Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Updates
ani05 posted:
Heather,how are you doing? How is Aubrey? Hope everything is going well.
We are doing really well,Alli is growing up so fast.She has her 2 month check up on the 13th,we'll see what the dr says but so far so good.
Ani(32),DH(32),DD(7),Furbaby(4).TTC for baby no.2 since 05/2009.BFP on 03/02/2011,M/C on 03/11/2011.BFP on 04/12/2012,M/C on 05/02/2012.BFP 07/26/2013,DD born on 04/14/2014.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Hi Ani. Hope all is continuing to go well. Aubrey is having problems with reflux. We saw a diferent provider for her 2 mo check up on the 28th. She went from the 8.8% down to the 1st percentile so the provider put her on meds for reflux since she is puking so much that she isn't gaining enough weight. She gave us refills and wanted us to come back in a week to make sure she was starting to gain better. (she had only gained 1.5# since birth but did gain almost 3" in height). We had a follow up weight check last thursday and she gained 6oz in 7 days so that was a lot better but she saw her regular ped instead of the other one (which was a locum so her last day was that friday boo). Her ped is talking about already taking her off of the med after this thursday. I am not a fan of the idea because it will have barely been two weeks. I could see doing it for a month and then slowly weaning her off of it and see what happens but not after two weeks especially when she is still in the 1st percentile. He basically just said all babies spit up and have reflux (umm no not all babies have reflux). Usually I am fine with this provider and like that he isn't huge on doing meds for things like colds and I would be okay with not doing the meds if it was mild reflux and she was gaining weight appropriately. But she hasnt been. Both the other dr and the med student both said she would be on it for a little bit,only to have this provider say the complete opposite. I am considering finding another provider if I feel like he isn't listening. He also said that because she isn't struggling to breath and as good color that the reflux is okay.... really you want her to be blue before you do anything.. Which is kind of funny since he was the one that had me go see the lc nurse because she wasn't back to birth weight at two weeks. Even though she had gained a good amount from the time she was discharged from the hospital. So its kind of odd to me. (she was 7#1oz at birth, 8#9oz at her two month check and 8#15oz last thursday. Hoping she gains good this week too. She has another wt check thursday. I think depending on how it goes, I may switch providers)

Otherwise things are going good. I started back to work when Aubrey was 9 weeks old (she will be 11 weeks tomorrow). BF'ing is still going really well. I pump 4x a day and ebf when I am with her. She only gets a bottle when she is at her sitters. I have actually been donating milk to mommies in need. After I donate to a mommy today I will have already donating 1500oz. And still have about 500-600oz in my freezer. Brother loves to love on her. Sometimes too much haha. We adopted two dogs. (DH idea not mine...). I have lost about 28.5lb out of the 50lb I gained. Thats about it.
Heather(26),DH Lee(27). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson born 3/31/12. BFP 7/28/13 EDD: 4/9/14

ani05 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Hey Heather! Sorry about Aubrey having reflux but I am glad she is doing better with the meds. I am with you,if she is improving ,why stop the meds. I would see another Dr if you don't like the one you are seeing now. I am taking my girls to a new pediatrician b/c I didn't like the old one.
Also,did you get your breastmilk tested? Sometimes the baby's stomach doesn't agree with the mother's milk. It happened to my cousin,when she was a baby she would puke everytime she got nursed.
We are doing well,on friday will know how much Alli weighs.
Keep me posted how Aubrey's wt check goes on thursday.
Ani(32),DH(32),DD(7),Furbaby(4).TTC for baby no.2 since 05/2009.BFP on 03/02/2011,M/C on 03/11/2011.BFP on 04/12/2012,M/C on 05/02/2012.BFP 07/26/2013,DD born on 04/14/2014.

hgreenwood7058 replied to ani05's response:
we didn't get milk tested. a lot of the time its not the bm but something mom is eating/drinking, or over supply. In our case she eats fine just pukes and spits up too much causing lack of weight gain. Since starting meds two weeks ago she has gained really good. She gained 6oz the first week and another 5oz this week, so 11oz in two weeks as opposed to 19oz in 6 weeks. She is now in the second percentile. She is a lot less cranky now to. I am still considering switching her ped. We had a much better appointment today and after talking to the med student about not being comfortable with the idea of stopping the meds so soon and abruptly especially with the amount of improvement shes had since being on the meds, he talked with the ped about it and the ped told me it was reasonable to keep her on it until her 4 mo check up and then he would like to cut the dose in half and then stop it after that and see how she does. He is no longer concerned about the lack of weight gain since she gained good the last two visits since starting the meds. So I am a lot more comfortable with this plan. I feel like I was actually heard this time. I let them know about the food diary (we keep record of how often she eats as well as how much she gets in a bm bottle while at the sitters and how it doesn't make a difference how much she eats. she can eat an ounce and puke pretty much all of it up and then eat 3oz and barely spit up). Before this appt I had every intention on switching. I am now debating. I am glad he finally listened though. We don't need to go back until her 4 month appt either way (around 7/25).

