Includes Expert Content
Incompetent Cervix
MartinaWilliams posted:
Hello, I was on these boards back in 2009. At about 20 weeks I had to do a cervical suture due to an incompetent cervix. Im now pregnant with my 2nd child and I'm wondering if I have to undergo another suture this time around. I would just love to know what are the odds of this happening again.

Also, I had an emergency c section with my 1st child. How risky is it to try a VBAC? I would love to have a vaginal delievery but I was told the 1st time that my pelvic was too small.

Thanks for any help or advice.

scperdomo7 responded:
Hello and welcome back! I'm not really familiar with all that, so perhaps another member could give you some more information.

I would definitely be speaking with my OB about all that though, as he/she would be more privvy to your health information that us.

Either way, best wishes!!

Robert O Atlas, MD responded:
You will certainly have a number of decisions to make here.

First, the issue of the cervical insufficiency. if you truly had this issue, most individuals would recommend you undergo an elective cerclage between 12-14 weeks.

You did not include what your cervix was, what was the reasoning behind doing the cerclage. This is all important information to know. I believe your physician and you are the best to decide this however.

I am very familar with this issue, one I deal with quite a bit.

The other issue of whether to have a trial of labor after C/S (TOLAC), is another issue. The risk of uterine rupture is the biggest fear individuals have. The risk is approximately 0.4-0.7%. This is considered fairly low.

However, if you have been told you have a small pelvis, then there is literature which would suggest a repeat C/S would in fact be the safest option for you.

Again, these will need to be discussed with your physician. good luck with your decisions.