Skip to content
We have decided to find out!!! ...Gulp!... TRIGGERS!
Mandy_Smiles posted:
Triggers!!! I apologize in advance for such a long post!

Some of you have been on here with me for several months and you know how hard these past few months have been. First getting past the 13 week point, then getting past the EDD, then all of the pressure from family, etc... It has been an emotional struggle to say the least. Last Sunday was our EDD with our first LO and it was tough. I think it was the 28th when I officially had my breakdown. I tried to make myself relax and I just ended up crying hysterically in the tub then in bed, and my DH found me in bed and we cried together for awhile. On the 30th after I got off work I was thinking about how I wished that I didn't have the 31st off work so that I could just try and ignore the day and work through it. Then it happened. The evening of the 30th I felt the strongest movement I have ever felt before. It felt like the baby was trying to kick it's way out of my stomach! It was so strong it scared me so much I clenched my belly and squealed! I have never felt anything like it! My DH FREAKED by my reaction! He thought something was wrong. It was exactly what I needed at that EXACT moment. The baby reminded me where I should be focusing my energy. It was the first time I knew for a fact that it was the baby moving and not gas or something else. It was such a strong movement! I think that small simple moment truly changed my life. I know it sounds crazy. I have been feeling small movement since about 13 weeks but I felt like the baby was trying to tell me something by kicking me at that exact moment when it seemed like the world was crashing all around me.

We haven't been sure if we wanted to find out the gender of the baby because I was deathly afraid of becoming more attached to this pregnancy, just in case. I know this all sounds crazy, I am 20 weeks, far past the point of our loss. The doctor told us at our last visit that I am the definition of a perfect pregnancy. The baby's second tri testing came back with great results, my blood pressure hasn't budged a bit, I have gained exactly what the doctor wanted me to, my uterus is measuring perfectly, etc... She says the perfect pregnancy, and I feel crazy for continuing to keep my guard up and try to not get too attached because I am worried something will go wrong. Well, we have decided to find out if we are having a boy or a girl! This was not an easy decision for us to make. I can't really even explain what made it so hard, but it was difficult for us. Since the words came out of my mouth, "I want to know"... I feel like someone lifted the weight of the world off my shoulders. We will be finding out Monday evening. We plan to have the ultrasound tech write down the gender in a blank greeting card and we will open it together that night when we go out to dinner. We like the idea of finding out like that, just the two of us in a romantic environment. I know, it's silly but we are very excited about opening the envelope later rather than her just blurting it out in the doctors office while I am exposed on the table with goop all over me. So wish us luck, hopefully the baby's legs will be spread WIDE open and will let the ultrasound tech get a really good look! LOL! :) Things are looking up! Thanks for all of the support these last few months, it really means a lot to me to have this message board with such supportive women! Each and every one of you are so amazing! My DH calls it my "secret society"! Thanks for being my secret society! :)

What do you think? Boy or Girl?
  • I had really bad M/S from 6 - 11 weeks
  • My nails and hair are growing long and strong
  • I am craving sweets, Cherry Icee's in particular :)
  • You can see from my picture how I am carrying, it feels high
  • We conceived in June and I was/am 26 at the time of conception
I will let you know Monday night!
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11, Greenish-yellow team (undecided)

Take the Poll

What do you think? BOY or GIRL?
  • GIRL
  • BOY
vote
View Poll Results

shanastash responded:
i am sooo happy for you that you were able to really truly feel your baby kick...especially when you needed to feel it the most! i started crying i was so happy for you! hehe! HOW AWESOME!!! and i am sooo excited that you wanna know...i only know from my own personal feeling...it just makes it more real! i am sure for the peeps on the yellow team, it's all real to them too, but i don't know...

i am sooo happy for you! i thought tons about you during last weekend and i am releaved knowing that it was spent just the way you needed it to be. tears and then joy! weird how that works out huh?!
Shana-27, Darrin-29, angel baby (fishie-14w5d) found out @ 17wks. Dx: MTHFR and FV Leiden. BFP 3.12.10 EDD 11.20.10 PINK TEAM!!! Rx: Lovenox 40 mg, baby asprin, 1000 mcg folic acid, AND PRAYERS!

dino44 responded:
I am so glad you are feeling better. What a good baby, giving Mommy the little kick you needed to perk you up! I can't wait to find out what you are having. I agree with PP (even though I am on the yellow team haha!), it will help make things seem more real to you. I think the way you are planning on sharing the card is so sweet. It will be such an exciting moment, and you will have a great addition for your baby book. I hope Baby cooperates and shows the tech!
Me: Tabatha (28), DH: Paul (29), Angel Baby @ 13 weeks, PAL graduate!!!: Emma 4/3/09, PAL 2: BFP 4/24 keeping our fingers crossed for another Graduate. EDD 12/31/10! Saw hb on 5/17! YELLOW TEAM!

cheyenne828 replied to dino44's response:
That's such a great story! I am very happy for you that you are finally getting in the groove. I'm not even going to guess...it doesn't matter what it is! LOL. It will be great no matter what. Oh and beautiful picture of you by the way.

