Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unexpected update..
vybe77 posted:
So this morning after work I decided to go and brave the ER..I have been having pains in or around my ovaries/fallopian tubes since before being pregnant and I wanted to have it checked out..unfortunately they cannot check as well as they would of liked since it would of taken a complete scan and those emit radiation which can be dangerous for the BB..so they took blood and checked the HCG..my results came back at 500 which the Dr. said was low for a 6 week (from LMP) pregnancy..so they did an ultrasound..the regular ultrasound showed a gestational sac so they did a TVS which again showed the sac but nothing inside..the Dr. says not to worry because it could just be that I am not as far along as I thought..I am just worried now that maybe there really is something wrong..is there not supposed to be a fetal pole at this stage? If someone has any input that would allay my fears please don't be shy..
The Dr. again said that a repeat HCG count would be necessary to check to make sure that things are doubling but he recommends not coming back to the ER because it is very busy and he proposes to wait the 6 weeks until my OB appt. I mentioned that I could possibly buy another digital to confirm that it has gone up form last week's (2-3 weeks along) so I will do that..

scarolinarn responded:
((Hugs)). I know that you are scared/worried right now. I remember you said that you are from Canada and I know that the health care system is very different from the US, but can't your OB or the ER doctor schedule you for an outpatient lab to repeat your HCG?
Nichole(29) DH(30) DS(2) chemical pregnancy 2/08, missed mc w/D

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I agree with PP, can they not just schedule you an outpatient blood draw for a quant level and then send the results to your OB. Or maybe call your OB that you are scheduled with and let them know you went to the ER because of pains and that they wanted you to do another set of labs to confirm viability and see if they will set that up for you. Also for some it is common to not see anything that early one. For some they will go in and not see anything at 6 weeks and then they go back a week later and they have a little bean in there. And I just wanted to also remind you that when you 1st took your digi test it had only said 1-2 and then when you took it I think you said 3-4 days later it went to the 2-3 weeks. So we know there has been a rise. I wonder if you really may have gotten an early result where you may have only been 3-3.5 weeks when you found out and then when you took the next one it reached the in between 2-3 weeks gestations (meaning 4-5 weeks). This would explain the slightly lower levels as well. I would call the OB and explain like I said above and see if they will do anything for you say in a week where you would have a fairly good rise at that point. Hugs and best wishes. And remember to breath.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

vybe77 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
DF has been telling me all day that he is not worried, he says he has a good feeling about this time..I wish I had the same good feelings because being scared like this really sucks I guess now I know why there have not been so many symptoms..so I plan on calling my OBs office on Monday and requesting to be seen at their mini clinic...in hopes that I can make it in..ladies am I right in assuming that if all has been going well so far that the next time my HCG gets checked it should have doubled therefore it should have reached the 1000 mark by then?? Also even though Drs like to go from LMP I know that I am still only 5 weeks along still from my O so that could of also made a difference...
Thx fro the words of encouragement I needed them and they helped..now to focus on staying calm...

vybe77 responded:
You know I also just thought about what you were saying Heather about how far along I really am..on Fri.Feb.3d when I spotted for 1 day I was then 4 weeks from LMP but the BB was only 3 weeks along..when I started to confirm on Mon.Feb.6th the BB was then at 4 weeks..so this Mon coming the BB will be at 6 weeks so yeah it is still possible that all is ok..
Sorry ladies about the venting...it just makes me feel better to sound things out here with you girls..thank you.

ani05 replied to vybe77's response:
Vicky I remember that you ovulated later so you shouldn't be 6 weeks and you know about the symptoms when I got pregnant with my daughter I didn't have any until I was about 7 weeks.Hopefully you get to see the Dr earlier so they can check your HCG so you don't have to live with all of this stress.It's not good for you and the baby.

vybe77 replied to ani05's response:
I know Ani that the stress is not good but until I get some better news I am having a hard time managing it
Ok so I would like to write out my timeline for you all so that maybe this can make more sense to me..bare with me ladies (I'm so sorry)
LMP- Jan.6th
OPK- Jan.23d...O occured (w/o being absolutely certain) either Jan.23-25th
IB- Fri. Feb.3d & Sat.4th..preggo test negative that day..
1st very faint preggo test on Mon. Feb. 6th
I tested all week that week and my positive, while faint, grew darker all week..
On Fri. Feb. 10th got a FRER and a digital dating me at 1-2 weeks..
Sun. Feb. 12th got 2nd on 2nd FRER and the was darker than the last..
Mon. Feb. 13th got 2nd on digital dating me 2-3 weeks..
Fri. Feb. 17th- ER Dr. confirms HCG at 500 and we see a 3mm sac (empty) on ultrasound and TVS.
So what do you ladies think..

vybe77 replied to vybe77's response:
So sorry ladies I was using the symbol for positive/negative and they seem to not have appeared..so once again..
LMP- Jan.6th
Positive OPK- Jan.23d...O occured (w/o being absolutely certain) either Jan.23-25th
IB- Fri. Feb.3d & Sat.4th..preggo test negative that day..
1st very faint positive preggo test on Mon. Feb. 6th
I tested all week that week and my positive, while faint, grew darker all week..
On Fri. Feb. 10th got a positive FRER and a positive digital dating me at 1-2 weeks..
Sun. Feb. 12th got 2nd positive on 2nd FRER and the positive was darker than the last..
Mon. Feb. 13th got 2nd positive on digital dating me 2-3 weeks..
Fri. Feb. 17th- ER Dr. confirms HCG at 500 and we see a 3mm sac (empty) on ultrasound and TVS.

