Skip to content
Long birth story
earleyml1012 posted:
Tuesday (10/25) afternoon I went to my doctor's appointment. They did the non-stress test and the baby didn't do too well, so they decided to do an ultra-sound. Before sending me down the hall for that, the OB stripped my membranes and said that I was already 4-5cm. He wanted me to wait until 5:30 to call the office to say I was in labor so he could send me to the hospital where he would start labor for me. Well while waiting for my ultrasound I got super crampy. The ultrasound showed that there was plenty of fluid, actually extra, and that the blood flow to the baby was great...no stress. However, they measured her size and predicted 9lbs 6oz - 9lbs 8oz but told us that it could be up to half a pound off. I was hoping off smaller!

So on the way home, I called my mom to come watch DD. By the time she arrived at 5pm I was feeling super crampy and uncomfortable. We did what the OB said and went to the hospital by 6pm. When they hooked me up to see if I could stay, I was having contractions 4-5 mins apart even though it just felt like cramps to me and the OB said that I was now almost 6cm so they admitted me by 7pm. Off and on until 11pm I walked the halls and could tell the contractions were getting harder so I asked for the epidural. This was actually more painful for me than my contractions, so they still had not picked up a lot. By 11pm I had the epidural in and at 11:30-12 the OB came to break my water...this was when I noticed that I could still feel some discomfort on the right side a little but it wasn't bad. Well I was still 6cm, so they decided to let me rest. I tried sleeping but I was having automatic blood pressure taken every 15 mins and could feel the really strong contractions at the one spot, so I really didn't fall sound asleep but did get rest. At 3am the nurse checked and I was now 9cm, so she said she'd be back around 5am to check again. When she checked around 4:45, I was 10 cm and she made an interesting noise and asked me to push a little. She must've felt the head right there so she said she'd be right back and got the OB...I woke DH. A little before 5am they were ready for me to start pushing and after about 5 minutes Katelyn was born. I was a cry baby when I finally heard she was here!!! There was a minor problem with her b/c she swallowed too much fluid and was having a hard time coughing it up. So they took her for about 10 minutes to clean out her lungs and the pedi doctor came to help...I was nervous but she was fine.

We're home now and doing fine. Breastfeeding actually got harder for me and Katelyn is jaundice, so we decided to switch to formula. She seems happier than when BF and we're hoping her jaundice comes down soon...she's on a bili-blanket here at home, just like her big sister was. Alexandra loves her and is adjusting well...her and DH went to the park to have some time together.

I hope everyone else has a great rest of your pregnancy and that all goes well. Thanks for your support over my pregnancy!!! I'll miss you all.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I am so happy for you. And yay for being half way dilated at your appointment. Glad for the most part everything went well and that everyone is adjusting okay. Best wishes and congrats again
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

Smithc27 responded:
OMG Melissa, I have tears, I'm so happy for you! So glad you didn't have any (major) problems and sounds like everyone is doing great! Congratulations on your new little addition!
~Charlotte(26), DH(27), Furry child Gin (Aussie), M/C 3/2/2011, BFP 6/6/2011 EDD 2/12/2012, Pink Team!

Smithc27 replied to Smithc27's response:
Sorry, Michelle! Not so great sleep lately is making me forgetful of important information! Congrats again!!!
~Charlotte(26), DH(27), Furry child Gin (Aussie), M/C 3/2/2011, BFP 6/6/2011 EDD 2/12/2012, Pink Team!

noelle1225 responded:
Michelle I'm so glad your labor went smoothly even with the scary minutes after she was born. Congratulations and have fun with those two precious girls!
Noelle: PAL GRAD!!! 10/25/2011 Cael Ryan

Lysana responded:
Yay, Michelle! I am so, so happy that everything went well with this birth. Congratulations, and I hope to see pictures of your sweet little girl sometime!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

BethAnn88 replied to Lysana's response:
Glad everything went fairly smooth for you and that everyone's doing so well! Congrats on the new addition to your family!!!!
Me(30) DH(31) Two angel babies, m/c 5/11/09 (10wks), m/c 6/28/11 (5wks), Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! EDD 4/2/12

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (30) DH (33) Our Angel Boy 5/21/10 +HPT 10/25/10 EDD 7/19/11ish

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.