Skip to content
Doppler Question
risdiane posted:
Lurking need some info....

I just loaned my doppler to a friend and I can not remember when you 'should' be able to hear a heartbeat with it. Also, she is a bit larger so if I remember correctly that can impact when? I think I found it around 9 weeks, but she has had two losses and I dont want to tell her to use it until there is a good chance she will find the heartbeat KWIM?

Can anyone help me out on this? When were you able to find the heart beat and if your are plus sized does it impact it?

TIA
Cris, 31 DH 31 - Ectopic 10/08, m/c 09/09 at 16 weeks unknown cause
1/14 BFP, Due 9/23 its a boy!  

teacherbeck responded:
not plus sized but I def have extra padding on my tummy

We were NOT able to hear with doppler at the 8 wk appt with Jackson but she found it quickly at the 12 wk. This time I think we saw/heard it earlier w/ the u/s and the 11 wk appt we heard it w/doppler.
HTH
Becky (30) DH (37) BFP April '10; It's a girl! Juliet Christine is due Dec 27th 2010! Praying every day for my precious LO! TRIGS 1 loss (Jackson, Aug 6th '09); story in profile.

MommaSampson responded:
I purchased a doppler and I'm plus size and I heard the hb around 10 weeks maybe a few days. It was faint but I could hear it. I'm 11 weeks now and can hear it pretty loudly.
I'm 26 and DH is 29. We have two little girls, 6

Mandy_Smiles responded:
I am not plus size but I was able to hear the HB at 9 or 10 weeks. At first I couldn't find it everytime I tried and I didn't learn until a few weeks later that it helps significantly if the bladder is completely full and pushing up the uterus. Be sure to inform your friend about this tip, I wish I had found out about it sooner. Unfortunately I did have some sleepless nights when I couldn't find it. How far along is your friend?
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11, Pink team! :)

MSettle78 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
I did NOT know you can purchase this ! how much are they and where do you get them ?

agbdiva replied to MSettle78's response:
I got mine on Ebay for $70. I got a Sonoline 3MHZ. It works well.
Me (41) DH(48) I will be induced sometime the 1st week of January 2011 We're on the Pink Team! M/C 6/08(unknown) M/C 8/09(trisomy 15)

Mandy_Smiles replied to MSettle78's response:
Mine is a Sonotrax lite with the 3mhz probe and I bought it from www.clinicalguard.com . I have seen a few women on this board have purchased theirs on ebay. I paid a little more to get a new one. My doppler has calmed my nerves on some really tough days. If you decide to get a doppler, be sure to have a full bladder when you try using it. When I first got my doppler I wasn't aware that a full bladder will help push the uterus upward. Also, I recommend talking with your doctor about it before you get one. My doctor thought it would be a good idea for me to get one since I have such high anxiety about something going wrong. She approved of the one I got, she wanted to make sure it was FDA approved. I didn't want to do anything that my doctor wasn't comfortable with.
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gwenyth Grace :)

RachelNuke replied to MSettle78's response:
I got mine on Ebay for $30 it is a Sonoline or Sonotrax (can't remember) 3MHz pocket doppler, there is no display screen or speaker, and there is not a separate probe (it is built in). It has headphones and you can hook your computer speakers up to it. It works just fine and doesn't break the bank. I love it, I use it once a week.
Me 29, DH 27, MC 11/08, BFP 9/11/10, EDD 5/21/11 Green Team, should know 12/23!

MSettle78 replied to RachelNuke's response:
I looked online and I found a website called heartones where you can rent it for $40 all the ones I looked at to buy were really expensive . I guess I need to look more im trying to find one where I can use it only being 10 weeks

RachelNuke replied to MSettle78's response:
The one I got on Ebay was brand new in the box, and any one that is 3MHz should be strong enough for you at 10 weeks. I was 10w5d when I got mine. My suggestion is to find one on the website that you like, then see if they have it on Ebay...that way you save a bundle.
Me 29, DH 27, MC 11/08, BFP 9/11/10, EDD 5/21/11 Green Team, should know 12/23!

MSettle78 replied to RachelNuke's response:
Thanks I am going to try that

Spotlight: Member Stories

Trigg: 27yrs old married to high school sweetheart we have a 6 year old son who will be seven Nov 2 and my due date now is Nov 23!! I had our baby gir...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.