Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Story!! (the long version)
BethAnn88 posted:
Sorry it's taken so long to post this. It's amazing how something so small can keep a person so busy!!

Short: Ethan Daniel was born March 30 at 6.52am, 6lbs 7.7oz and 20.75 inches long.

Long: I woke up Thurs morning (3/29) to contractions. At first I figured they were just the same BHC that I'd been getting for weeks. But by 10am that morning I realized they were getting regular and not going away. I started timing them and they were anywhere from 7-10 min apart. They continued all day, never getting any closer together, but gradually getting stronger. I had been told to wait until they were 3-5 min apart before going to the hospital. But by that evening, they were getting painful enough that I had to breathe through them. So we decided to head on in just to get checked out.

I got to the hospital around 8:30pm. I was 5 cm so they admitted me. I had every intention of getting an epidural, but wanted to hold out as long as I could and felt I was handling the contractions okay at that point. So I held off. DH was great helping me breathe through contractions and I spent a good deal of time on the birthing ball (I highly recommend that!). But around midnight, I'd hit my limit and asked for the epi. I was 7 cm at that point.

A few more hours went by, I'd progressed to 9 cm and the doc came in to break my water. Unfortunately by then, the epi had quit working on one side, so I felt everything on my right side (OUCH!!). But in only a few minutes after breaking my water, I was completely dilated and was ready to start pushing. It was about 3:45am.

Since little man was already so low, I had hopes that I wouldn't have to push that long... But no such luck! My contractions had never gotten any closer than 6 min apart and Ethan had his head turned the wrong way, so progress was very slow. After 2 hours, they decided to start a little pitocin to get the contractions coming closer together. FINALLY after 3 exhausting hours of pushing, little man arrived. He came out screaming his head off and absolutely perfect! I had a small tear and ended up with a few stitches, but was fine beyond that.

We're both doing great. He was a little jaundice in the beginning and he's had some feeding issues but we're working through them. I absolutely love being his mommy and just looking at him makes all the tears and heartbreak DH and I have been through over the last few years completely worth it!

I want to thank you ladies for all the support and encouragement you've given me, while here on PAL and also on TTCAL. It's meant so much to me! I wish you all well.
Me(30) DH(32) Two angel babies, 5/11/09 (10wks), 6/28/11 (5wks).
Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! - EDD 4/2/12 - Blue Team

mrslee97658 responded:
Congrats Bethann I bet he is just beautiful
Me Ruth(27), DH (43) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(4) 2 m/c 6wk, 9wk, BFP 11/23/10 EDD 8/4/11 Blue Team

hgreenwood7058 responded:
congrats momma.Its amazing being mommy I agree. Little man has latching issues so I have been using a shield but hope to not have to use it eventually when he gets feeding down better. Glad you and little man are doing good.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

jedmonds12 responded:
Congratulations again Beth Ann I'm so happy for you!!! Thanks for sharing the long version!

And I completely agree... it's totally amazing how something so tiny can keep you so busy! Hope to see you on the PAL Grad board!!
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

BridgetBurke responded:
Congrats on your little man, Bethann! I am so glad you get to be a mommy! Enjoy your precious family!

BridgetBurke replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Congrats to you too Heather! He is adorable. I also had to use a shield because of latching problems. I had to go back to work after 10 weeks of maternity leave, so the lactation consultant told me to keep using it. DS took a bottle with expressed milk with no problem from my mom who watches him while I work. I will be doing the same thing this time around. Another bonus: no sore or chapped nipples! It was great! Enjoy your little man.

Mandy_Smiles responded:
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD Late August 2012. Green team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Lisa. I am 26 years old. My husband is 28. We have a daughter who is going to turn 3 in december. I have had 4 M/C in 4 years. And now preg...More

Helpful Tips

How & Why To Trigger A Post
Because we know there are sensitive issues our Members would like to discuss on our communities we have a label called a "Trigger". We want ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 44 found this helpful