Includes Expert Content
Backed up...
sroshell posted:
I'm 23 weeks pregnant, and with all the birth defect lawsuit commercials on tv i'm overly cautious with what I take. With that said, I've become a little constipated and I'm concerned about taking laxatives. I know for a fact that drinking regular milk would make me "go" because I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm wondering would that hurt the baby. Please help.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Try prune juice. That worked for me.

Talk to your doctor about what you can take for constipation.

beckie_33 responded:
What really helps me when I get "backed up" is eating yogurt, i've also found that eating foods with extra fiber or taking extra fiber also helps. Metamusil (sp) has a free and clear that is pretty good and it doesn't have any warnings about pregnant women talking with their doctor first before taking.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Sroshell and Welcome!

Thanks for your great responses ladies! I just wanted to add this resource - Common Pregnancy Pains and Their Causes .

And for my fellow lactose sufferer - How Can I Get Enough Calcium If I'm Lactose Intolerant?

Hope this is helpful! Let us know how you are doing.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Robert O Atlas, MD responded:
So, when some of our patients get constipated, we use Milk of Magnesia without cascara. It is a gentle laxative and works very well. It can be used every 8 hours until you go. We would suggest taking it once and see how it goes. If you don't get any response then repeat the dose.

Increasing your intake of fluids, fiber will help you hopefully be more regular.