Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My blood pressure was a bit higher today than my 'norm'
Mandy_Smiles posted:
...and I could REALLY tell. Yesterday I noticed that the grocery store pharmacy had a bp machine so I checked it and it was 104/60 which is pretty normal for me. Today I woke up feeling swollen and I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest it was working so hard to work. I tried to take Gwen on a walk but got about 1 block away from home and had to turn around and head back home. I just felt like my heart was working too hard so I decided to let Gwen play while I laid on my left on the couch for awhile in the basement. I ended up going back to the store for the one thing I forgot from the list so I checked my bp again. Today it was 120/68 and I could really feel the difference. I know, 120/68 is not very high, but it is high for me. I hope this is not a sign of things to come!
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD Late August 2012. Green team!

jedmonds12 responded:
Yikes! I hope it was just a fluke. Did you have more sodium than normal yesterday? More salt and less water REALLY affects my BP when pg. I find myself eating healthier than usual just because I seem to be more in tune with my body when pregnant and it's much easier to see how food affects me (and LO). Hopefully you're feeling much better by now!
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

Mandy_Smiles replied to jedmonds12's response:
I have a feeling that I am going to end up with a problem with my BP with this pregnancy. It seems like I am much more swollen and I have been having headaches just about everyday. When I go to the store I always check my BP and it seems a few points higher each time I go. I have been under some stress lately so hopefully once my "stressers" go away, my BP will go down. I have a doctor appointment next week but I will call before the appointment if I have to. Luckily laying on my left helps a lot when I feel it rising. I am thinking about getting a home BP monitor but I am not sure how accurate they are. My DH commented on how it's not just my hands and feet that seem swollen today, my legs look swollen too. Awesome.
Mandy 27, DH 32, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, my beautiful Gweneth Grace entered the world April 4, 2011. Current EDD Late August 2012. Green team!

spartanmommy08 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
I'm not sure if you've had your appointment yet but I'd try to get in sooner. Some of what you're describing sounds like possible early signs of preeclampsia. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but I've been through it. Rising blood pressure, major swelling in legs and hands (I couldn't put my tennis shoes on anymore or wear rings), headaches that are worse than usual. Upper abdominal pain that isn't Braxton Hicks and doesn't go away after a minute is another sign. If you have blurry vision that's also another sign. Your doc will check your urine for protein and blood pressure.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything, but I'd get checked out quickly if possible. If they catch it early enough it could be managed with bed rest.
Me (28), DH (30), DS-PAL Grad (16 months)
3 Angels-2008

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well....my husband and I decided to start our TTC journey in June of 09 and got KU in August 09. We were so excited. We found out we lost our little a...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.