Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
This is kinda non preggo related but I'm worried
MommaSampson posted:
I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep my job. I work for an independently owned insurance agency. In November it was sold and someone who was already a part of the agency bought it. Then he left in January. As of February another agency within the same company bought it. Now I don't have hardly any of the responsiblities that I did and I was told if the agents within the office I'm in don't produce $20K then there's a good possiblity they won't keep me. Well it's been a little over a month now and these guys aren't even producing $10K. This week they didn't turn in anything! I had a conversation with the now main office administrator and it really made me uneasy cause I just kept getting this vibe of "If they don't do something this week, you're gone." I just drove all the way to our Main Agency office and spent two days making sure I was doing everything they did, which since I was the only office admin in this office until the latest guy took over I was. I'm the main bread winner for our family. My thought is how long are they going to give these guys to get going? It's March I'm due in June. If they let me go within the next month or so I'm not going to be able to find a job and we won't make it on my husband's pay. Should I start looking around so I'm prepared if they do let me go? I don't know what to do! My DH says it's out of my hands and that I shouldn't worry about it.
I'm Heather(26) and DH is 29.  We have two little girls, 6 & 4.  We are expecting baby 3, little boy Aidan, in June 2011! Go Blue!

cheyenne828 responded:
I'm so sorry! That is very stressful, I know, at a time when you don't need stress. If they lay you off, can you collect unemployment? While not ideal, I would imagine it might help tide you over until shortly after the baby is born and you can get back out there. HTH. Crossing my fingers for you!
Pam 37, DH 37 ~ TTC 1 ~ BFP 5/29/09, MC 7/7/09 ~ BFP 12/14/09, early MC 12/20/09 ~ BFP 7/24/10, EDD 4/2/11, yellow team

shanastash responded:
i would find a new job just because it doesn't sound like it's gonna stay solid even if they do keep you. but that's just my opinion! good luck!
Shana-27, Darrin-29, angel baby (fishie-14w5d) found out @ 17wks. Dx: MTHFR and FV Leiden. BFP 3.12.10 Jennaraya Kailani born 11.16.10 @ 11:48 pm, 8 lbs. 1 oz. 20.25 inches long!

bbylove21 responded:
Great , more stress!!.. I really hope things work out. We're also waiting on my husband to get this really good job that would help out a ton..I just wish everything was in line before june also Hugs.
Adriana(21) DH(26) mc at 9 weeks in 5/22/10 BFP!! 9/25/10 EDD 6/29/10 Yay summer baby!! Chicago is cold! Yellow team

marchbabee replied to bbylove21's response:
I just went through this myself. I worked at a learning center up until this past Saturday. My boss told me last Monday that she was closing the doors on Saturday. I'm due in August, so no one is going to hire me in my current state, plus there's no teaching jobs in the state I currently live in. So, I'm going to collect unemployment, which may work out well for us since I was going to stop working once the baby came. Now, I can be paid during that time. We'll see!

Mandy_Smiles responded:
I was laid off back in January and I have been applying for jobs but haven't even gotten 1 call for an interview. I am drawing unemployment, but I hate the thought of being on unemployment at all. I never thought in a million years I would be on unemployment. If you are being let go due to performance it is legal for them to do that whether you are pregnant or not. It is unfortunate when they set the bar so high that nobody can hit the goals. It was always like that at my job, but they typically set the goals so high so that they didn't have to ever pay us extra commission for hitting goals, so they just made them unachievable so that nobody ever hit goals at all. I was in a different situation though. I was laid off because they couldn't cover me during my maternity leave and FMLA couldn't protect me since there are only a handful of people who work in the office I worked in. There's a clause in FMLA that there must be 50 employees within a 75 mile radius for it to apply (something like that) and the company I worked for wasn't large enough to meet that requirement. So, basically I was let go because I am pregnant, not due to performance. Do you think you will qualify for unemployment if they let you go? Are you considering looking for a new job right now before they let you go? I'm sorry you have been put in this situation. I know it is impossible, but try to not stress over it because it is out of your hands. All you can do is give 100% and hope that they recognize that you are doing the best that you can with what you are working with. KUP.
Mandy 26, DH 31, Angel Baby @ 13weeks April 2010, EDD 3/27/11 and we are thinking about calling her Gweneth Grace :)

MommaSampson responded:
Well since I'm the office staff I don't have any "performance" goals I have to meet. Our agents are independent contractors, where I'm employed by the owner. I don't know how unemployment would work for me. I called the other day and all the lady said was "You need to bring proof that you've been working for the past 18 months." I said do you want a letter or paystubs and she said "We need proof." I got that the first time around, thanks. Anyways, I was thinking about looking around. I'm a licensed agent for life insurance but in my area all those jobs are commission based only, not that I wouldn't take that if it came to it but I've not done sales in a long time. My mom suggested I go and get auto and home licensing and that way I could work in a more diverse office. I just don't know. I live in rural WV so there's really not a whole lot of jobs around here outside of coal mining and even those are few and far between. I kind of just want to see if I can stick it out, see if things turn around and if not, ride it out until June. Then just see if I can find something else.
I'm Heather(26) and DH is 29. We have two little girls, 6

Spotlight: Member Stories

Maggie (33), DH (38), DS (23m) & LO#2 is on the way 3/30/10...We're having a surprise! We are watched over by 3 little angles.

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.