Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question for 2nd or 3rd or 4th time mommies :-)
mam546 posted:
I was just speaking to a fellow mom about 2nd pregnancies ( she just came back from maternity leave) and we were discussing how the 2nd we encountered more physical discomforts.

That made me wonder if that is something that others have experienced?

So moms with on their 2nd or further pregnancies, what is your opinion? Did you experience more discomforts with #2 or on? or was the pregnancy the same or better?

nicram8683 responded:
Well my daughter is 7, so it was 8 years ago that I was pregnant, and I don't remember a whole lot, except for 1 major difference. With my daughter I had no morning sickness. Never, not at all. This time, it has been pretty bad. Also with daughter I gain A LOT of weight, to embarrassed to even give the #. So this time around I am eating more healthy and because I was so sick, I have already lost about 9 pounds. I am only 16wks so I will see as I get further along if other things are different.
Nicole(28)Mike(30) 7yr old DD
Diagnosed MFIF June 2011 after 27 months no BC(12 months active trying)
BFP: 8/2011 M/C @ 6 weeks 9/2011
BFP: 10/2011 EDD 06/25/2012

Lysana responded:
Oh heck yeah. LOL! Yes, each one has been physically harder (my oldest just turned 5, so that has something to do with it too, all close together). However, my pregnancy with #3 was the most painful, by far - more so than this one. Other things are harder this time...moving around...etc...but not nearly as much pain as I had while pg with her. At this point, and weeks before, even, I could hardly move because of sciatic pain. But this time, I'm not having nearly as much.

My first two were similar to each other, but #2 was a bit harder. I think, though, it may come down to my weight/fitness level. I weighed about the same when I got pg with #2 as with #1; I weighed 25 lbs more when I got pg with #3 as with #'s 2 & 1; and I weighed about 6 lbs more when I got pg this time than with #'s 2 and 1 (so about 19 lbs less than with #3). I think if I had weighed about the same each time, they would have been successively less comfortable, but not as drastic of a difference as between #2 and #3.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

Lysana replied to Lysana's response:
I'm referring to pain level/ability to move around, not things like nausea, exhaustion, anxiety, etc. Those have been hit or miss.

With my first (girl) and fourth (boy), tons of exhaustion during 1st tri.

With my first two (#1 girl, #2 boy), almost no nausea, but I had regular headaches - would have a bad migraine 1x/week during 1st tri.

With #2 and #4 (boys), significant heartburn from the start.

With #3 (girl) and #4 (boy), nausea through first tri, although it was worse with #3, by quite a bit.

Emotionally, they've all been a little different:

With #1, all my emotions were heightened, but I don't remember anything significant until the last 5-10 weeks.

With #2, I had significant depression from about 18 weeks until the end of the pregnancy.

With #3 and #4, I was/am much more easily overwhelmed, unable to handle chaos, unable to multi-task, difficulty focusing, and it has gotten worse as I've gotten closer to the end of pregnancy. With #4, I got to add unfocused anxiety to the mix through 1st and 2nd tri.

Where each one has gotten harder is with just the ability to get around, get up out of chairs, walk around, etc as the pregnancy has gotten farther along (especially 3rd tri). And the BHC have gotten worse with each one (although they've never been what I'd call bad).
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

earleyml1012 responded:
Yes, my first one I hardly had any discomforts but my second I had some much pain from 15 weeks one. There were times where I felt like I couldn't walk the pain was so bad. My OB told me it was due to everything being stretched out already...the muscles aren't as strong to hold up all the weight. Hang in there! The pain is so worth it when you hold that little one.
Me (28) DH (28) DD (12/6/08) EDD (10/21/11) Pink Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

me 28, DH 28, DD 9/25/08, and Baby #2 due 9/24/10!!!

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.