Found this online..
You won't expect to see a gestational sac or the fetus until the hCG level reaches at least 1,200 mIU/ml.
Which encourages me since I saw the sac at only 500 HCG
Also found..
Within the first 2 - 4 weeks after fertilization, hCG usually doubles every 48 - 72 hours. That usually corresponds to hCG levels below 1200 mIU/ml.
So it seems that a 500 is quite normal for 2-4 weeks from fertilization..
This will be a very long weekend

Found some more comforting info online..

The gestational sac first appears at about 4 weeks gestational age, and grows at a rate of about 1 mm a day through the 9th week of pregnancy.It initially appears as a round, anechoic structure. In experienced hands, it may be detected as early as 30 days gestation by TVU.
While a gestational sac is sometimes seen as early as during the 4th week of gestation, it may not be seen until the end of the 5th week, when the serum hCG levels have risen to 2500 - 3500 mIU/mL.
At this early stage of pregnancy, the gestational sac already contains the yolk sac, embryonic disk, and amnion, but these structures are too small to be visualized by sonography.
Fingers crossed that this is me

BridgetBurke replied to vybe77's response:
I am so glad you found that information. I was just going to tell you that nothing can be detected by u/s until at least 1000 mIU/mL. My doc won't even do one before 6 wks because she said nothing is visible besides the sac. I went for an u/s Feb 14th (I was 8 wks) and there was just a little 1 cm blob there. Try to relax if you can. I think you were prob closer to 5 wks preggo in which case all sounds well with the bean. Try to get a second hCG draw. That is what will tell you for sure that everything is ok. Praying for good news. In the meantime, since Monday is so far away, please feel free to vent or chat as needed. Wishing you all the best.

Bridget

hgreenwood7058 replied to vybe77's response:
I am glad you found out the information as well. I was going to mention the hcg as well. When I had gone to the er with the 1st pregnancy I was told by the dr that they really can't see anything until hcg is atleast 1200 so it is encouraging that so far you have a sac. According to when you approximately ovulated you would have only been about 5 weeks so it is very encourging since some don't see the sac till later or anything in it. Providers to tend to go off of lmp but as well all know sometimes you ovulate later and hcg rises at different stages. My 1st number this time around was only at 130.8 at about 4 weeks so my numbers would have probably been very similar to yours. I didn't get another draw for 2 weeks and it jumped up to 23758.6 so right now things are looking pretty good for you. Hugs and best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

vybe77 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
First thing I wanted to say is I am so sorry ladies for being so annoying with all the posts..I wish I had been able to just relax and stay calm but of course since last year's loss I am more worried than I usually would be in the 1st trimester..thank you ladies again for being here and understanding me
Second thing is I wanted to correct myself on one of my previous posts I mentioned that BB would be at 6 weeks on Monday..what I meant is I would be 6 weeks by Monday but I know that BB is kinda following his own schedule..to make myself calmer I am now following BB's schedule lol..since I know that my OPK was on Monday Feb. 23d I am assuming that fertilization happened before the end of that week which makes BB aprox. 25 days in gestation..and that aproximation matches the 3mm sac that I saw yesterday and makes sense that I would not have seen the yolk sac yet..I am going to my local drugstore soon to buy another digital and I will also get another FRER just to see if it will grow darker then my last one..the digital I will use on Monday since the last one was used last Monday..
Third thing is if we think of this logically then it would make sense that I should try to back-up with my HCG levels being 500 on Fri Feb.17th then they were prob. 250 on Wed Feb. 15th and 125 on Mon Feb. 13th and aprox.60-65 last Sat Feb. 11th and then 30-35 Thurs Feb. 9th and aprox. 15-18 on Tues Feb. 7th and 7-9 on Sun Feb. 5th with my IB being on Fri. Feb. 3d that makes sense does it not?
Fourth thing is I guess I am upset at the ER Dr. for making me worry so much..he is the one that said it was a low HCG but then again he was basing himself on the LMP date..today I am 5w5d along so that would mean that BB is only at 3w5d and I guess that would be a little early to see anything..I just always thought that the heart started beating around 21 days of gestation so I had wrongly assumed (before arriving at hospital yesterday) that I might have been able to see it on an u/s..after the Dr. saying what he said and then the sac being empty it totally freaked me out..I just hope BB heard me talking to it last night..I was telling it how much we want him and that if he was feeling that mommy was nervous it was because mommy and daddy so very much would like to meet you in a couple of months so grow well LO..
I find it relaxed me a little and boy was I ever in need of it!! Again thx for taking the time to read my posts and responding but most of all thx for sharing your stories, they encourage me to think that there still is a lot to hope for

hgreenwood7058 replied to vybe77's response:
I saw on the ttcal board that you bought a digi and it now says 3 weeks so its sounds like it is rising as it should.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a wonderful fiance we have been together 11 years, we have been ready for a family since 2006. We have two dogs Harley and Bubba and a cat Dais...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.