Includes Expert Content
Ambiguous Genitalia
An_246734 posted:
I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and I was told that my baby has ambiguous genitalia and they cannot determine if it is a boy or a girl. I am having other testing completed, but I need to put my mind at rest. Is there a chance that everything will clear up and my baby will be born as an obvious girl or boy? I am fearful for my child's psychological well-being if the baby is born with ambiguous genitalia. Thanks for any advice.

scperdomo7 responded:
Of course there is a chance that everything will be fine! Hopefully this next test will shine some more light on everything. Best wishes!!

Robert O Atlas, MD responded:
I really liked the other response. Yes, it could be normal. The issue is what other test are they performing on you.

There are a number of causes of ambiguous genitalia. There is really nothing to do at this point in time. Unfortunately, worrying will not help you and may cause other issues

I do hope they can clear this up prior to delivery, but certainly after the delivery you will be able to get a better sense what is happening if anything.

I do wish you the best of luck and do hope everything is normal.