Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctors Appointment Question
MelBrody posted:
Hello ladies, many of you are farther along than me so I have a question. My next appointment is next week - I will be 12w4d by then. I thought they would do another sono but I talked to them today and they said no sono this time they will just listen for the heartbeat on the doppler. I read that it is hard sometimes to hear the heartbeat on those things so I am getting really worked up. I have spent the last 4 weeks eaiting for another look at Junior and now I am seriously bummed... not only do I not get a sono but if they cant hear the heartbeat for whatever reason I am gonna panic. I cant help it, you ladies know the feeling. I am gonna opt out of the one where they do the genetic testing (since I am not high risk and insurance wont cover everything) so maybe the doctor will give me a sono in the office? I will ask her..... What do you ladies think? Any experiances to share?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
The only time they would do a sono is if you do the integrated testing. Or if they had trouble hearing the hb. Try not to get to worked up. I was scared out of my wits on when i had my 1st appt i was 10w2d and they said they wanted to try and there it was. the sound of music to my ears. With the ones in the doctors office you can hear it anywhere from 10-13 weeks for the first time. As long as they don't have super old equipment and as long as your LO is participating (sometimes its a little harder when they are wigglin around too much or located towards the back so it may take them a minute). Just breathe. Easier said then done I know. Hugs
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson Lee born 3/31/12. Love this little man with all my heart

jedmonds12 responded:
Heather is right. They'll only do an u/s at this point if you're doing the genetic testing. Then they'll do an u/s and a blood draw. If you opt out, you likely won't get an u/s until you're closer to 20 weeks, to check the anatomy. If you have a really nice doc, she might wheel in a portable u/s machine to check things out, but I think they'll be able to hear Junior's HB at 12 weeks. Easier said than done, but try to relax!
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

MelBrody replied to jedmonds12's response:
Thanks ladies, what do you guys thing of the genetic testing? I am thinking of opting out but not sure.

jedmonds12 replied to MelBrody's response:
I've had it done both times. My insurance coverage was really good though, and I decided the little bit that I might have to pay was worth getting another look and reassurance that everything was OK, genetically. It's totally a personal decision.
Julie (28) DH (35).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12

BridgetBurke replied to MelBrody's response:
I also did it. I wanted to check on the baby to make sure everything was fine. After 2 m/c's I knew I would be a basket-case if I had to until 20 weeks. The results did not matter for us as far as the genetic diagnosis if that makes any sense. Hope you guys come to a decision that feels right for you.

htots replied to MelBrody's response:
We had them done too. The results didn't matter to us either. Either way our little one is a blessing to us. We decided to because my OB said it would help them determine if I would need a more specific sort of pre-natal care. Like closer observation/baby monitoring, or if C-section would be a safer route...

But I know many people that don't have them done as well!

hgreenwood7058 replied to MelBrody's response:
I did the testing. It didn't matter to me the results. I would just rather know so i could prepare myself and do research so i know if there are special needs and how i could take care of him. And its never 100% but I mainly wanted to see that he was doing okay at the time. If you choose to do it you will need to let them know soon though because they do it usually between 11-13 weeks for the u/s and 1st blood draw then one more blood draw around 15 weeks i think it is. They can do the quad screen when your further along if you choose not to do the integrated testing.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson Lee born 3/31/12. Love this little man with all my heart

cheyenne828 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
I heard the HB with my daughter on the doppler every doc appt starting at 9w. With this one, not so much. Couldn't find it at 9w. Couldn't find it at 13w either, but she whipped out the US and found it right away, then she could find it with the doppler when she narrowed down the location.

Also, I did all testing (serial sequential) this time and last, mostly because of my age.
Pam 38, DH 39 ~ MC 1 7/7/09 ~ MC 2 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10 DD born 3/24/11 ~ Surprise BFP 3/29/12 EED 12/2/12

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jessica, and I am 28 years old. My husband and I have been together for 11 years, married for 4. We have a 3 year old son, Avery Francis, t...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.