Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unsure and Confused
jenasci posted:
My fiance and I lost our first baby. About 4 weeks ago, I passed the baby. Within the past week, I have been getting sick to my stomach, my back's been killing me, heartburn, and I can't seem to get enough sleep. About 3 days ago, I took a pregnancy test and it came back positive. I'm not sure if it might be reading the levels from the last pregnancy. Roughly 4 weeks before the baby passed, my levels were at 30. Shouldn't they have gone back to normal by now? So, I don't know if this is just a false positive or if it's the real thing. My fiance and I are trying not to get our hopes up. Could I really get pregnant this quickly after losing the other one? I'm in new territory here. I need some advice or reassurance or something...I just don't want to go through all this again.

vybe77 responded:
jenasci- I'm so sorry for the loss you went through ((hugs))..it is never easy to go through..
As for the positive pregnancy test there is no such thing as a false positive, you can get a false negative but not a positive..
Now, HCG usually doubles every two days and it works the same as it decreases so it should not be leftover HCG from four weeks ago because (and this is just my opinion) that amount of HCG should have been out of your system within a week..
I think that your positive is from a new pregnancy but the best way to confirm this is to see your Dr. and have him take a blood pregnancy test..
Again a home pregnancy test will only become positive if the test detects the necessary hormone level for pregnancy so if your test was positive then it is a good sign of a new pregnancy..
Why not purchase another home test to confirm it again?
Good luck to you and keep us posted

jenasci replied to vybe77's response:
vybe77- I'm sorry to hear about your losses too. My fiance and I talked about getting another home pregnancy test, but we wanted to wait about a week. I might pick one up on the way home though. Just to have it. The last time I was pregnant, I took 5 home tests before talking to my doctor. Though after the mc, I'm thinking about talking to her sooner this time.
My fiance and I are really hoping that this really does mean my pregnant again, but he's scared that we're gonna mc agin. Him and his ex wife had 7 or 8 in the 6 years they were married. He did get 2 beautiful boys, but there was a lot of heartbreak too. If not for me, I don't want him to have to keep going through this.
I'll post here in a few days after taking the next home test and let everyone know what the newest result is.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Eli (32) DH (35) Two kids Tristan (8) and Makenzie (6). One angel in heaven on 2/24/10. My first M/C in a family that hasn't had an M/C in 3 gener...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.