Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HCG Blood testing - difficulty understanding
An_252049 posted:
Let me give some background - My husband and I have a 16 1/2 month old daughter, no complications what so ever getting pregnant, no problems with my pregnancy, full term baby, healthy etc.

However we have been TTC since October, we got pregnant right away but lost the baby at 6 weeks. We waited until we were cleared again and began trying again, the second baby stopped developing at 9 1/2 weeks but I didn't miscarry until 11 1/2. This was followed by a D&C after I passed our child at home. This time I never got a period back after the D&C and found out May 9th from a HPT that I was pregnant again.

My OB ordered two rounds of blood work, the first may 21, and the second May 23. The results from May 21 were 33,338. I called the OB today to get the results of the one from the 23rd and the nurse said my levels had only gone up a little bit, and scheduled a trasnvaginal ultrasound for Sunday at 10:15.

I was under the impression your HCG was supposed to double every 48 hours.. does anyone know what it typically means if yours only goes up a little? I'm fearing the worst at this point.. and really don't want to go through another loss. Any input is appreciate, thank you.

vybe77 responded:
First off I wanted to send you (((hugs))) for your previous losses and I'm sorry to **meet** you under those circumstances..now as for the HCG results here is my opinion...
That 1st result was awesome and the fact that the 2nd one wasn't doubled as OBs would like is a little worrisome but they can only be certain once they check on baby a 3d time either by another HCG blood draw or by US..I hope that by now you have gotten great results from this US (since we are now Monday)..if you can keep me posted!
Good luck and sticky baby vibes sent your way..
Vicky 35 and Chris 33
His and hers family of 4 kids
Mine-DD Emily 12..DS Kody 10
His-DD Rinoa 11
Ours-DS Maxim 4

Spotlight: Member Stories

I started ttcing on 4/10 discovered after 4 months discovered hormonal problem took prednisone got pregnant 10/3/10 on 11/11/10 found out not hearbeat...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful