Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this true?
HoneyBee287 posted:
I had a miscarriage in March and I just took a test and it came out positive. I'm super excited but extremely scared, I spoke with a lady at my job who informed me that taking a low dose Tylenol everyday in your first trimester will help with carrying the baby. Has anyone ever heard of this theory?

ccornell77 responded:
Hi there and congrats. I have heard of some taking a baby aspirin. However I would not do this without instruction from your MD. Those ladies who are prescribed to do so have a diagnosed clotting disorder. Taking aspirin if you do not have that specific problem could cause a problem. Talk to your doctor! Good luck!
Colleen (35), had 2 mc in 09. my DS's Drew (4) and Isaac (2).

jedmonds12 responded:
I agree with Colleen. Low-dose aspirin is recommended for some women with clotting disorders, but I've never heard of Tylenol being prescribed for anything besides pain.

If you're worried about how things are progressing, call your doctor and ask for betas. They'll do 2 blood draws 48 hours apart to measure the level of hcg in your blood. If the numbers are rising normally, it can give you some reassurance that the pregnancy is progressing normally. However, there is nothing you can do in the early stages of a pregnancy to prevent a miscarriage if there's something wrong with the developing embryo. Crossing my fingers for you that you have a happy and healthy 9 months!
Julie (28) DH (36).
^i^ May 2010
PAL grad! DS Kawika born 4/25/11
EDD 10/7/12, Blue Team!

Laur1981 replied to jedmonds12's response:
Please, discuss this with your doctor. As a nurse (and a currently pregnant mother of two, with PLENTY of miscarriages under my belt) we learn what drugs cross the placenta and affect the embryo/fetus. Asprin is one of them. When the risks outweigh the benefits, then it's time to do something, but under NO circumstances should you take a medication (ESPECIALLY in the first trimester) without a doctors knowledge and approval.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Trigg: 27yrs old married to high school sweetheart we have a 6 year old son who will be seven Nov 2 and my due date now is Nov 23!! I had our baby gir...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.