Good luck and KUP!
Pam 37, DH 37 ~ TTC 1 ~ BFP 5/29/09, MC 7/7/09 ~ BFP 12/14/09, early MC 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10, EDD 4/2/11, yellow team

MNHall responded:
Awwww! I LOVE that you will have it written on a note card and then share opening it at a dinner with just the two of you! That is going to be sooo special! I look forward to hearing all about it!

I don't know if this is part of it for you, but I know for me, I feel a very special bond with my babies knowing their sex before birth. I know it's not like that for each, but I decided I wanted to know because I like the idea of knowing an extra piece about my baby.

Your symptoms have me torn, the m/s and craving sweets screams girl to me, but the nail and hair growing so well screams boy! LOL! I know, all OWT's, but those are true ones for me! :) Anyway, so I said girl since that was 2 out of 3!

I hope you have a wonderful u/s and a super special dinner with your DH!
Shelley (30), DH (30), DS (05/07 - 3 yrs), DD (02/09 - 1 yr) - Both PAL Grads!! 2 m/c's (06/06 and 04/08) - EDD 11/29/10!!!!

TeacherBeck responded:
Yay! Finding out was so fun and did help me connect. I hope it all goes perfectly (baby cooperates etc).
I know what you mean about feeling those strong movements. They really cemented the fact that I was HAVING A BABY!! And that it really was going well and going to be OK.
Have tons of fun tomorrow!
Becky (30) DH (36) BFP April '10; Juliet Christine is due Dec 27th 2010!Praying every day for my precious LO!! TRIGS 1 loss (Jackson, Aug 6th '09). Story in profile.

risdiane responded:
Lurking...
I think its great you guys made the decision to find out. For me it dramatically helped me bond to my LO knowing he was a boy. I also like your plan to find out later with the two of you. We found out at the MFM's office and although they were super nice they are very clinical and I wished it had been more fun - like my OB makes it, plus no one knew I was pregnant yet so we didnt have the excitement of calling everyone and announcing... I hope this is a great experience for you and LO cooperates. Your plan will make it special for you guys.
Have fun, and get ready to shop!
Also, I say girl, but I have been thinking girl for everyone lately...
Cris, 31 DH 31 - Ectopic 10/08, m/c 09/09 at 16 weeks unknown cause 1/14 BFP, Due 9/23 its a boy!

RachelNuke responded:
oooohhhh. So exciting. I'm so happy you decided to find out the gender, and what a cute, creative way of doing it :) I voted GIRL, along with the other 80% of us :)

Maybe finding out the LOs gender will help you get over some of the fears and get a little more excited. And if not, we are all here for you :)

Will be waiting with my fingers crossed for your post :)
Me 28, DH 27, MC 11/08, BFP 9/11/10, EDD 5/21/11 Green Team HR 10/07/10 148bpm; HR 10/28/10 140bpm

jedmonds12 responded:
Ohh Mandy I'm so excited for you!! I know you've been having such a hard time letting your guard down with this baby and how difficult it's been as your previous LO's DD approached. I'm so, so happy that baby has already bonded with YOU, giving you a little what-for when you needed it :)

Your plan of learning the gender together is very sweet. I love it! For the record, I voted "girl" because of the way you're carrying and your m/s, since we're having a boy and I'm carrying low and had almost no m/s.

On a side note, I think finding out the gender helps both parents feel more connected to the baby. After DF found out we were having a boy, he's been much more into the pg. He rubs my tummy when he thinks I'm asleep :) Best wishes to you and your DH!! I think you made a very good (and very strong) decision.
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11

Starla_94 replied to jedmonds12's response:
Liek you julie with DS my DH didn't get connected as much till after we knew it was a boy even though he wanted a girl..LOLOL

(only to torture her boyfriends.. Nice i know!)

Anyway Mandy Congrats.. perhaps this decision was bugging you more then you knew!!! but so glad you came to one and are happy with it and i TOTALLY love your idea for revealing the sex.. just remember to look away whtn the tech is peaking.. LOLOL i know that would be SO hard for me causei love to watch every second of bean on the screen!! :)

and don't worry you don't need to explain your actions to anyone us here know better then anyone we do things just because sometimes and there doesn't have to be a reason or the reason might only make sence to you and no one else :) hehehe :)
Christina (34) DH (38)- 1 D/S Oct-2003, M/C April 2010, M/C June 2010 (twins) BFP on 8/15/2010 ~ GreeBean - hoping for a girl! EDD 4/28/2011

Mandy_Smiles responded:
Thank you everyone for the responses and the support! It's a girl!!! The poll results were right! To see details about the ultrasound look at the discussion I just created. She was punching me during the ultrasound! It was so cute! I am glad that we decided to find out, it has helped make it a little more real for us. I completely understand why you yellow teamers would like to wait though, it would have been an amazing moment for the doctor to yell "It's a girl!" after delivery. I think we made the right decision for us, I think just simply being able to say 'she' and 'her' when talking about her will help us with getting more excited and less scared all the time?... Yay for pink and purple, sugar and spice! :) Oh my gosh my MIL is going to pee her pants with excitement! LOL!
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11, Greenish-yellow team (undecided)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (25) and have a DD(8) DS(7) and another DS age (5). They are from a previous marriage and my ex husband whom I met when i was 15 years old. They we...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.