Skip to content
HCG levels and vanishing twin
fjjane2 posted:
Help I am about 7 wks now and my HCG levels started at 6500 at about 5 1/2 weeks then 4 days later went to 15000-the doctor said this wasn't good plus I had some bleeding at 6 weeks. I went for an ultrasound at 6 weeks and it showed a 6 wk sack and yoke but no heart plus what the tech said was a smaller really underdeveloped sack. A day and a half later HCG only went to 16000 and my doctor said to prepare for a D/C-I get my final ultrasound Monday. This will be my 4th mc and I am 41-is there any hope?? I also have 2 beautiful kids but I am sad. Would a vanishing twin mess with the HCG??

ksmommy27 responded:
Yes, A vanishing twin can make the HCG go up and down. I wouldnt count yourself out yet. Just hang in there and wait and see what the u/s says. And your number is going up so thats a good sign in itself. I belive that after a certian period the numbers will plateau and will double every 72-96 hrs. I know its hard but hang in there and stay + about the whole thing.

fjjane2 responded:
thanks My doc said even if they saw a heart it problably wont be a good pregnancy because of the HCG levels. Plus i am spotting brown and this happened with one of my miscarriages-but I can't help but hold out hope.

ksmommy27 responded:
HCG levels dont mean everything. I had a scare in the begining with mine and Im doing well and have seen the baby on u.s 2 times now. Im 9 weeks now. Just hang in there and trust that no matter what happens it was meant to happen. I know thats hard but its so true. Ive had 5 losses and I hated each one of them but it got me to where I am now. Good Luck and make sure you post an update so we know how you are doing.

gina0908 responded:
I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks with my pregnancy and they diidn't see the heartbeat. Since they have seen and I have heard it all the time!! I rented a doppler. Stay hopeful!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Kristi (27) Joshua (34) Our Daughter, Michal Lynn Rhodes, Born Into Heaven July 6th, 2006, Born Sleeping July 9th, 2006 at 38 weeks after 47 hours of ...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.