Skip to content
Birth Story!
babyj1017 posted:
Short version: ITS A BOY!!! Lucas Paul was born on Wednesday December 11th at 7:59pm. He weighed 7 pounds even and was 20.5". So much for the almost 9 pounder they were predicting. He is my smallest baby (though not by much, they were all within 13oz of each other). Took us almost 24 hours to decide on his name.

Long Story: I woke up at 4:45 am on the 11th to some strong but irregular contractions that subsided by about 7am or so. I had an appointment that morning at 9:30. My Bp was 150/90 at the beginning of the appointment. OB (again not my usual OB) checked me and I was still only dilated to 1 cm so she decided to try to strip my membranes, which was incredibly painful and according to her, not entirely successful.

Did another Bp check at the end of the appointment which was 152/98 so I was sent to labor and delivery for monitoring. Almost as soon as I got hooked up to the monitors my Bp stabilized but contractions started about every 5 minutes and were increasingly painful. Baby looked good on the monitors and blood pressure was staying low. I really thought they were going to send me home. But, when my blood work came back, it showed low platelets again (had this to an extreme with my 5 year old). Since I was now at risk for bleeding/hemorrhage, I was admitted.

We did a repeat blood draw and my platelets actually went up to 100k and the anesthesiologist agreed that it was safe to get an epidural (yay). So, we did that and it was smooth sailing after that. Definitely my easiest delivery with the least drama! Took about 9 hours to fully dilate, but I did it on my own, did not end up needing pitocin or anything. I was ready to push right during the nurses shift change, so I had to deal with a ton of pressure while I waited for the new nurse to get her stuff together.

I pushed twice and the nurse was yelling for me to stop and to get the doctor. He was crowning and I had to wait for the OB to get his stuff together. They all seemed to move so slow in the moment lol. Then another 1/2 push later and he was out.

He is absolutely adorable! Long and skinny. He was perfectly pink when he came out and because he came so fast, no cone head at all. Apgars were 9/10..

We came home Friday afternoon and have been adjusting to life at home with three kids! I feel so blessed to finally have my rainbow baby! My older kids just can't get enough of him.
Jenny(32), DH(35) DD(7), DS(5), m/c(5/2012.

ani05 responded:
Congrats Jenny! I am glad you and baby Lucas are doing well. Great name. I am very happy that everything turned out good.
Enjoy your family.
Ani(32),DH(32),DD(7),Furbaby(4).TTC for baby no.2 since 05/2009.BFP on 03/02/2011,M/C on 03/11/2011.BFP on 04/12/2012,M/C on 05/02/2012.BFP 07/26/2013,EDD 04/11/2014.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Thats so awesome and exciting, congrats on baby lucas. He is absolutely adorable . Woohoo for not needing any inducing meds. I think he chose his day to come. No need for inducing this time. I told you I had a feeling you weren't going to make it to due date. Yay for also not having too many complications either. (also if they stripped my membranes my bp prob would have raised to haha- I have heard its not the most comfortable thing). I am so excited and happy for you and your family.
Heather(26),DH Lee(27). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson born 3/31/12. BFP 7/28/13 EDD: 4/9/14

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.