Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GBS
htots posted:
Ok so last week I tested positive for Group B Strep. My doctor didn't seem very concerned about it at all. But then of course I start looking it up online. I need to stop that! Has anyone else had it before? I have a list of questions for my doctor on Wednesday since I don't really know anything about it.

Any input would be appreciated!

MtnPrincess responded:
I had it with my last baby, but was negative with my first 2. Basically, we all can have it at some point or another. The problem comes when you're positive during birth. Especially if your waters are ruptured for a prolonged amount of time. It's easily treated with anti-B's in the hospital. Although they'll want you at the hospital in early labor so they can get 2 rounds of anti-B's in you, and so it has time to get to baby before birth.

I had a homebirth with my last, and we treated it with a round of anti-B's when it was discovered (we discovered it early because it was symptomatic [which is really really rare> and she tested for it when I came back neg for a YI or BV), and then from my EDD on I did a garlic clove as a suppository at bed, then swept it out in the morning to kill of any bacteria, and my mw used a product called hibi-cleanse in the water (I did a waterbirth) at the birth. We weren't that concerned though because my water didn't break until 2 pushes before he was born.

This time around, my (new) mw is assuming I'm GBS because I was last time, and she's going to have me do and "immunity protocol" of supplements and tinctures starting at like 39 weeks. Plus I'll do the garlic. I'm kinda annoyed that she's treating me as GBS , but I guess it's safest.

That's my experience with it. HTH!
Kailah(30) DH(30) twin angels 5/06 @10w, angel Selah 3/12 @5w, PAL DD Mika 8/7/07 DS Urijah 10/31/08 DS Ezekiah 8/18/10 Snowflake EDD 12/18/12!! HWVBAC Mama!

htots replied to MtnPrincess's response:
Yes thank you!

teacherbeck responded:
Hi!! Sounds like you probably have already met with your doctor, but in case you are still nervous just wanted to chime in...
I had GBS also, but I knew a good friend who'd had it so it didn't scare me much. My experience was I headed to the hossy in plenty of time and they gave me 2 rounds of antibiotics with an iv (which they give you an iv anyway, so no biggie there!). It was done in plenty of time and I had my daughter a few hours later, perfectly healthy little one
My only concern was getting to the hossy in time to get the ABs. I am hoping to not have to worry with it this time. My good friend who had it only had it with one of her two kiddos.
:)hth!
Becky (31) DH (38) DD (dec 2010) Juliet- she is PERFECT in every way! BFP May 2012 Progesterone 2x/day, due Jan 2013

TRIGS: 1 loss (Jackson, Aug 6th '09), story in profile.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Heather (33) DH (34) m/c 6 wks May 2008, partial molar pregnancy- d&c @12 wks December 2008. BFP September 2009! EDD May 25,2010. Caroline Faith b...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.