Skip to content
Kellan Michael birth story- long version
KonaMommy posted:
The longest part of Kellan's birth story was waiting for his arrival. So many of our friends and family assumed that he would be early and our holiday plans were very unplanned because we had no idea what to expect. Christmas came and went and we continued to wait, and wait, and WAIT. I went to my OB appointment on 12/28 and was dilated at 3 cm, but no other signs of impending labor. The doctor seemed to be trying to get a read on our preference to move things along versus wait, but I really saw no need to induce on the basis of impatience and the bio-physical U/S score (8 of provided no medical reason to induce early (I think they schedule induction if you score 6 or lower). Anyway, the doctor seemed to think I was likely to deliver before 1/3/12 and stripped my membranes during the appointment to try to get things moving. I began to have sporadic contractions following the appointment and throughout the night. They got closer together, but completely stopped when I got up and walked around the next morning. The same pattern continued the following afternoon and overnight and I was up most of the night timing contractions that finally got close enough to call the doctor. My Dad came over at the crack of dawn to watch our 2-year-old (Mom was planning to meet us at the hospital), but by the time we were packed up and were ready to go, my labor stopped again (sorry Dad:)). We hung out all day and my contractions picked back up. They were very intense (more so than I remember with my first) and by the afternoon, I could no longer shield our 2-year-old from them as I was screaming in pain. My contractions never met the 5-7 min. interval for an hour ( I kept getting a rogue interval of 14 min or so), but they were very intense, so I called the doctor and they told me to go to the hospital. I was surprised that they let me bypass triage at the hospital and directly admitted me (maybe because I was past due date??). I was dilated at 4 cm. and they gave me the epidural pretty quickly as they could see that I was quite uncomfortable. Labor progressed pretty quickly- each time they checked me, I was a couple more cm. dilated. There was some added excitement as we waited to see if baby would arrive on 12/31 or 1/1-- they knew it would be close. The doctor and nurses seemed to be gauging our preference about the date (we did not care and were not striving for the New Years Baby, just wanted to go with the flow). In any case, doctor broke my water at 9 cm. which really moved things along. Baby arrived after about 10 min. of pushing (not sure we could have realistically made it to 1/1, but maybe if they hadn't broken my water??). As with my DS, I needed a fair amount of stitching following the delivery; but I really did not mind as my beautiful baby boy (yes- a boy- just as I thought!) had arrived safe and sound. When they laid him on my chest, he stuck his thumb in his mouth and started sucking away- so cute (an old pro after doing this in-utero, I presume). It really could not have gone any better. I am so relieved to get to the end of this journey. The end result was certainly worth it!! Kellan is such a sweet and quiet baby, we are so blessed. Thanks again to everyone for your support throughout the pregnancy!

Kellan Michael
12/31/11
11:43 pm
8 lbs. 4 oz.
20 3/4 in.
Beth (33), DH (32), DS (2), Missed M/C 12/10 @ 12 weeks, EDD 12/24/11, Yellow Team

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Sounds like he really wanted to keep you guessing when he was wanting to come. Sounds like he just wanted to be a new years eve baby instead of a christmas eve baby. Glad that everything went well and that he is a good baby and that once he decided to come he didn't waste anytime. Best wishes and congrats
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

bethann88 responded:
Congrats to you and your family! Enjoy that little guy!
Me(30) DH(32) Two angel babies, 5/11/09 (10wks), 6/28/11 (5wks).
Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! - EDD 4/2/12 - Blue Team

Lysana responded:
Congrats again, and thank you for sharing!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

Mandy_Smiles responded:
Welcome to the world Kellan Michael!
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD 8/23/12. Green team!

hlvmom10 responded:
lol all i could think about.. tax deduction!!! Congrats to you and your family

Spotlight: Member Stories

It's been a little over 11 months since I delivered Charlotte a month early. What a happy day that was! She was born with hypotonia(low muscle to...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.