Skip to content
Help! Baby has the Hiccups!
smithc27 posted:
It seems like my poor Baby Girl gets the hiccups A LOT, usually once a day. It feels weird for me, but they are really strong and I feel so bad for her! I keep meaning to ask my OB about it, but always forget when I get into the office. I don't think they are harmful, but I know how much I hate getting the hiccups.

Is it normal for a baby to get the hiccups this often before she is born? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
~Charlotte(26), DH(27), Furry child Gin (Aussie), M/C 3/2/2011, BFP 6/6/2011 EDD 2/12/2012, Pink Team!

Lysana responded:
Soooo normal, and it actually helps develop their lungs and diaphragm. They're a GOOD thing!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

bethann88 replied to Lysana's response:
My little guy gets hiccups all the time too! I've heard they're harmless but I was starting to worry because he gets them so often (like 2-3 times a day). Good to know it's actually normal!!
Me(30) DH(32) Two angel babies, 5/11/09 (10wks), 6/28/11 (5wks).
Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! - EDD 4/2/12 - Blue Team

ralica responded:
Just lurking...

You are so cute! This made me smile and remember how I use to worry about everything! Bless you and your little one! And really, it's just fine, all my kids got lots of hiccups too.
Me (36), DH (35), 2 mc, our PAL babies - Hannah Elise, born 09/17/08; Paxon Thomas, born 04/03/10; Madelyn Villi, born 11/28/11 Thank You PAL! http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/vip/ralica01

smithc27 responded:
Thanks girls! I really just didn't know; I mean I know they aren't harmful to adults, I just worried b/c she was getting them ALL THE TIME and I always felt so bad for her LOL

I've tried to not let a lot of little things bother me with this pg. With my first (which was discovered almost year ago), I was soooo paranoid about everything: deli meats, cat litter, coffee; I avoided all of those, went by the guidelines... and still lost the baby. So I've tried to be much more relaxed with this one, and she's doing great! Thanks for the great advice, makes me feel a little better, and it put DH at ease too
~Charlotte(26), DH(27), Furry child Gin (Aussie), M/C 3/2/2011, BFP 6/6/2011 EDD 2/12/2012, Pink Team!

Lysana responded:
They get them a lot as a newborn, too. It's so precious!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Where did my old story go? Well I am still Kasi, and still married to DH David, and still have two wonderful little boys! Keep going back and forth th...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.