Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Story!! (the long version)
bethann88 posted:
Sorry it's taken so long to post this. It's amazing how something so small can keep a person so busy!!

Short: Ethan Daniel was born March 30 at 6.52am, 6lbs 7.7oz and 20.75 inches long.

Long: I woke up Thurs morning (3/29) to contractions. At first I figured they were just the same BHC that I'd been getting for weeks. But by 10am that morning I realized they were getting regular and not going away. I started timing them and they were anywhere from 7-10 min apart. They continued all day, never getting any closer together, but gradually getting stronger. I had been told to wait until they were 3-5 min apart before going to the hospital. But by that evening, they were getting painful enough that I had to breathe through them. So we decided to head on in just to get checked out.

I got to the hospital around 8:30pm. I was 5 cm so they admitted me. I had every intention of getting an epidural, but wanted to hold out as long as I could and felt I was handling the contractions okay at that point. So I held off. DH was great helping me breathe through contractions and I spent a good deal of time on the birthing ball (I highly recommend that!). But around midnight, I'd hit my limit and asked for the epi. I was 7 cm at that point.

A few more hours went by, I'd progressed to 9 cm and the doc came in to break my water. Unfortunately by then, the epi had quit working on one side, so I felt everything on my right side (OUCH!!). But in only a few minutes after breaking my water, I was completely dilated and was ready to start pushing. It was about 3:45am.

Since little man was already so low, I had hopes that I wouldn't have to push that long... But no such luck! My contractions had never gotten any closer than 6 min apart and Ethan had his head turned the wrong way, so progress was very slow. After 2 hours, they decided to start a little pitocin to get the contractions coming closer together. FINALLY after 3 exhausting hours of pushing, little man arrived. He came out screaming his head off and absolutely perfect! I had a small tear and ended up with a few stitches, but was fine beyond that.

We're both doing great. He was a little jaundice in the beginning and he's had some feeding issues but we're working through them. I absolutely love being his mommy and just looking at him makes all the tears and heartbreak DH and I have been through over the last few years completely worth it!

I want to thank you ladies for all the support and encouragement you've given me, while here on PAL and also on TTCAL. It's meant so much to me! I wish you all well.
Me(30) DH(32) Two angel babies, 5/11/09 (10wks), 6/28/11 (5wks).
Surprise BFP 7/22/11!!! - EDD 4/2/12 - Blue Team

mrslee97658 responded:
Congrats Bethann I bet he is just beautiful
Me Ruth(27), DH (43) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(4) 2 m/c 6wk, 9wk, BFP 11/23/10 EDD 8/4/11 Blue Team

hgreenwood7058 responded:
congrats momma.Its amazing being mommy I agree. Little man has latching issues so I have been using a shield but hope to not have to use it eventually when he gets feeding down better. Glad you and little man are doing good.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

jedmonds12 responded:
Congratulations again Beth Ann I'm so happy for you!!! Thanks for sharing the long version!

And I completely agree... it's totally amazing how something so tiny can keep you so busy! Hope to see you on the PAL Grad board!!
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

BridgetBurke responded:
Congrats on your little man, Bethann! I am so glad you get to be a mommy! Enjoy your precious family!

BridgetBurke replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Congrats to you too Heather! He is adorable. I also had to use a shield because of latching problems. I had to go back to work after 10 weeks of maternity leave, so the lactation consultant told me to keep using it. DS took a bottle with expressed milk with no problem from my mom who watches him while I work. I will be doing the same thing this time around. Another bonus: no sore or chapped nipples! It was great! Enjoy your little man.

Mandy_Smiles responded:
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD Late August 2012. Green team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, 31 BF, 26, 8/08 MC 8wks, 02/09 MC 6wks, 2 D&C, 3 furbabies. BFP 5/1/10, EDD 1/6/11.Mason Slade born 1/13/2011 via C-Section!!!

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.