Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to spell her name
Mandy_Smiles posted:
It was easy for us to decide what to name her but it has been so difficult to decide how to spell it. We know that we want to call her Gwen but we also want her to have a more formal name, Gweneth or Gwenyth. My actual name is Mandy, not Amanda and my whole life I wish I had both options depending on the setting. An example, in an interview or sitting down with a client (back before I was laid off) I wished that my name was Amanda so that I woud appear more professional. So, since I have longed for a more formal name on many occasions, I want my children to have more options than I have had.

We have agreed that we do not want to name her Gwyneth with the Y before the N. We have had Gwen in our heads for so long, we don't want to change the spelling of her name to shorten it. So, the big question is Gweneth or Gwenyth??? Just when we think we have it figured out, we realize that we really don't. Also, back when I was working, I remember typing both names into a Word document and it underlined Gwenyth with a Y in red and told me to spell it Gweneth with an E. I don't think I want her to be told her whole life that her name is spelled wrong everytime she goes to do homework or something. But on the other hand, I think Gwenyth with a Y looks more elegant. My oh my, we have to figure this out soon! AAAHHH!!!
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gweneth Grace :)

Take the Poll

Which spelling do you prefer?
  • Gweneth
  • Gwenyth
  • I like them both equally
vote
View Poll Results

cheyenne828 responded:
Hello. I think if you spell it with a Y in the second position, you are setting her up for a life of other people mis-spelling it the Gwyneth way....IMO. HTH!!

Pam
Pam 37, DH 37 ~ TTC 1 ~ BFP 5/29/09, MC 7/7/09 ~ BFP 12/14/09, early MC 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10, EDD 4/2/11, yellow team

alb7585 responded:
I think people just refuse to spell names right in general. But ... I spelled DS's name Alexzander (he goes by Alex) and its NEVER right. We had to reorder insurance cards at least 3 times. His birth certificate was right and his social security card was wrong ... the things only the government will do. This baby is Abigayle (Abby for short) ... and we will see what happens. So don't let the fear of people mispelling her name be a concern.
Amanda (25), DF (26) and DS (3). Miscarriage July 2010 and BFP in August 2010. Stick baby!! EDD 05/8/2011

shanastash responded:
i don't think it matters! BUT, i think that with the Y is more feminine. hehe, whatever that means! i just mean with all the new spellings in the world now, the Y looks "prettier". good luck!!! (this is coming from a lurker who named her kid a name we made up! jenna raya (a hebrew word that means soulmate) and so we got jennaraya! :)
Shana-27, Darrin-29, angel baby (fishie-14w5d) found out @ 17wks. Dx: MTHFR and FV Leiden. BFP 3.12.10 Jennaraya Kailani born 11.16.10 @ 11:48 pm, 8 lbs. 1 oz. 20.25 inches long!

jedmonds12 replied to shanastash's response:
I really do like them both equally. As far as making it simpler on her throughout her life, I'd use the e instead of the y. Then again, this is coming from someone whose child will have a Hawaiian name that will likely be misspelled or mis-pronounced his entire life (hence why I insisted on also giving him an English name). I think he, like you, would enjoy having the option later. But I also think that with all the unique and (sometimes) completely made-up names in the world, you could probably spell Gwen's name however you wanted and it still wouldn't be as bad as D'brickashaw Ferguson. ;)
Julie (27) DF (34). One MC 5/10 at 7 wks. BFP 8/9/10! It's a boy!!! EDD 4/18/11

Mandy_Smiles responded:
Thank you everyone for voting and the responses! We are still thinking about it and probably won't make a final decision until she is born.

SHANA!!! How are you and Jennaraya?!
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gweneth Grace :)

mrslee97658 replied to Mandy_Smiles's response:
Don't worry about people mispelling it. My maiden name before I was married was not recognized as a word document. I had to go my whole life with people mispronouncing it, me correcting them. I couldn't do nothing about it because it was my last name that couldn't be changed until I got married :). There is nothing wrong with you want to spell her name Gwenyth. I think it looks very pretty spelled that way.
Me Ruth(27), DH (42) DS1(11), DD(8), DS2(5), DS3(3) M/c 1@6wks 9/06,M/C 2 D

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking.... (Graduate)
My DS name is Cristopher. Yes I know it is missing the "h". His name has been misspelled several times. I only had to tell the school once and from then on they have spelled it correctly. Now he on the other hand just writes Crist. He is still working on the rest of his name. You will figure it out. It maybe when she is born but you will eventually come to a decision.
Sarah (32), SO(32, DD1(11), DS1(6), DS2(5), DS3(3), EDD 11/19/10 Pink, 4m/c's

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mama of three, a preteen boy, and two girls ages 2 and 4. TTC since July of 09 with a couple of roadblocks along the way, I had a chemical pregnancy i...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
I'm just copying a tip from another board ( parenting 1 year olds )...hope you find it helpful! I know everyone is missing the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.