

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.