Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nervous Introduction
Thamesdh posted:
Hi my name is Diana. I got my BFP on 08/19 and I am going back and forth being excited and really scared. I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 10/2009 and m/c in 05/2010 after 8 weeks. I had just had a dye test done in July with my R/E and found out that I have a uterine septum and a blocked tube. So my husband and I planned to schedule surgery after my next period to try to fix and increase our chances of getting pregnant. So after years of TTC we really didn't worry about getting pregnant in the mean time. Well here is the irony of course. I'm going to go see my regular OB/GYN next week as I know that after reading online the septum increases our risk of m/c. I'm about 5 weeks pregnant as I waited awhile to test because I just didn't think I was pregnant. I feel pretty good other than tender breasts and kind of bloated feeling. But I'm really afraid to get excited about this. I was so excited last time and was so heartbroken afterwards. Any advice?

jedmonds12 responded:
Hi Diana, welcome to the board. I'm sorry for your losses I know how nerve-wracking it can be in the early stages of a pregnancy when you're excited but terrified to let yourself get TOO excited. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with a uterine septum or how it can affect your fertility, but I would personally take it as a good sign that you got pregnant again. Of course, the next 7 or so weeks will be scary, but hopefully you're able to maintain this pg and you'll have a very H&H 9 months. I'm glad you found us.

Are you planning to get any blood work done to monitor your hcg levels? Please KUP on how things are going!
Julie (28) DH (36).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad! DS Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12, Blue Team!

Thamesdh replied to jedmonds12's response:
Thank you very much for the good wishes. I don't know my levels yet but I have an appt next tuesday and I'm sure that we are going to start testing levels then. I'm trying not to stress out too much (easier said than done) and keep a positive outlook. No matter what happens I'm thrilled to have gotten pregnant naturally as we had been talking about IUI after surgery. I've gotten in a lot better shape in the last 6 months which I thinked helped. I'll let you know how things go.

Thamesdh replied to jedmonds12's response:
So I went to my first OB appointment yesterday. We did all the usual including a ultrasound. They weren't able to see too much other than a sack but unsure if they aren't seeing more because it is too soon or septum or something else. They told me that we would know more after I did the HCG test twice. I got the result of the first one which is 25,489. Now we just need to see if when we test tomorrow if it doubles. The waiting and not knowing is the hardest part right now.

jedmonds12 replied to Thamesdh's response:
Diana, that hcg number looks good! For about 6 weeks gestation that's right on track. You can look here, if you want general guidelines for hcg levels during early pregnancy: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

Don't stress about not seeing more than the sac at this point. You could be not quite as far along as you think, or you could just have a slow starter The waiting is HARD. Sending you lots of calming vibes!! Definitely let us know what that second number is when it comes back. Are they planning to do a followup ultrasound, or just waiting to see what the numbers are?
Julie (28) DH (36).
^i^ May 2010
EDD 10/7/12, Blue Team!

MtnPrincess responded:
Hugs! Those #'s do look good and sometimes it can be hard to see baby at 6ish weeks, so try not to worry, even though I know it's hard. Tons and tons of doubling and sticky vibes!
Kailah(30) DH(30) twin angels 5/06 @10w, angel Selah 3/12 @5w, PAL DD Mika 8/7/07 DS Urijah 10/31/08 DS Ezekiah 8/18/10 Snowflake EDD 12/18/12!! HWVBAC Mama!

kj121 replied to Thamesdh's response:
Your #'s look fantastic compared to mine at the same time. Mine was only around 10,000. Welcome to the board, and H&H 9 mo!
Karen (31) DH (31)
DS (6)
3 MC, diagnosed w/ chromosome defect after 2nd MC
EDD 1/21/13, Green team

Thamesdh replied to kj121's response:
So this last week has been very much like a rollercoaster. We got our second quant number back on Friday and it had only gone from the 25,000 number to a little below 31,000. That plus some spotting and our history had my doctor saying that she thought I was probably miscarrying again and that is would probably happen over the long weekend. I went home and kind of prepared myself. Over the weekend, I spotted some more but very on and off and nothing like last time. So Tuesday I called the doctor's office again and explained that this didn't feel like last time and did I need to take the Cytotec like we had to last time. She told me to come in on Wed morning to get another quant and a ultrasound to see if there was anything still in there.
Well I told my husband that he didn't need to miss his meeting and that I could handle everything. I explained everything to the ultrasound tech and just laid there staring at the ceiling. After a couple of minutes of not saying anything she turned on the audio part of the machine and I was shocked to hear a heartbeat. I about fell off the table. She turned the screen toward me and explained that I am apparently pregnant with twins. One twin is not viable and only has a sac. BUT the other twin which was lower looks really good and has a visible heartbeat. Apparently the spotting is from the non-viable twin. I have never gotten to see a heartbeat in my pregnancies and was so in shock I could barely speak. They figure that my numbers had gone up so high so quickly due to it being twins and when one didn't develop that is why the numbers didn't double.
I know that lots of things could still happen and that it is still really early. But I am very hopeful and excited. Thank you so much for all your good thoughts and wishes.

jedmonds12 replied to Thamesdh's response:
That's great!! I mean, not that one of your twins isn't viable, that's sad and I'm very sorry, but... to have one healthy little bean in there with a heartbeat... that's incredible!

When I was on this board with my last pregnancy, the same thing happened to another gal. She actually had triplets and 2 ended up not being viable. She spotted a lot off and on her first trimester but gave birth to a healthy baby boy about a week before my first son was born.

I'm so glad to hear that you have one healthy little baby in there! Congratulations! Wishing you all the best for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby!!
Julie (28) DH (36).
^i^ May 2010
EDD 10/7/12, Blue Team!

codysu replied to Thamesdh's response:
Congrats to you! We experienced the same thing also, we were expecting to get bad news again, and found out we had one viable pregnancy and one embryo that never developed a hb. I'm sorry that one of your twins isn't viable ((hugs)) I know that is hard. But I am so excited that your other one is doing well! The first time you hear the hb is so amazing, isn't it?
IVF 1 Nov-10, m/c at 6wks, IVF2 BFP 11-11-11!Our sweet Hannah was born 8-1-12!

Thamesdh replied to codysu's response:
Update from Nervous Introduction
Well we had another ultrasound this week. This is the third one in a row that we are seeing a healthy baby with healthy HB. Baby B is measuring 9 w 4 d right on schedule with HB of 171.
Doctor says everything looks great and that she is going to be treating this mostly like a regular pregnancy from here on out. I do have to go to the Medical University for a special ultrasound around 18-19 weeks due to the septum instead of the regular one in her office. But other than that everything looks good. Still nervous but very excited. And nauseous and exhausted, but happy to be so.

hgreenwood7058 replied to Thamesdh's response:
Oh thats great news on baby b. I am glad baby b is going good. Heres to continued success with that pregnancy. I am sorry about baby a. Hugs.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson Lee born 3/31/12. Love this little man with all my heart

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Summer and I'm 29 yo. My DH and I have been married for 2 & half years but we will have been together for a total of 13 & half ...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful