Skip to content
Baby Shower Question
MaryKate167 posted:
Perhaps this is a little weird, but I need some advice.

My DBF is NOT the father of my son, Jack. My DBF, Josh's, parents are divorced. His dad's side is full of whack jobs...and his mom has offered to throw us a baby shower.

Keeping in mind that his parents had a very amicable divorce, and continue to have a good relationship now....My questions lie in this.
  1. Do I invite my sisters and SILs to my shower with his family? My fam threw me a shower when pregnant with my son, so I would not expect them to throw one this time around.(Some backround, I am the youngest of 8. I have three sisters, two of which I talk to regularly. One of my 3 SILs is my best friend. The other two, I also talk to regularly)
  2. DO I invite Josh's grandma (His dad's mom) to a shower with his mom's family?
I'm just not sure how to handle this. Truly, I would be ok if we didn't have a shower at all, but I think that my DBF would be SO disappointed. We also have friends that are throwing us a couples shower!

Thoughts?
Mary (30), DBF, Josh (28). PAL DS, Jack (2/2/2007), 4 angel babies. Expecting our miracle: 7/12/12 - Yellow Team!

Lysana responded:
Totally not weird. Let me think on it and get back to you. I'm not sure.

Do all of your sisters know now?
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

crys0511 responded:
I think it's better to invite everyone in the family and if they want to come fine and if not fine. It's better to not hurt feelings. You can also ask your DBF's mom who you should invite from his family since she's throwing it, and you invite your side. I think My MIL invited all my DHs family and I invited mine to my first shower.

Good Luck
Crystal (29) Hubby (39) Alex (7) ~ Angel Baby ~Brooke, went to heaven 2/24/08 at 22.5 weeks, Pal baby after 3 years of TTC! EDD May 20, PINK team!!!!

MaryKate167 replied to Lysana's response:
The two that I actually talk to know. I don't really feel compelled to call my other sister....I don't even have her phone number!
Mary (30), DBF, Josh (28). PAL DS, Jack (2/2/2007), 4 angel babies. Expecting our miracle: 7/12/12 - Yellow Team!

Lysana replied to MaryKate167's response:
Nope, I wouldn't either, just was wondering whether you'd gotten an idea of whether your other sisters might have mentioned it to her.

Would your best-friend SIL be in a position to give you advice on whether to invite others from that side of the family? I am not sure how involved she is in the family dynamics...whether she might have a better feel for how your sisters would take to being invited (or not).
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.