Help! Sharp & constant pain in upper abdomen. 28 weeks pregnant.
SKStanton posted:
I am 31 years old and currently 28 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have been having sharp and constant pain in my upper abdomen for 4 days now. It is below my sternum but above the uterus at this time. The pain is sharp and for the most part it is constant, with sharp bursts of pain here and there. It hurts even to the touch or with pressure and it almost feels like the pain is just below the skin, if that makes sense. I called the on-call doctor for my Ob/Gyn the other night and when I described everything to her she said she was almost certain that it was my rectus abdominal muscles separating. She said that it happens to some women late in pregnancy. She said that I could take Tylenol, put a hot/warm compress on it and to just take it easy for the next couple days. She said if I did that, then it should feel better within a 2 days or so. Well, I've done all that, and it's been four days and well, it actually feels worse. It got to the point today that I couldn't get comfortable at all and that even the motion of breathing, with my tummy going in and out, even hurt. (not breathing itself, just the motion of my abdomen moving). I called the on-call doctor again, as it was after hours again at my doctor's office. And I got a different doctor. This time, the doctor said he didn't know what it could be. He thought it could be an upper GI issue. He didn't think it was anything pregnancy related. But I don't think so. It doesn't feel "deep" enough in my body to be a G.I. issue and I DO feel like it's a pregnancy related pain.

Can anyone help me figure out what might be going on? And if so, can you tell me how I can help with the pain? And if I should seek more treatment? I already plan on calling my OB in the morning...but honestly, I need answers now.

Please help!

Sincerely,
Ouch!

AnnaMarie89 responded:
Is it near the lower part of your ribs? I had HELLP syndrome with my last pregnancy.. and had very bad pain that was at the lower part of my ribs and even between my shoulder blades on my back.

What are the Symptoms of HELLP Syndrome?The most common symptoms of HELLP syndrome include:
  • Headaches
  • Nausea and vomiting that continue to get worse (this may also feel like a serious case of the flu.)
  • Upper right abdominal pain or tenderness
  • Fatigue or malaise
A woman with HELLP may experience other symptoms that often can be attributed to other things such as normal pregnancy concerns or other pregnancy conditions. These symptoms may include:
  • Visual disturbances
  • High blood pressure
  • Protein in urine
  • Edema (swelling)
  • Severe headaches
  • Bleeding

and this is the site I got that information from..
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/hellpsyndrome.html

AnnaMarie89 responded:
If you think it may be HELLP syndrome. I would def. go directly to the emergency room. And make them do blood work on you and check for low platelets, liver function, and red blood cells.

battleforlife responded:
I had a similar situation with my first child. I thought it was the baby just stretching, had it on and off the last couple of months, When I finally had my baby , 2 months later I had the same pain. I thought I was going to die, I call my doctor and she rushed me to the hospital. It was my gallbladder swollen . I was in the hospital for a week till the swelling went down, then they operated. I would really ask my doctor about that. Best of luck and congrats

An_219993 replied to battleforlife's response:
I've never had that pain while pregnant, but I've had it and it was my gall bladder just like battleforlife mentioned. Two doctors and two different stories... since it's the weekend you might want to go to the ER or find an urgent care that's open. Keep us posted on how you're doing!