Includes Expert Content
Having a baby at 36 ??
georgiagirl76 posted:
I am 34 now, and want to try and have another baby before or by the time I am 36. I know women are doing more and more of this at much older ages but, really, how much of a risk will I be taking with this? This will however be my 4th child and that is all I want, one more.

phoenix31674 responded:
part of it depends on your health and if you had any complications in your previous pregnancies. I had my first at 32, complication free and did just fine with no complications for my second at 36. I am healthy with no pre-existing conditions and normal weight. not in as good of shape as I would have liked, but not bad. honestly, it didn't feel much different for me, but others have reported that getting pregnant 35 they really feel it and feel old. I took DD to Disneyland Paris, traipsed around Edingburgh, London and Paris, 8 hour road trip to the Netherlands and hiking in the Bavarian alps at 32 weeks with a cable car trip up a really big mountain, so I'm not a sedentary person (currently living in Germany, so none of this is a huge trip distance wise).

Kay Johnson, CNM responded:
There is nothing about being 35 that puts you at high risk other than the increased chances that you have developed a medical problem such as diabetes or high blood pressure. If that hasn't been a problem with the first 3 pregnancies, it shouldn't be much of a risk with this one. Testing for these and other medical problems are a normal part of prenatal care.

At 35, you have a 1/250 chance of having a baby with Downs Syndrome. This risk starts increasing rapidly at 35. Your OB or midwife should offer you testing for this and other kinds of birth defects. Many women decline to be tested.

There are an increasing number of women nowdays who are delaying their childbearing til their mid-30s. For those who are healthy, it's a reasonable choice.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I had my first when I was 38 and my second when I was 40. Both pregnancies were complication free. I couldn't tell you if it was harder since I was "older" since I have nothing to compare it to. They will probably do more testing but that's about it.