Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hungry Hump Day: Make Ahead Meals
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello Mommies!

I've been trying to switch up our Hungry Hump Day posts to give us more ideas and maybe a few recipes. This week I read a post from Mandy_Smiles that asked about preparing and freezing meals for after the birth of your LO's.

The last thing most new moms want to think about those first few weeks after delivery are meal planning and cooking! Mandy's post has some helpful tips, but it would be great to put together a list of meals that could be prepared ahead of time for everyone to pull from.

Please share any meals that you've used or any tips you have for meal planning on those upcoming and exciting days right after delivery!
~Andie

Mandy_Smiles responded:
So far I have made and frozen ham and beans, lasagna, and boiled shredded chicken to make quick meals. I plan to also make chili and meatloaf. I am running out of freezer space so that will probably be all that I make. I would love to hear more suggestions, maily the meat/main course suggestions because sides are pretty easy to prepare. Now that I am starting to progress I am realizing that I need to finish up my cooking sooner rather than later. The last thing I want to do is gain weight after I have her due to only eating fast food or boxed food because that's about all that DH know's how to make. Andie, you actually gave me the idea to make and freeze the shredded chicken a few months ago in one of your posts. Thanks again for the suggestion, I know it will work out really well for some really quick tacos or something like that. :)
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gweneth Grace :)

TeacherBeck responded:
I made soup, portioned it out into baggies, and froze them. You can google to find out which kinds freeze well; I tried a recipe from a friend: Basically you cook black eyed peas, then drain them, and add chicken broth and chopped kale (had never had it before but it is like spinich). Next time I make it I will add some celery or something too.
I also made a Dorito Chicken casserole (DH LOVES it) and did the freezer trick Andie mentioned... lined the dish w/foil and once it was frozen lifted it from the dish and wrapped it well so it took up less space and my dishes weren't all in the freezer. For Dorito chicken, I cooked chicken breast in cream of chicken soup in the crock pot; when done add velveeta and a can of Rotel and cook until melted. Put some crushed up Doritos in the bottom of a casserole dish; cover with the mixture. Freeze. When you are ready to eat it, add crushed Doritos to the top and cook it at 300-350 until hot. You can change it up by NOT lining the bottom with Doritos, using more chicken, using less cheese, or whatever. It's an easy recipe to play with.
Its really nice to also have your pantry STOCKED. I am a couponer and had TONS of extra toilet tissue, paper towels, toothpaste, deoderant, and food stuff like cereal, canned veggies, canned soups, peanut butter, etc. I did not go to the grocery for a MONTH after Juliet was born and I was so so glad we had all that stuff and I didn't have to worry about anything. I tell DH its not like we are going to stop eating, brushing our teeth, or using TP so when it's on a rock-bottom sale I may as well buy a bunch of it :)
Becky (30) DH (37) One brand-new LO, Juliet Christine came Dec 10th (EDD was 12/27), and she is PERFECT! TRIGS: 1 loss (Jackson, Aug 6th '09), story in profile.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to TeacherBeck's response:
OMG!! Becky that Dorito Chicken Casserole sounds absolutely delicious! I love casseroles, and our family survived on them for years. They're cheap and by masking veggies, the kids will eat them! LOL

Yup, the foil idea was to free up my dishes, too. Good idea with the bagged soup. I bet if you lay it flat when it's freezing (make sure you have a tight seal!) that it would stack nicely and save room in the freezer, huh?

Mandy, so glad my shredded chicken idea came in handy. I do the same thing with hamburger too. Brown it with some onions (we LOVE onions in our family), separate, and freeze.

PS, Becky...I'm a coupon lady, too! Love walking out paying like 20% of the shelf prices!
~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a 2 year old girl and a baby boy on the way (EDD 10/24/10). I have a misscarrage at 8 weeks, It happened a few days after my daughter's fir...More

Helpful Tips

Afterpains suggestion
A L&D nurse mommy blogger suggested this to me, and I think it's brilliant, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.