Good luck on her appt tomorrow!
Heather(26),DH Lee(27). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. Carson born 3/31/12. BFP 7/28/13 EDD: 4/9/14

bethann88 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Oh Heather, I'm sorry DD is having reflux issues. DS was a puker, but his didn't start until he started solid food (think it was a texture issue). His doc was very unhelpful too, so understand that frustration. I ended up switching doctors within the same practice and I love his doc now. Glad they're willing to work with you a little on keeping her on the meds. It's hard seeing your baby puking all the time and clinging to the bottom of the growth chart.

But, I am happy to hear she is nursing so well! I know with DS you really struggled with that.
Me(32) DH(34), PAL Grad, DS born 3/2012. Four angels, 5/2009, 6/2011, 2/2014 and 3/2014

hgreenwood7058 replied to bethann88's response:
Thanks Beth. Yes its been hard to watch. Carson was a puker too but not to the extent of it coming out his nose or struggling to breath while trying to sleep from the reflux at times like it is with Aubrey. I have an older brother and younger sister who passed away from SIDS so it freaks me out a bit with the struggling to breath. She sleeps next to me in her rock n play and I sleep very lightly. Carson would not latch other than with a shield and even then it was a fight. I didn't have the knowledge or support by professionals like I needed back then either. I ended up pumping exclusively with him for 18 months though so i am happy with that. A lot of the doctors and nurses that I tell that too are amazed at how long I did it for because so many stop relatively quickly if they have to pump. This time it started out similar, Aubrey would latch onto one side but it was a bad latch and caused pain pretty quickly. She would not latch the other side at all. And when my milk came in i was so engorged and swollen that she wouldn't latch to either side. I continued to push through it and I asked for help (both by the special care nurses and specifically asked for a lactation nurse to come see me). They showed me reverse pressure and the difference between comfort sucking and actually eating and that made all the difference in my opinion. She eats great now. So far I am even successfully working full time, pumping twice at work and twice at home and bf'ing her when shes with me without issues. Makes me happy that I am a lot more successful w bf and its so much easier than warming a bm bottle.

ani05 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Heather I am glad she is doing much better and that the Dr. listened to you. That's so great that bf is going well too,I agree with you,so much easier that warming up bottles and washing them.
We went for Alli's 2 month old check up,she had her vaccines done. She is doing well so far, she weighs 11 lbs 4oz and 22 1/4 inches long. Bf is going well,she gets a little fussy in the evenings but the Dr said to try gripe water so we'll see if that will make a difference.

hgreenwood7058 replied to ani05's response:
yay for good appointment. She is almost 2lb heavier than aubrey now. Hopefully now that Aubrey is puking a lot less she will start gaining a lot better. She has already shown a good improvment. Aubrey is about the same height as well. We did gripe water for about 3-4 weeks. I only gave it to her about 20min before I knew she would have an episode. She used to start sreamnig and crying sometime between 7:15-7:30pm and it would last anywhere from 30min-2 hr. If I gave her the gripe water, it would last less time or not happen at all. Took a few doses to get there though. I am glad bf'ing is going well for you as well

bethann88 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Oh my Heather, that would scare any mother to see your baby struggling to breathe that! Glad the meds are helping your baby girl. That's really great you were able to get help with BF this time. Knowing what I know now, there's lots of things I would've done differently when getting DS established w/ BF. Maybe now that I (kinda) know what I'm doing, hopefully the next time it won't be such a struggle in the beginning. Good for you for sticking with it and not giving up.

Ani, sounds like your little one's doing well too. Keep up the good work mama
Me(32) DH(34), PAL Grad, DS born 3/2012. Four angels, 5/2009, 6/2011, 2/2014 and 3/2014, BFP 6/13/14

Spotlight: Member Stories

Started Trying to conceive our first in Oct 08, We got great news in May 09 only to have a find out we had a missed M/C in June at 10wks. We went for ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.