Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone planning to prepare meals for later?
Mandy_Smiles posted:
What meals do you ladies plan to prepare and freeze to eat after you have your LO's?
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gweneth Grace :)

cutenshort13 responded:
I have chicken noodle soup, spaghetti sauce, taco meet and some pork chops and gravy frozen right now.
Sami (me)(21) DH (20) Rylie Taylor BFP 11/1/09 m/c 11/7/09. Two fur babies one palm mix and a hunting dog. BFP 6/15/10 EDD 2/24/11 PINK TEAM!!!

NCOArmyWife responded:
I can't do anything since we're still living in a hotel at the moment. But even if the Army gets us into a house before the baby arrives, I probably won't do any extra cooking. DH loves to cook, so I'll leave it up to him for the first week or so :D
Susan-27 DH-27, Layla-5 1/2, Carissa-4. M/C's: Jami 1/19/04, Leigh 10/2/08, Alex 12/8/08, Sam 1/23/09. BFP July 3 EDD 3-15-11 BLUE TEAM! Gabriel Michael

cheyenne828 replied to NCOArmyWife's response:
Prolly not a lot. Hubby and I are used to eating on the fly anyway, so this won't be much different. What I am looking forward to is cooking more wholesome meals once I get settled on maternity leave.
Pam 37, DH 37 ~ TTC 1 ~ BFP 5/29/09, MC 7/7/09 ~ BFP 12/14/09, early MC 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10, EDD 4/2/11, yellow team

Dylansmom04 responded:
Our baby should be here in the next week so I bought the only things DH could cook plus a few things that would be easy for me to help with...unfortunately, its not very healthy stuff and not the hearty meals that I usually cook! But I did buy some stuff that DH can easily throw in the crock pot...When in doubt, there is always cereal and sandwiches! lol
Ashley 26 Chris 33 DS 6, m/c 12/2006 at 11w 2d, m/c 2/2007 at 5w, m/c 12/2009 at 10w 4d, m/c 3/2010 at 5 week. BFP June 24th, EDD March 4th, 2010 BLUE TEAM

TeacherBeck responded:
Grad lurking :)

I froze about 8 servings of soup; DH & his family love to eat out but I can only handle so much fast food so the soup was for ME :)
I also stocked up on canned veggies, soup, cereal, granola bars, etc so i had lots of quick options. I meant to cook & freeze more stuff but baby came a little early.

BTW, I was not prepared for how STARVING I was from breastfeeding. I was way more hungry BFing than I ever was when I was preggo! So I was really glad for the granola bars & nuts & stuff I could grab and eat when I was up at 12 am , 3 am, 6 am.... lol
Becky (30) DH (37) One brand-new LO, Juliet Christine came Dec 10th (EDD was 12/27), and she is PERFECT! TRIGS: 1 loss (Jackson, Aug 6th '09), story in profile.

jedmonds12 replied to TeacherBeck's response:
Ooh, good point Becky, I didn't really think about being hungry while BF'ing. I usually try to keep the quick, shove-in-your-face stuff out of the house because if it's there, that's all DF will eat. I guess I'll have to look for some healthy options that I can stuff in my face if I need to eat in the middle of the night. Nuts are a good one!
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11

earleyml1012 responded:
I have a long ways to go before I start doing this but I wanted to add my two cents from experience.

If you are involved in a church, I'd reccomend seeing if your church offers setting up a schedule for people from your church to bring you meals for the first 2-3 weeks. My church does this for every new mom and it's a huge help!! Those first weeks are the most tiring, so not worrying about making dinner was great. Plus most people bring enough that I had food for lunch that I just re-heated.

I would suggest snacks b/c like the PP stated breastfeeding takes a lot of nutrients out of you so you are starving. I was only able to BF DD for the first 3 weeks, but I remember snacking everytime I was feeding her. My favorite was these square pretzels with peanut butter filling! YUM!! Also, remember to drink a TON of water!!! The pretzels helped with that b/c they made me thirsty.

Good luck to anyone who is having their baby soon! :c)

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to earleyml1012's response:
Good point on the church help with meals! I used to be in charge of the meal planning for our church and I know how much it was appreciated. Plus, people really just like helping out. :)

I did lots of prep-cooking when I was pregnant. We did a lot of casseroles at my house, so I just prepared the whole casserole, but I lined the oblong dish with aluminum foil before putting adding all the ingredients. Then, I'd freeze it and take it out in one nice lift, and wrap it up better in more foil and/or ziplocks.

All I had to do when it was time to cook was thaw & bake. Easy!! A few favorites to freeze:

• Tater Tot Casserole
  • Enchiladas (Go light on the spices if you're nursing)
  • Lasagna
  • Chicken Broccoli Casserole (Just need to make rice on the side)
~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Heather and I am 28 and DH (Rick) is 37. We have been TTC over 2 years. I had an early loss in Feb of 09. Baby was only 5 weeks and shou...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.