Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
full birth story
hgreenwood7058 posted:
I had an elevated BP at my 37w1d appt so they decided to have me go back in the next day after running some labs. I went back in and my labs were for the most part just fine but my BP was more elevated than the day before. They said it looks like I am in the beginnings of pre-eclampsia (they said i had mild pre-e but they were just going to watch it). They decided to hook me up to a monitor and check to see his activity and then order a BPP u/s to check on everything. When they checked me the day before I was only 1cm 50% effaced . Well I started having contractions 3 minutes apart while being monitored. She went ahead and checked me again and I was 2-3cm and 80% effaced so they decided to send me up to the hospital to be monitored. It took them like 2 hours to register me and when she got up there she checked me again and I was almost 4 cm and 90% effaced so she said it looks like I am in active labor since i had good progession in that little bit of time. Well I stalled after that. I was still contracting every 3 minutes but wasn't dilating. My contractions would slow if I walked but never went away. After 18 hours I was at 4cm. That next morning was put on bed rest because the last couple times I had gotten up to go to the bathroom baby would decel but would come right back up. When I hit 5cm they decided to break my water because he was far enough down and my water was literally pulsing when he checked me (I had a female dr but she wasn't on call after i saw her on thur so i had a few other drs). So he broke the water and my contractions went to 1 minute apart and even stronger than the strong contractions before only problems is it would take me hours to dilate. It hit around 6:00pm or so on the 2nd day and I asked for a shot because the contractions went from one minute apart to contractions that would rise and fall a little bit and rise right back up. Then I gave in and got an epidural. It worked for about 2 hours (still not dilating past a 5 at that point) unfortunately I went completely un numb on my left side so I felt everything anyway. They tried switching positions because baby was deceling (still coming back up at that point) but it was more frequent so I was no longer able to lay anywhere but my right side. They gave me a bolus of meds but because I couldn't lay on my left side it never worked. I got to 7-8cm after a few hours but he was having more frequent decels. Doctor said he was getting worried that with the decels and my body just not dilating like it should (he also said I should be complete at that point not where i was) that it may end up in a c-section. Well he gave me an hour to make progress and if no progress he was going to go in and get him since it would be safest. I went the hour and got up to 9cm but still had a lip of cervix left so he restarted the clock and said okay this is it. Well it was less than an hour and nurse came in because baby started deceling and staying down. He checked me and while I got to a 10 there was still a lip of cervix. He tried to have me push but baby was so wedged in there he wasn't budging.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

hgreenwood7058 responded:
And it was decided at that point that we needed a c-section because of the decels. They had me sign papers and originally they were going to do a spinal but when they got in there baby and i were both not doing well so they decided general anesthesia was the quickest and safest route to get him out. They knocked me out and started surgery at 2:03am and carson was born at 2:10am 7lb 5oz and 21 inches long. Dr told me that it was likely i would have never been able to deliver him naturally because he was big and he was wedged very tight in there. He told me i did really well and basically did the equivalent of a vaginal birth and a c-section because i had the effects of both and i was in labor just under 36 hours before the c-section and a lot of the contractions were off the charts. I had some contractions that lasted up to 6 minutes. It was a long road. I had a lot of nurses and a few doctors as well. I didn't get to see my son in person till he was about 9 hours old. Husband got to see him a few minutes after he was born and took a picture so I could see him. Baby and I stayed 4 days in the hospital (6 days for me total) before we got to go home (this past wed). He was a little jaundice but by the 3rd day he needed the blue light. He was in there the whole day except to feed. Some of the nurses really tried to push supplementing with formula but I kept telling them no. It took a while to get little man to feed but now we are doing pretty well. I am still sore but I would do it all over for him again. He is a week old today.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

codysu responded:
Wow Heather, sounds like quite an ordeal! I'm glad that they made the decision to do the c-section and that Carson and you are both healthy! How big was he?
IVF 1 Nov-10, m/c at 6wks, IVF2 BFP 11-11-11! EDD 7-26-12!!

hgreenwood7058 replied to codysu's response:
he was 7lb 5 oz and 21 inches long at 2.5 weeks early. When we left he was at 6lb 11 oz (they tend to lose weight after their born. up to a pound and want them to get to their birth weight by 2 weeks). He had his appt today and he is at 7lb 6oz and 9 days old so yay for him gaining weight. I am breastfeeding only and so it shows he is getting enough which is great. He had to have a heal stick today which is no fun. He will be going in, in the next week for a circ and his 2 week check too poor boy.

jedmonds12 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Sounds like you worked hard to get him here, mama! Good job! I'm glad you and your sweet little boy are both doing well Thanks for sharing the full story!!
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

Mandy_Smiles replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Oh wow, Heather, what a birth story! I am glad that your baby boy is here safely and I am so glad that breastfeeding is working out so well for you guys. Thank you for sharing!
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD Late August 2012. Green team!

codysu replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
That is great he was a good size for being 2.5 weeks early! I am glad the breastfeeding is going well and he has gained back the weight he lost after he was born. I hope the circ goes well...poor little guy! I hope you are enjoying every minute of being a mommy! I can't believe he is already 10 days old!
IVF 1 Nov-10, m/c at 6wks, IVF2 BFP 11-11-11! EDD 7-26-12!!

BethAnn88 responded:
Congrats Heather! Our little guys almost share a birthday!! I'm sorry you ended up with an emergency c/s. But I'm so glad you and Carson are doing well.
Me(30) DH(32) Two angel babies, 5/11/09 (10wks), 6/28/11 (5wks).
Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! - EDD 4/2/12 - Blue Team

hgreenwood7058 replied to BethAnn88's response:
yep very close to sharing a birthday and thanks cody as well. I hope the circ goes well also. Normally they do it about 10 days old but his doctor was out which is okay since its only a few days later. I love being mommy. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been together from 6 years. We got married in June of 2010. We enjoy spending time with eachother and family. I found out I was ...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful